Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Which City?
10 Posts
We went to Krakow last September and the prices for eating out etc were very reasonable. We had a wonderful meal in the Jewish Quarter - 3 courses, wine, coffees and a concert for about £27.
We were also in Krakow at Christmas time last year. Market stalls in the square. Prices reasonable. We had a great time.

We've been to Prague also and Krakow I would say is very similar, market-wise and in architecture.
I've been to both cities and preferred Krakow. It's compact - so it's easy to walk everywhere, there's lots to do and see and it's very pretty, especially in the winter when there's snow on the ground. It's been a few years since I last visited the city but it was very cheap then - I guess that its popularity with stag parties now has pushed the prices up a bit.

U2fan
we have been to budapest, prague and warsaw, we preferred prague the best out of them. budapest is nice but very spread out and whereas in prague you can walk from say old town to charles bridge easy ,budapest you need to use transport and we kept getting lost as all the places of interest are so far apart. prices similar to prague. we visited marrakech recently and that was fab and got very cheap flights
Thanks for all the replies - what did we do before the internet and forums :lol:

I think it's going to be Krakow, I like being able to walk around a compact city - with streetmap in hand, getting lost :? You sometimes see places you may have missed when that happens!

Any tips on where to stay? If we want want to be central, what part of city should we be looking at? Hotel suggestions would be welcome too, just need it to be clean with breakfast included.

Thanx
Hi vicco

You can't go wrong with the Pollera Hotel - it's cheap (65 euro per room per night in December, including breakfast), clean and very central; only a few minutes walk from the main square. The staff were really friendly and helpful too. If you do stay here, ask for a room overlooking the theatre, which is all lit up at night.

Here's the website:

http://www.pollera.com.pl/en/index.htm

We've also stayed in the Hotel Polonia, which was also cheap and clean but a bit further out of town, opposite the train and bus stations.

U2fan
If you have been to Praga, I'd suggest you take Budapest for a difference. Although in Eastern Europe they are very different. Budapest is a very strange city - like it or hate ir but you will never forget it.
Hi Just booked Krakow for 4 days at the beginning of December. Had a great deal on flights and accommodation. Staying at the Hotel Campanille in the centre. Check out tripadvisor.co.uk and they'll come up with some fab prices for you. With what we've paid hubby thinks we're staying in someone's garden shed!!!!
Budapest. Krakow is rather grim, and uninteresting. I went to both cities on my last trip to E europe and I wish I'd stayed longer in Budapest.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.