Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Just thought I would comment, I have also been to Lefkas and Parga. I absolutely love Parga, we did have our honeymoon there and went back for our 10yr anniversary. We were worried it would not live up to the original expections and apart from the fact we did not get so many freebies as when we were on honeymoon! (which was fantastic, as soon as they knew we were on honeymoon we had loads of free food and drink! One night we did not pay for a drink at all!) it was still as lovely as we remembered. We have told loads of people about Parga (sorry to send the masses) and every one of them has loved it. We did like Lefkas aswell, mainly because we had the most fantastic room a stones throw from the beach, never stayed self catering so close to a beach before. The only thing and this is the opposite of what someone else said, is the resort (Nidri) was absolutely empty when we went and because of this there was very little atmosphere (some football tournament was on at the time, can't remember what but we always went to Greece either June or September) Also I prefer a sandy beach. Also been to Thassos, Kefalonia, Skiathos, Zante (twice), Halkidiki, Kalynmos and the only place I really would not go back to, Corfu! I found the people there really fed up of the English, and nothing like the real Greeks that I know and love. Would love to go to Samos and also Stoupa some time.
One of the things that appealed re Lefkas was that when we went there for the day I thought it was pretty amazing looking out at all the little islands. Parga and Stoupa look lovely and I have always wanted to go to the main land but so far it seems a tad over our budget as we have to go in the school hols.

I guess that is the beauty of the Greek Islands - there is something for everyone and I guess each island has its pros and cons- for instance we loved Rhodes but hated all the unfinished building everywhere, I have never seen anything as bad anywhere else. Kefalonia is beautiful and the drive in the north up to Fiskardo is amazing but I miss the sense of history you get elsewhere in Greece.
how can i have a favourite, We still have over 150 inhabited islands to see.. :que and not enough time and money to do it :cry of all we have seen so far, our favourite is Kos and our least liked Kirkira [Corfu]

yasus
wizard
Rachael. We got a good deal with Direct Greece (part of Direct Holidays) to Stoupa in the school hols. Not sure if they still operate? Gail
thanks, will look at direct Greece - many thanks indeed
I haven't replied here yet as I can't choose a favourite island. Also, unless you've done a bit of a tour of the island you can't base your judgement on one resort. There are good and not so good places on most islands.

I've been to Kos x2, Zante (second time coming up in Aug), Corfu x2, Santorini and Crete and have loved them all. They each have different things to offer so I can't pick a favourite. I'm sure (health permitting) we'll be visiting quite a few more. I think the next on my list will be Kephalonia.
Hi beach Lizard, enjoyed reading your little snippet! I went to Spestes 25 years ago and have never been back to Greece.we are thinking of booking for Greece next year. We have done longhaul for the last few years and have decided to go closer to home. Where on Kos would you recommend? We like going out and about, the beach and the pool, so we are really easy to please!! Sitting in a taverna watching the world go by takes a lot of beating too! Hotel or apartment? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. many thanks Jazz x
Hi Jazz this is where we go every 2 years or so, its 2km from Kahdamena village [the party capital] but we go up in the day time and sit in one of the bars overlooking the harbour to people watch

yasus
wizard
Hi Wizard, looked at the link and wow!! Now the research begins! thanks again,

Jazz x
We've been to Corfu, Kos, Skiathos and Thassos (2'ce) which so far has been our favourite.
We visit Zante for the very first time next Thursday in the hope of finding a little late summer sunshine.
I love the tiny island of Symi. You can get there from Rhodes. It is also very close to Turkey and in season there is a ferry to the harbour town of Datca on Saturdays for the market. I think a week on Symi followed by a week on the Datca peninsula would be great. This Turkish peninsula is often called a half island and prior to 1923 was inhabited by many Greeks. The main town of Symi is so pretty with pastle coloured buildings on a steep hill surrounding the harbour.
I agree absolutely with beautiful Symi. We have been to Lefkadas, Parga, Thasos, Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonissos, Paxos, Crete, Samos but always return to Symi. Already booked for next May (15th visit). I'm getting to know this place! When we arrive, people run out and say "Welcome home". Yes, it is like home and we keep in touch with locals and regulars throughout the year.
Corfu for me, have only been to 5 tho.

Kefalonia was great for scenery but we thought the main town lacked any atmosphere.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.