General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
YUK....HELP!
12 Posts
My wife had the same problem in Zante with the vicious little sods.
I also had a mouth and lips problem as if everything was on fire. The local chemist was the man who sorted us out.
Local knowledge counts for a lot.
HI. My son had a bad reaction to a bite (presumably from a mozzie)whilst in Corfu last year. Luckily he was only there for a week because by the time he got home his wholie leg from the knee down had swollen into an unrecognisable shape and was in some pain. It didn't clear up until he completed a course of antibiotics which his G.P prescribed.
As a result he went to his G.P again before his holiday this year, to see if he could take antibiotics with him as a precaution (refused!). He was quite worried as this holiday was for 2 weeks. However, although he did have a few bad bites, nothing developed into an infection this time.
I think certain people are susceptible- the luck of the draw!
It sounds like it could be a Horse Fly. They have nasty bites. My Dad got bitten by one on the hand, and it swelled up like a balloon and was quite bad.
Just come back from Menorca were I got bit on the ear lobe it came up like a cauliflower ear on the back like a volcano and just under my which thank god did'nt come up.I use anthisan and it seems to make the puss come out,but they are still painful and very very itchy.Don't know why they always make a meal out of me.I also use repelant.
if you walked through rough grassland/ fields it may also be a Tic
i agree with tishtosh , same thing happened to my mother in law in turkey 2 years ago, she had huge blisters on her legs and badly swollen and sadly they have left scars, hers were caused by horse flies
I have the same problems in the UK,Portugal etc ended up at the hospital for anti-histamine injections. In Portugal years ago i was taken by ambulance to hospital at 05.30 with a red line up my arm throbbing and so painfull, I think its just something in your body make-up that causes the reaction. I now run like a headless chicken if i see a wasp, bee, fly or what have you whether it be in the UK OR ABROAD.Tried all the remedies to disract them but they still dont work and zoom in on me like bees round a honey pot. Cheers Jayjan
we went to turkey a few years ago and there was a family with 3 young children in our hotel..
it was there first ever holiday abroad and the chap got bit in the night by mossis and when he got up in the morning it looked like a severe case of measels.
they all got infected within houres and he ended up in hospital with blood poisoning..
felt realy sorry for them as the wife had to try and cope with 3 young babes and vistiting him in hospital,bet he wont go abroad again....
its just mossies bite nearly everyone some people just dont react well other people dont hardley notice..
its just the luck of the draw i'm afraid.. 8)
this happened to hy husband 2 years ago in cuba never seen blisters like that, poor thing had to walk around with bandages on his ankles because they were so sore, next time he is going to try anti- histamines and garlic capsules before we go.
Hia Becki, the same thing happened to me, whilst walking our dog in the "UK", it was so painful and I could not walk, ended up in minor injuries, got put on antibiotics, and anti histamines for a week, once I finsished them, ended up back on anti biotics 2days later, after I finished the 1st course as I got bit again :shock: I was dreading our forth coming holiday in Tunisia, but yet I never got bit once whilst we were away, very strange. Still don't know what it was that had a munch on me, but whatever it was Dr said I was allergic to :?
Can't offer no advice, only when I walked the dog, I used to spray myself with the insect repellant, and touch wood, the little buggers left me alone :)
hy malcomhelen start to take them at least 5 days befor you go so they are in your sytem we have to do that for our little boy bless him
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.