98 independent reviews of the Planamar Hotel
Planamar Hotel Location
Ranked #8 of 13 hotels in Malgrat de Mar

Planamar Hotel Planamar Hotel is rated 3.26 out of 5 from 98 Reviews

Planamar Hotel Reviews

"Great value friendly hotel"
Malcolm Wright visited the Planamar Hotel in April 2014
The hotel was small compared to most on the Costa Brava and this contributed to the warm, family-run feel of the hotel even though it is part of a large group.
The staff, from the management to the restaurant staff to the cleaners were all extremely friendly and helpful - they could not do enough for us.
Being quite small, there was only limited entertainment and a relatively limited selection at meal times but the food was excellent and I really could not fault it, nor the overall experience.
A great value holiday.

Tour Operator: Sunsave.com

"Yet another visit"
jimd-f visited the Planamar Hotel in May 2013

I am just back from another visit to this hotel. It is not everyoneís cup of tea, but this hotel feels like a small family hotel. It is only 3 stories high. It is a cheap and cheerful 3* hotel.

This hotel is situated on the main street, opposite the beach, with the railway line running between the road and the beach. It is in one of the best locations in Malgrat.
On arrival, at around 9.30am the check-in was very quick, but we were told our rooms were not ready (as expected) but to put our cases in the baggage room, they have separate rooms for arrivals and departures- and return to get our A/I cards and room keys at 12.00.
A quick trip to the Crown and Anchor for breakfast, where you get a decent meal at a realistic price ...
was worthwhile.
Our rooms were very clean but at the back of the hotel. The TV (with ITV and BBC4), toilet and a/c all worked fine. There was a fridge in the room but I forgot to ask how much they charged for it. No hairdryer in the rooms. You no longer need to leave a deposit on the remote for the TV, just ask for one at reception if they do not give you one on check-in.
They now offer Wi-Fi at ‚ā¨5 per day with discount for the week as well as the 2 (although 1 always seemed to break down) computers in reception.
The rooms and hotel in general were all kept very clean, with maids working all hours.

One of the best features of this hotel is the very green outdoor area at the front of the hotel. There are various plants and trees on the patio which provide very welcome shade. The pool is not huge, but was adequate for the hotel.
The food was well cooked and there was the usual variety. You did get different types of potato not just chips. Most of the meat and fish dishes were cooked with veg and used very cheap cuts of meat. You could not fault the actual cooking the standard was very good, but the very bony/fatty meat was not really very good. However, the fresh fish was excellent every day.

The coffee from the machines is still lousy, but if you choose cortado that probably is the least offensive. It is also worth paying for a coffee at the bar as that is much better quality than the free stuff.

The bar was fine with the usual daily cocktail and the staff were friendly, as usual.
HTOP have introduced a silly system where you get a separate card from the normal AI card which you are supposed to hand over when you get a drink, and you get this card back when you return your glass!!!!! If you lose this I was told you donít get any more drinks without paying. I can understand them trying to cut out the amount of waste and the stock piling of drinks, but this system is just stupid and time consuming.

Note; the AI card no longer shows your photo on the card but when they scan it at the till they can see your photo. This may give you problems if you are part of a group/family when visiting other hotels if you inadvertently try to use the wrong card.

The only problem with this hotel is that the size of the bar where they have the entertainment is very small, although you can see and hear from the patio. The entertainment itself was nothing special with the usual mix of karaoke, quiz, bingo and live music.
I thought this was an excellent break in a clean hotel, and for the money paid it was great value.

Tour Operator: Ferris

"Deserves 1*"
jayne visited the Planamar Hotel in August 2012
AVOID!!!! I do not expect 5* for 3* money but was hoping for something better than barely 1*. Itís difficult to know where to start? I booked and paid for a four bedded family room, arrived late at night to find they only had a 3 bedded room available. The Receptionist was rude, uninterested and couldnít care less! I had booked through Hotels4u, part of the Thomas Cook so expected that they would sort it out. Wrong!! They were appalling, they advertise 24 hour support, this is a lie, we arrived on a Saturday night and there was nothing other than duty cover who cannot take any action so no one was available until Monday morning.

