General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I would recommend Paris or Barcelona. We really liked Paris, but eating out was expensive.

luci :wave
That would be the problem Luci. We love eating out and trying the traditional foods of the countries that we visit. I cook all year long so I don't particularly want to do it on holidays. My daughter and hubby went to Paris last year, and although they had a great time, :clap they found all aspects of the city expensive. I went to Barcelona on a school cruise at the grand old age of 14 and returned 2 years later, but I can't really remember the place. We do loads of research before we book all our holidays and I've found that you can't beat the opinions of fellow travellers that have been there previously - beats any brochure.
We loved Barcelona, despite having 2 small children with us, and found some inexpensive places to eat good Spanish food even on La Rambla. We have always said we'll go back sometime without the children.
My favourite weekend break was Venice.

Absolutely gorgeous and small enough to cover in a couple of days, the airport (Marco Polo) is right across the bay from the islands and taking a waterbus means very cheap transfers which are a bit different to the normal coach or underground you get elsewhere.

It needn't be expensive to eat or stay either just head away from St Mark's Square and everything get cheaper and many of the Lo cost Airlines fly there now.
Berlin is a great destination for a short break, it's lively and not expensive.
I have just been to Berlin for the Christmas markets, it was great and they have an excellent public transport system.

Also, in addition to the other suggestions, what about Madrid? Went there last year and loved it, no-one spoke English, it was great and the tapas bars were everywhere!! It is also very compact, you can easily walk around it in a couple of days.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm probably looking at October or February half term next year - but I'm a stickler for research!
How about Budapest, to continue with your eastern European theme? I also believe Riga is lovely - I haven't been yet but it's on my list.

I also enjoyed Rome and especially Venice, which as the previous poster said does not have to be too expensive. Also Florence would make a terrific city break, it's back on my list after recently watching "A room with a view".
Both Budapest & Riga are on my list of places to go. I wonder what other travellers have to say about these places!
ive been to budapest and although it was nice in my opinion not as nice as prague, we have been to quite a few cities and apart from prague being 1 of my favourites we had a fab time im marrakech, so much to see and do and food was reasonably cheap to eat out, i loved it and got cheap flights and good priced hotel

another place that is fairly nice but has fab places to visit around with stunning scenery is ljubljana in slovenia, lake bled is nearby and is wonderful with the most beautiful scenery around, also in Postojna is 1 of the worlds biggest caves thats about 12 miles long and you go in on a train til you have an hours walk inside and it is breathtaking

i have put photos in the gallery of both these places and happy to answer any questions

have a look at these websites

http://www.showcaves.com/english/si/showcaves/Postojna.html

http://www.bled.si/EN/default.asp?id=465

http://www.ljubljana-tourism.si/
Thanks ellie meg. We'd like to go to Marrakesh but there are no cheap flights from our regional airports ie Cardiff & Bristol. Usually travelling further afield puts the extra cost of a nights accommodation on, and then it turns out not so cheap!
i was really lucky to get cheap flights from luton its not our local airport but only 1 hr 15 mins away so that was fine. when we went to slovenia we had to fly from stansted which is 2 hrs 30 mins away to trieste in italy then hire a car and drive there, but we dont mind going to further afield airports within 3 hrs as long as we get a good deal lol
How about Lisbon? Has a range of cheap flights and is compact. Weather in February may only be slightly better than here but October should be pleasant.
ellie meg - that's our problem - there are no other airports within 3 hours of us.
thats a shame , we are lucky to live in the midlands and have birmingham half hour away and east mids 45 mins away and also only be within 1 1/2 from gatwick, so we can get some good flight deals. good luck let us know where you end up going
My sister lives in Daventry, so in the past we've stayed with her and flown from Luton a couple of times. I quite like that airport.
Daventry is only about 20 mins from me, so birmingham or east mids should be ok from her house i guess
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.