Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Which island
5 Posts
Hi there,

I can't give you any help with Samos or Thassos, as we've never been to either, but we were in Zakynthos 2 years ago, and really loved it. We stayed in Tsilivi, which has a lovely sandy beach, which is very safe. Tsilivi also has numerous good restaurants, and plenty of bars, but it's not a lagerlout place (well it certainly wasn't when we were there in 2005, end of August. Zakynthos is a beautiful island, and it would be well worth hiring a car, and getting to see the place for yourselves. There is a boat-trip (Levante) that is supposed to be very good. It's a 1/2 day tour, leaving early in the morning. You can also go and see the blue caves and the shipwreck, and the loggerhead turtles, which are found near Kalamaki/Laganas. You could also do a day trip to Kefalonia, which again, is supposed to be a beautiful island. Zakythos Town is pretty, and has a large port area. Bochalli, is a small area that overlooks the town, it's a fantastic view, and worth the hike up the hill :lol: Vasillikos is another lovely small, quiet resort, with a fabulous beach. It's nice for a day of lazing in the sun.

We found the Greek people in Zakynthos to be some of the friendlist people we ever met, very genuine and helpful.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice re. the other islands, as well as Zakynthos. Good luck choosing an island & resort :wink:
I can also only speak about Zakynthos. We've been twice to Laganas and Argassi and had a great holiday in each resort. The island is small enough for you to get out and about and explore. The trip to Smugglers Cove is a must. Hubby & I are 50 but still like a little fun & nightlife, and as we went at the end of September even Laganas was lovely and pleasant minus the lager louts.
if you fancy Samos you could try Pythagorion but stay outside of resort as it is quite busy, it has lots of nice tavernas and a few bars.
I have been to Samos and stayed in Samos Town, although it was a few years ago. There are direct flights. There is a good beach in Town and an excellent bus service which will take you to several other attractive places, including round the island. It is a large island and you may wish to hire a car for a day or two. Try a trip to Pythagorion with a good harbour and masses of tavernas. Pythagoras is remembered here in many ways. Samos is, of course, the home of the best ouzo and a splendid range of wines, including Amethystos and Nectar, which puts Chateau Yquem to shame. Here's a good map: http://www.diavlos.gr/maps/bigsamosmap.html
Thasos is wonderful and we have thoroughly enjoyed our trips there. A working island with marble quarries and only 6 miles by ferry from Kavalla or Keramoti. Excellent for walking. Very good beaches. A beautiful harbour. A good range of bars and tavernas. If my beloved Symi disappears beneath the waves, I shall return there. In fact, I will anyway.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.