The first night I had no bed, the second night when Hotels4u still did nothing I insisted the hotel squeeze an extra bed ...
into a room designed for 2 beds. Only one person could stand up at a time! The hotel is tired, scruffy and dated, the rooms are extremely small. The beds and bed linen were damp, the shower is a joke, and the only mirror had no plug socket anywhere near it so good luck if you are hoping to dry your hair! The balcony doesnít really deserve that title; only one person could stand out there at a time!

Throughout my stay I requested many times to speak to the Manager, who didnít put in an appearance throughout my stay. Hotels4u would not move us to a different hotel so we were stuck there. If I had not been travelling with my children I would have come home after the first night, I endured this hotel solely for my childrenís sake!

This hotel functions around numerous pointless rules, designed to undermine any enjoyment you may be hoping for as you are supposed to be on holiday!

The Pool is barely any bigger than a paddling pool, the hotel caters for several hundred guests yet there are 30 sunbeds around the pool. The pool area is not unlocked until 9am so if you want to sit out early, forget it. If you like to sit outside with a cup of coffee before 10am forget it as you cannot take any drinks outside before 10am.

The food was appalling, I have never been to a 3* hotel where I wonít eat the food. It was bland, repetitive and tasteless. You are not allowed to take any food, snacks or drinks outside of the restaurant. I am not fussy, I am happy to eat just a salad, or whatever but this food was awful. Barely any salad, rice and vegetables were hardly cooked, the meat was vile. The dining room was nowhere near big enough for the number of people staying at the hotel.

The All Inclusive system for getting drinks is a joke. On arrival you are given an ID card and a green plastic card which you hand in every time you want a drink. You then take the plastic beaker back to get the green card returned. You can only get one drink at a time, in a plastic cup!!! If you are a man who drinks pints, forget it! The entertainment was so bad; there isnít much to say about it. Most evenings there was a mini disco for the kids, held in a room not much bigger than a cupboard! If you buy a can of drink out of the vending machines in reception you can only drink them in your room? Why??

Yes the hotel is 50 yards from the beach, what the brochure forgets to mention is between the hotel and the beach is the mainline railway.
Overall, I do not understand how this hotel obtained its 3 star status, it is nowhere near.

This hotel is small and shabby run by small minded people. The most entertaining part was hearing new arrivals moan and shout about how bad it was!! There are many three star hotels out there in the same price bracket where you would have an enjoyable break, avoid the Planamar at all costs. You have been warned!!

"Great value"
jimd-f had a holiday at Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar, Spain in October 2011

I am just back from another visit to this hotel.
It is not everyoneís cup of tea, but this hotel feels like a small family hotel. It is only 3 stories high. I think that that you end up with as fellow guests has more to do with how your holiday is perceived than anything this hotel does. Yes it is a cheap and cheerful 3* hotel but if you have a few families rather than 100 European school kids, your holiday experience will certainly be better.

On arrival, at around 10am the check-in was very quick, but we were told our rooms were not ready (as expected) but to ...
put our cases in the baggage room they have separate rooms for arrivals and departures- and return to get our A/I cards and room keys at 11.30.

Our rooms were very clean with a sea view. The rooms at the back of the hotel do seem larger than most of those at the front.

The TV (with BBC1), toilet and a/c all worked fine. There was a fridge in the room but I forgot to ask how much they charged for it. No hairdryer in the rooms. You no longer need to leave a deposit on the remote for the TV, just ask for one at reception if they do not give you one on check-in.

The food was well cooked and there was the usual variety. The one thing I did notice was that there were more vegetables available than Iíve seen in other hotels and that you did get different types of potato not just chips. Most of the meat and fish dishes were cooked with veg and used very cheap cuts of meat. You could not fault the actual cooking the standard was very good, but the very bony/fatty meat was not really very good. However, the fresh fish was excellent every day. The AI snacks were the same all the time ham and cheese sandwiches, crisps and cake; although I do believe that more is provided in peak season.

The bar was fine with the usual daily cocktail and the staff were friendly enough and treated us very well; so well in fact that we got proper glasses to drink from at night instead of the plastic ones.

The hotel have introduced a silly system where you get a separate card from the normal AI photocard which you are supposed to hand over when you get a drink, and you get this card back when you return your glass. If you lose this I was told you donít get any more drinks without paying. I can understand them trying to cut out the amount of waste and the stock piling of drinks, but this system is just stupid, time consuming for all and unworkable. Thankfully we are well known to all the staff so never saw this card after getting our first drink.

