Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Wildernest ?
22 Posts
Try here /www.wildernest-goa.com

Al
Thanks. I got a prompt reply to my booking enquiry but it is a bit expensive,I'll wait and see if they come back with a better rate.
Dave
Hi Dave :wave:
I stayed at the Galaxy 2006/7 and here is the report I posted, it might be helpful, the Hotel has changed management since then, so things could be different.
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=90844&hilit=utorda+beach
x lassi
Thanks Lassigirl sounds just the ticket for us. A week sounds about right before moving on.
I'll wait and see if they come back with a better rate.

You'll be lucky. :tup
I'll let you know Max !!!!
Hey, not many people want to stay for a week !
They have come back with an offer of 10% discount for a weeks stay. Still a bit expensive depending on your viewpoint , the going rates are R7000 and R6000 per double room per night.
The place looks good on the web site, all meals are included too, plus if you're into wildlife as I am you have all sorts on offer.
I am keen to find out what the temperatures are going to be like for sunbathing and pool lounging as , whereas I'm happy to go walkabout, my o/h likes to chill.
Help !!!!! Any ideas anyone ?
Hi Dave

I stayed at Backwoods camp last year and it was fantastic. It has two faces a camp for Holiday makers and a seperate camp for bird watchers. It can be as intense or laid back as you like. I shall be returning again this year.

I wrote a report on this if you would like to read it click on link. (half way down page is Backwoods)

http://www.wildrossendale.co.uk/GoaTripReport-2009.html
Wow that's a report and a half with some excellent information included.
I'm into bird photography my o/h isn't and is bored stiff if I hang around taking photo's. Wildernest has a swimming pool so it's ideal as she can be happy too, whereas, much as I would like to visit Backwoods it simply wouldn't offer anything for her.
We stayed at the MD last November so much of your report covered places I had been.If you had continued to the end of the Baga ridge and dropped down to the rock pool area next to Anjuna beach you would have had superb views of Sand Plovers !
The walk around Anjuna headland to Baga bridge is stunning if you are interested in birds or not and gets you away from the hassle of Baga beach.
The Widernest incidentally have offered me a 5% discount on a 4 night stay which might be what we settle for as even that would be more expensive than the 12 night return visit to the MD we have already booked !
We went to Wildernest a couple of years ago, and booked through goa footprints (near magnum). Their rates were less than booking direct with Wildernest, so it might be worth dropping them an email.

http://www.goafootprints.com/wildernest.htm

I think a week could be a bit long, its lovely, but totally isolated.

Nanette
Thanks Nanette,
We have also arrived at the conclusion that maybe a week would be too long ....... and too expensive, especially if it doeasn't turn out as expected. I have read as many reports as I can find and haven't found any bad ones but one person mentioned that the trails were limited ( so after a few days you might feel you had done them all) and that the food might get repetitive if you were there for a length of time too.
We are going to try 4 nights instead. Trouble is , I have now booked the first 7 nights at Utorda Beach, then have a 7 night block to fill before moving on to our next booking. If 4 nights is at the Wildernest I have to try and find an economical 3 night stay to cover the gap. Monarch holidays only appear to have 7 night or more bookings available !
Hi Dave if you are moving up north for the final stage of your holiday,try Kingstork in Holiday Street
for the 3 nights. we are staying there just 5 nights before we move on to our timeshare,Stanley the
owner is very helpfull and he may have a 3night gap when you need it,this will be our 4th time there.
annx :)
Hi again,
Possibly you could try the Benaulim area for a few days, I gave the details of a small hotel, with pool on the Southern Goa thread, and there are lot's of Guesthouses. I'm not sure if this would suit http://www.blue-corner-goa.com but it would be economical, I had a look around and it's very clean and tidy, in a beautiful position on benaulim beach, and the restaurant is good.
x lassi
Thanks for the suggestions Ann and Lassi.
I rang Monarch this morning and got our stay at the Galaxy Resort, Utorda Beach extended to 10 nights instead of the original 7 ( no problem on the phone, can't do it on the web) , leaving 4 nights free for the Wildernest. We then move on to the Marinha Dourada for the rest of our stay.
Hope the Galaxy turns out OK ! We know what to expect from the M.D. and surrounds having been before ( outstanding value for money) but , although it's quite a bit more expensive at the Galaxy, we wanted to dry somewhere different as well as familiar territory.
Fingers crossed we haven't dropped a clanger !
cheers
Dave

PS 5% discount ( for a 4 night stay) is better than a kick up the rear Max ! R1400 should buy a couple of beers there...... I hope !

PPS Anyone know roughly how much the bar prices are likely to be ? You are not allowed to take your own either .
thanks to sleeper for a great report very useful to the OH as she is a birder we will use the backwoods camp next year and follow alot of your footprints
Anyone know roughly how much the bar prices are likely to be

Maybe 10-15% dearer than a shack at most, bear in mind that you are in the middle of nowhere! Wouldn't worry about prices!
Hi dave :cry
We went to the Wildernest two seasons ago in November, sorry we were not impressed. We found it expensive at 7000 rupees for a cabin with a view, per night. The room was very dirty and you could not see the view due to overgrown vegitation in front of the balcony. :yikes I remember there was five sun beds around the pool area at the time and not much room for much more, but the pool was good. The food was restricted and pool towels were limited in poor condition and not clean. Kingfisher beer was then 100 rupees and in Candolim we were paying 60 average, at that time. Staff were excellent and in the evening the lady dancers from the village were also good. We did complain and write to the 3 owners at the time, neither could be bothered to reply. We heard that they were planning to increase the number of cabins, if possible view the rooms before paying. Two nights was enough.
pieeater1uk

You are welcome. Glad you found the report useful. We too are returning in 2010 and will be repeat customers at Backwoods. Who knows we might bump into you!
Doc, Appreciate your views,,,and thanks for the tip re checking the room out (assuming they have an alternative to offer.) I think it's pretty expensive too, we'll be paying R6650 per night for a valley view room..so I expect a Valley view. Yours is the first negative report I have read and I'm pleased I have done as it lowers my expectations and lessens the chance of being dissappointed !
Incidentally, do they have electric sockets in the rooms ? I need to recharge my camera batteries ( hoping to see plenty to photograph!)
Neil, I can live with R100 for a beer for a few nights so it won't spoil my enjoyment !!!!
I think the Wildernest should be a different experience to Backwoods especially if you stay in a tent at the latter. Has anybody been to both ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.