Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
On the subject of acohol, what are the local spirits and beers and are there any that are particularly good or ones to avoid. We're going AI so it's local drinks that are free isn't it? Back to the wine, if I took 2 wine boxes in my suitcases I think they would be over the weight limit, by the time I've got all my sun cream and toiletries packed I'm always close to the limit!
Hi Swiss,

Read on another topic that there is now a Duty Free at Taba Airport, can you confirm this??

Cheers
Jilly
Unfortunately despite driving past the Taba airport hundreds of times I have never been inside since about ten years ago when the terminal was in the old blue hangar.

There is a duty free shop at the Taba Hilton shopping mall annex but I think its closed at the moment.
Yes Jilly, there is one at Taba airport, but it's only a tiny one. They only had a small selection of ciggies, drink and chocolate
To quote an earlier poster flippin' 'eck!! :yikes
I like my wine with my dinner ( and after!!) so this is something I would have to take into account if booking an Egyptian hol.
I would be prepared to pay£13 for a bottle if needs be but not £40!!
Is the local plonk ok?
What about the costs of meals themselves. Is eating out very expensive also??
{Isn't this forum brill...you can find out so much useful info from those who have been before!! :bow }
Hi lyn9856, think my challenge might be to find a cheap bottle of wine!!!
Thanks for the info Everest, Swiss. Will bring what I can in my suitcases then, ye ole vino tinto is a big part of my holiday but I sure 'aint going to pay £14 for a bottle... well ok then, maybe if Im realllly stuck. From what I can gather in this wonderful forum, the local stuff is Obelisk and its drinkable, but then wine is a personal thing I believe, what suits one, dosent necessary suit the other person.

Jilly
So glad Katiesmum is asking lots of questions! Makes me feel better!
Now, can anyone tell me if I will be able to get tonic water to go wiv me Vodka in Egypt? Or orange juice? Also, can you buy large straw hats there? And what about flip flops? :thanks
I thought 12 USD for a bottle of Absolut was cheap - went to duty freeshop with my egyptian boyfriend - and paid £9 sterling for 3 bottles as he works in a club and they recognised him from when he was in regularly with his boss!

I will be in Sharm on 28, 29 and 30th April if anyone wants to borrow him!
(Lol)
Briar, I know this topic was on before but I cant find it.

Some of the more enterprising of us decided to put wine boxes in our cases travelling out to Taba, because wine if so expensive there.

I was just wondering, will these be visible when the luggage goes through the security machine and if so will we hauled off and reprimanded?? :oops:

Jilly
Hi All

Does anyone know if you can get a rose wine in Sharm or is it just white and red?? im a rose drinker not so keen on white but will settle if nothing else and detest red i like mine very chilled so reds a nono.

cheers Debs
Ah Briar, reliable as usual!

Thank you!
Hi Debs,

We stayed at Hilton Sharks Bay last August for 7 nights and drank plenty of local rose wine. A bit of an acquired taste, but after the first glass or two, it's not too bad................. :lol:
You shouldn't have any bother finding it in your hotel (we were all inclusive - so probably over-indulged a bit :oops: )

Have a great time!

Tills.
Hi Debs,

You will find Egyptian Rose wine all over Egypt including Sharm. The only thing I would advise is to make sure that your first one of the day comes from a fresh bottle as it doesn't "improve" if kept in a fridge overnight behind the bar.

Carren and I always drink rose or red in Egypt. Imagine how delighted we were to find chilled rose on draught at The Coral in Nuweiba on our last visit!

Regards,

Roger.
Hi Tills & Roger

Thanks for all the info.
Im hoping the Conrad has a steady flow on tap the same as the Coral Roger although i might have drank it all before you arrive :lol: mmm i do like a nice chilled rose whatever the taste and as you say you get by the first you dont mind what the second tastes like .

:glynis :glynis

Cheers Debs
Briar, dont tell me off please :oops: , I know wine boxes have been discussed before but I really need more information regarding the transport of said wine box.

Hi Everyone

Has anyone taken wineboxes in their luggage inflight and if so, did they Burst??

Am off on Monday to Taba, have the wine bought ( very expensive in Hyatt Regency) and was wondering if the pressure on board might expand the wine bag inside the box?

Its just that I took some large packets of those Walkers Sensations crisps one time and when I got off aircraft and unpacked, the bags had blown up but hadnt burst.

Just a bit worried :(

Would really appreciate any information.

Jilly
Interesting point Jilly. I don't know the answer but bursting does seem a possibility.

Why didn't you wait, buy the wineboxes duty free at the airport, and take them onto the plane?
Don t take the risk by putting wine boxes in the luggage - luggage handlers around the world can do amazing things with one's luggage !

I once bought a nice and strong metal letter box in France which I put in my luggage flying from Geneva to Cairo through Zurich.

I have never been able to use the box as it arrived buckled and the lock no longer worked.
Carrot, Swiss

I think I will just wait until I get to the Duty Free as suggested, much better than worrying the whole time during the flight about my clothes being ruined!

Thanks
Jilly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.