With regard to the noise nuisance etc that keeps being reported, beyond the normal night noise after the bar shut I heard nothing at all on any night and saw nothing to cause me any anxiety throughout my stay.

"Not s great start, but got better"
marj stayed at Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar, Spain in September 2011
We arrived after 11 at night to a sombre man on the desk, he was ok just not the happiest person. We had our keys in 3 mins but hated the room, hidden behind trees so went down to complain he said they were full.

In the morning I saw a lovely lady who spoke good English and she moved us as soon as the room we asked for was emptied at 10 am. It was a large room on top floor perfect view of sea and front of hotel.

The hotel had a good pool, a garden area, the rooms are spotless and as long as you allow them to enter its cleaned every day. The staff are great very friendly and canít do enough to help.

The animation team are good and full of fun. There are things ...
to do most days and entertainers every night.

The food a little bland but you wonít starve.(its Spain remember ) We had a lovely time in the hotel. We will defiantly be going back next year. A little hint if you leave the air conditioning on low at night it drowns the sounds from other people out and aids sleep.

"A holiday in hell"
Eic Griffiths had a holiday at Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar, Spain in September 2011
This hotel is one of the worst of its kind attracting cheap holiday makers, mainly yobbos who get drunk from the minute they arrive until they leave. It is not suitable for kids, mature families or couples.

The food is basic. repetitive and of low quality. We had one of the best rooms in the hotel overlooking the swimming pool, but the rest of the rooms faced inland and onto other hotels, buildings.

They accommodated all the parties were numerous fights took place over noise and disturbances. To get to the beach, you have to cross the main road and a railway line. Be advised & give it a miss.

"Good location"
paget had a holiday at Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar in August 2011
Good location right in the heart of the town, near beach. Food not great but you will survive. Entertainment is very poor, but they try. All inclusive drinks are weak to say the least go down the road to royal sun for full strength drinks (free with you all inclusive card)

Rooms at back of hotel are larger than the ones at the front. Pool not big but ok for size of hotel. Market at back of hotel on a Thursday.

Babs Finnie had a holiday at Planamar Hotel in June 2010
Just returned back from the Planamar yesterday. We went as a family last minute with my husband 16 year old son and 12 year old daughter. On arrival we had to wait around as they did not have any record of us being there. Once that was all sorted out we were quickly allocated our room. Our room was fine apart from the fact it was really small for 4 people we were practically tripping over each other, so be warned I would say 3 is enough in these rooms. Personally having gone all inclusive before I prefer the wrist bands as you dont have to go hunting for your card everytime you want a drink. The room we had was relatively clean, certainly nothing I would moan about. Location of this hotel was excellent as you basically walked out ...
the hotel onto shops, bars and restaurants. The pool was a decent enough size although possibly really busy July and August we never had a problem getting loungers. They have a no towel policy which was great as every morning after breakfast there were always free loungers. The staff could possibly have been a tad more welcoming but they were helpful enough. We spent one of our days at Htop Royal Star in Lloret de mar difference was night and day regards the food. Food at the Planamar is not great at all, I did not think there was any value in booking the AI. Unless you want to eat chips n gravy all week then pay a bit more for the 4* Royal Star. The food was the most cheapest meats available with more bone than meat it was also really cold all the time. There were snacks which were packets of sandwiches with ham and cheese but they were left sitting all afternoon at the side of the bar so were warm and very tasteless. I have been AI a few times and always had my free Sangria but the Planamar could not make up their minds whether you paid for is or it was within your AI (In the hotel description it read free locally produced drink) Eh how locally produced can you get for goodness sake Sangria is the drink of Spain!!!! Entertainment was absolute rubbish. 2 nights they had singers on the rest of the time it was just a disco. There was a Scottish bar down at the actual train station and the atmosphere in there was fabby. Would I recommend the Planamar? No, not for food and entertainment the hotel needs to up the anti there. Best thing this hotel has going for it is the fact it has a fantastic location.

