Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
if you can get a doctors letter and your insurance are ok with it,then you should be able to go i think,if not can the holiday be postponed for a few weeks.hope you get sorted. mo.
Thanks, we need to see the dr again tomorrow and I will contact the insurance.

Really i think we should leave it and re book. I feel so sorry for him, he is so much pain.

We are meant to be meeting friends out there that are flying from a different airport to us and its the feeling that we are letting every body down. But of course his health comes first.
Unfortunately the airline are under no obligation to give him a extra leg room seat. So will he be able to get up the stairs and into a normal seat? .The first thing you should do is contact the airline to find out if they will help before contacting your insurance company.
If you need to cancel the holiday then if you have booked through a tour operator you will need to contact them, then contact your insurance company who will send you a form to fill out with instructions for what they want from you and your doctor (letters and receipts etc).
I hope you are able to go on your holiday and that your husband will soon feel better.
cannot see why you cannot go.even with a broken leg..you would be classed as a wheelchair passenger.try to pay extra for a extra leg room.just for him.which leg is it by the way.

how do they go on when people break aleg when coming back from ski hols?? you would lose to much money if you cancel your hols...make the best of it..look on net in ibiza about hireing a wheel chair .to help him out..like this one.i don;t rate them.they never brought my toaster once.untill i was coming home.that was 5 years ago.

http://www.digitalibiza.com/ibizhire/ 50 euros a week.
In theory you could still go, the problem is that the doctor might not want your husband to fly with a plaster cast on, the reason being that his leg will swell up while flying, obvoiusly being in a cast this could cause problems they might be able to put him in a different cast but im not sure
the airline will want to see a doctors note saying its ok for him to fly and also so he can prove its a real break (not smuggling etc :lol: )
Good luck but can you not rebook in a few weeks time?
The brake is worse than first thought and he has to have an op today. He has begged the Dr to let him fly for our second week but they wont do it.

As we are meant to be meeting friend out there he has told me to go and take the kids. I feel terrible leaving him behind and this has been a very hard decision.

I feel so sorry for him, we have been looking forward to 14 days AI too.

We are gutted.
flippy could you not move it as someone has suggested or is that not possible at such short notice. maybe not :( Under these circumstances your holiday insurance should also cover you all in the event that you need to cancel . then you could book again :? I feel so sorry for you all and you most probably wont enjoy yourself worrying and missing him :(

lyn
Yes your travel insurance should cover you and you should get a full refund less any excess.

An alternative would be to call the tour operator and postpone it for a few weeks. However they may class this as a cancellation rather than just charge an admin fee for the change.

Let us know what you decide and also how you get on with the insurance company as this information is useful to other members.

luci :wave
Hi all, The insurance will give us a refund minus £40 per passenger but my husband don't want the kids to miss out. They wont reschdule as its too short notice.

My husband has told me and the kids to go and he will try and have another week at the end of the year. He feels guilty but i keep telling him accidents happen. I am not sure I am doing the right thing but its such a hard decision.

He had 2 pins and a plate put in his ankle today and they havent had to put a cast on, its just a bandage. This means he can in thoery fly but needs a dr letter. We are hoping that if he rests for a few days he can get a flight out on wednesday or even the following saturday so he can still have a bit of his hol. The travel agent has been fantasic and has everything in place, we just have to see what the Dr says.

I am off at 8.30am tomorrow with the kids, very sad but I will have to make it fun for them. Wish us luck :?
I wish you you best of luck flippy and hope that you can manage to salvage some part of hubbys holiday :D :D sounds like your Travel agents will try their upmost to do so which is good news.

please let us all know how it goes.

:gluck
lyn
having suffered with a broken ankle before I can tell you that the first fortnight or so I really felt it. He will have to spend a lot of time with his foot raised above his heart as it will swell. I have a feeling the flight would be an absolute nightmare. Its just too soon I'm afraid.
You have made the best decision in the circumstances.
All the very best of luck with your holiday. I hope that you do manage to enjoy it as much as you can in the circumstances.

Hi all, We arrived home this morning and we had a great time.

The first week was just me and the kids but my husband did make it out for the second week. We all waited on him so he never really moved from the sun bed. He kept his leg raised too because he was in some pain. He had to have the staples take out on wednesday so we went off to a local clinic where we was charged 20 euros. So much nicer and faster than in the UK.

Next year I will not let him do anything at least a month before we go away. :)
he did well to come out. I'll bet you all fussed over him :D
Glad it worked out ok in the end.
Glad to hear you all had a great time.

Thanks for coming back to update us.

Pleased it all worked out in the end.

May I thank you for posting how you went on. So nice when someone does that it helps other when they have a similar problem.

You are however in a minority. So many people ask for advice and help yet we never hear from them again.

Personally I think we should have an honours board showing those who have taken the trouble.

fwh
i agree, thanks for letting us know how it went, it makes it all worth while when people do :lol:
Pleased to hear he could make it out for a week!
Glad to hear that your hubby managed to join you for the second week.

The idea of an honours board is good in theory however, an easier option might be to have a symbol beside the names of people who have either given updates on situations such as this or anyone who has given good advice about something specific.

Mods. One thing which I think would be useful would be a list of the lugagge allowances for individual airlines especially weight of hold luggage and dimensions of hand luggage.
Mods. One thing which I think would be useful would be a list of the lugagge allowances for individual airlines especially weight of hold luggage and dimensions of hand luggage.

Hi cate ... because of the frequent changes to baggage allowances or charges by some airlines, and also bearing in mind that not all passengers on a flight may have the same allowance, it is best that passengers check their individual allowances and any applicable charges on their booking confirmation, or on the website of the airline or tour operator involved. Permitted baggage dimensions change less frequently, but they do vary not just by airline, but by airport. As you know, we already show the maximum dimensions permitted for hand luggage, but we always recommend that passengers verify the precise dimensions permitted by the airlines or airports involved.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.