Tour Operator: Sun4u

Patricia Brown visited the Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar in June 2010
This hotel was rated 3* but it was more like 2* the breakfast was good but lunch and dinner left a lot to desire, pork and chicken and when I say chicken I mean wings, and if they did not make enough it was tough luck, and the salad bar consisted of lettuce and tomato very poor, and worsed of all was the time your card ran out was 12.00 and we did not leave hotel until 6:60 we have never experienced this before, every other all inclusive was exactly that until you left, would not recommend to anyone and we are experienced all inclusive 5 years and this is the worse one yet.

Tour Operator: Barrhead

jimd-f stayed at Planamar Hotel in May 2010
Iím just back from a 6 day break at this hotel. This is my fourth visit.

Tour Operator: jimd-f tours

Tracy D visited the Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar in September 2009
Just returned from a week in the camp. I wouldnt go here again if it was a free holiday.
Staff have no time for you, the bar staff barring one girl are all moody, ignorant people.

Food is the same all week cold boring, unless you like chips chips chips.

Pool area very small and not enough sun loungers.

No entertainment whatsoever, apart from the cow hide outfit people which were CRAP!!

Ended up going out but couldnt afford to every night as the prices in the bars were more than over here!!!!

NEVER GO TO THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT A GOOD TIME!!!!!!!

Tour Operator: Ola Holidays

george graham had a holiday at Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar, Spain in August 2009
Just got back from Planamar, as soon as me and my girlfriend turned up at \'the fritsl dungeon\' she started crying because of the sheer state of the hotel and location.

Don't even get me started on the food, if watered down water soup is your favorite meal, then you may enjoy the soup, also having anus sausages in the morning is a great way to start of your day at the concentration camp. We paid for all inclusive and eaten out for every meal of the week, ending up spending a fortune

the room :

The view - construction site and back of the kitchens, constant noise coming from the huge boilers, good for a night in on the balcony!

The bath/shower - awful.

BAR STAFF - HORRIBLE SLEASY MEN no matter how much alcohol we drank at the bar, there ...
was no way we could get pissed. Aparantly all inclusive means you can get all of your drinks free? In other words one kind of cocktail (which you had to pay for the rest) along with the average barly alcoholic drinks.

The pool was far too small which got far too packed, not enough sun loungers which came to idiots getting up really early to go and put their towels out before disapearing all day.

overall holiday - shite.

Tour Operator: sun4u

lynnette visited the Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar in July 2009
Hi just arrived back from planamar, after reading some reviews we were dreading it..i have to say we were pleasantly surprised. food wasnt as bad as we expected, it was much the same as the royal sun, but missing the little extras ie grated cheese crutonds. etc. rooms small but big enough for two people..the staff were great, always smiling. the one thing we didnt enjoy so much were the rolla cola they used to mix drinks,. would use this hotel again.preferred to the royal sun.which we have also stayed and htop santa sussanna.

Tour Operator: ferriss

Joanne visited the Planamar Hotel in May 2009
Have just returned from a week\'s break at this hotel and will definitely not be returning. The hotel itself is extremely dated, especially the rooms, although it was clean and the maids cleaned our room every day. The food was ok but not a huge choice, nothing much at all for the kids so they ended up living on chips and plain pasta for the whole week. We never bothered with the snacks on the all inclusive as every day it was either burgers, salad or dried up cold chips. I found all the staff, especially the bar and restaurant staff, to be extremely rude and arrogant. Malgrat itself is very scruffy with most places either closed down or covered in graffiti. All in all I would say this hotel is more a 2 star than a 3 star.

Tour Operator: sunsavers

Eileen Calder had a holiday at Planamar Hotel in March 2009
We were booked in to this hotel but changed by the company to the Royal Sun a week before we flew out. A lot of people who booked for the Planamar were changed at the last minute. We can\'t comment on the rooms, although the balconies with the lovely blue shutters looked great. We spent several afternoons at the Planamar and had lunch there one day. The food was just as good as the Royal Sun which is supposed to be 4 Star, I personally think the Planamar has a much nicer atmosphere and loved sitting outside during the day, I never really felt that at the Royal Sun. The free bus just started the day we left, but the good thing about HTop hotels is that you can comfortably walk between the Royal Sun, Planamar and the ...
Santa Susanna when you get bored. The Planamar in particular is ideally situated near the train station and the trip to Barcelona is only around six euro return. The beach is just across the street. Be aware if you are going before the begining of April that the free bus advertised is not on and many shops and cafes are closed. You can get two drinks per card all-inclusive at the 3* Planamar and only one at the 4* Royal Sun. The bar staff at the Planamar were pleasant and smiled if you were polite to them, the restaurant staff were not as pleasant and refused us snacks as we had not known we had to book them in advance. (Don\'t depend on a USB memory stick if you have work to do on any of the HTop Hotel internet points - for some reason they will not work - use a CD or even a floppy.)
For the money you can book this hotel all-inclusive I think it is a very good deal. I would certainly return to Santa Susana/Malgrat De Mar and would definitely stay at the Planamar.

Tour Operator: 2CanTravel

Ash Talbot had a holiday at Planamar Hotel in March 2009
We stayed in Planamar hotel for a week and was glad to get away, we went expecting nightly entertainment and there was none, the staff were moody and the only good thing is the free booze, on the web site, it stated nightly entertainment, there was also no holiday rep and was dissapointed as we still went on holiday looking for things to do and there was no one to help unless we asked the hotel staff which shouldnt happen on a holiday, there should be a rep no matter what time of the year it is, my partner is a vegetarian and was digusted at the food as all she eat for the whole week was bread rolls and past with sauce and maybe some salad which isnt fair and all i was eating was coldish chips bred rolls ...
and pasta really, the aggs were not cooked properly and looked like see through snot, to be honest it was a nice break but it didnt feel like a holiday much which was a shame. You will like this hotel if you like sitting down staring at everything with a drink all the time, but if you like to do things then there is not much to choose from.

Tour Operator: Ryan Air

Krystal stayed at Planamar Hotel in October 2008
Hotel was right opposite the beach, so th location was good, but the hotel was not! the room was so small that th bed prevented us from opening th door properly. there was alot of elderly people and children, possibly the time we went. The food was pretty average, nothing special and the local drinks were far too sweet so we had to water it down so there wasnt much point drinking alcohol or just dont go all inclusive and buy food and drinks when you get there cos there were so many nice restaurants and bars.
th balcony\'s were so small you\'d bump into eachother if there was anymore than one person out there, they say rooms are big enough for three ... that is a lie
some of the staff were friendly and others were not

overall i didnt like the ...
hotel, ive only ever stayed in one other 3* hotel and the standard of the other 3* wasnt as poor as Planamar so i dont think that its rated correctly, there were many hotels in the area, most were 3* and they looked so much better! although i dont think il b staying anywhere less than 4* again!i do NOT recommend planamar hotel at all!

Tour Operator: Travel Republic

mike stayed at Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar, Spain in October 2008
hotel was old ,but its getting renovated shortly,food was ok,staff very helpful and polite,orkara,alex,franco,the hotel location was 5out of five,entertainment,xcellentthanks to criss,&family,would recomend to anyone

Tour Operator: on the beach

brian had a holiday at Planamar Hotel, Malgrat de Mar in October 2008
typical spanish all inclusive with some choice but never really nice food .Unusually for Spain very little fresh fruit ,coffee was foul unless you paid for it at the bar we never had that before .Staff ok but sometimes very pushy and impatient.What for me spoilt this hotel was the very noisy and unruly british families ,I am trying to be objective here but ive never stayed at such a noisy hotel ,though it is the first time ive stayed in a hotel that was almost 100 percent british .To be fair there was very little for the children to do and once the weather changed for the worst everybody seemed to stay in the hotel with the inevitable noisy cosequences We did travel around but when we came back into the hotel the noise was awful

Tour Operator: independant

mr gardner visited the Planamar Hotel in October 2008
the three of us went all inclusive when we got to the hotel planamar there was no room for us until the manager rang somebody up and then told us we have a room for tonight and then in the morning he said he would change rooms they put a camp bed in the room so we had three beds in one small room the maids where nice the location was not bad the hotel food was not fit to give a dog it was cold and we did not know what the food actualy wasthe same food all the time we had to eat out and spend money we should not of had to the hotel staff was very ignorant and the pool was extremily cold there was no kids club the snooker tables was broken and mainly ...
out of order that includes the ice hockey game the enterainment was a disco every night from 9 oclock one night they had dancers on we are very not happy i we save up to go away for our holidays i would not stay at this hotel again and it is not worth a three star this hotel is not to the standard of a h top hotel as we have stayed at an h top hotel befor. thank you

Tour Operator: sunseekers