Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Hi

has anybody been to Cuba around February. Looking to book for 2011 and hoping the weather is ok that time of year. I know hurricane season will be welll and truely over but should we get decent temperatures??

Thanks

Jan
Hi Stanjan, you might get more responses if you post your question on the new Cuba only forum (just below this one) but I think that February would be a great time to go depending on what you mean by 'decent temperatures'. It will be a lot less humid at that time of year compared to our summer months, so there will be less rain too and overall it will be a dry heat. Expect the temperature to be consistently in the upper 20s/low 30s but this will depend on whereabout you are staying. As my Spansih teacher in Santiago de Cuba once memorably told me, 'Sometimes in Havana in the winter it gets really cold, as low as 23C and people have to wear their woolly jumpers'. Never had to do that myself in Havana in early March. And the pals who regularly go in December January have never experienced that either. Generally temperatires will be lowest in the northwest and highest in the southeast at anytime of year.

SM

PS You'll find weather history info for the southeast here:

http://uk.weather.yahoo.com/climo/CUXX0010_c.html;_ylt=AgC9uJwQV4TJU8d61_V6pIoqZOsA?woeid=68043

And the northeast here:

http://uk.weather.yahoo.com/climo/CUXX0003_c.html;_ylt=AgC9uJwQV4TJU8d61_V6pIoqZOsA?woeid=63817

Bear in mind that those 'lows' are night time temperatures - not what you can expect in the daytime.
Hi Stanjan

I can't add much to SM's post other to say my only visit to Cuba was in February 2007. I toured the island from the southeast to the northwest and the weather was pretty similar most areas(around 27°-28°), apart from the southeast where it was hotter.
The only rain we had was in Havana when there was light rainfall for about half an hour one afternoon, it did feel a bit more humid after the shower but not unbearably so.

Judith
been here in may and the weather was great. have found a good deal for end of november - is this the hurricane season?
thanks
Hi, there's a chance that you'll catch the tail end of the summer storms in November - the hurricane season does seem to be getting that bit longer year by year. However, personally I thnk that the risks are low - because of work commitments, most of my trips to Cuba have been in July/August time which is the height of the hurricane season and I've had few problems. The weather can be very humid with cloudbursts in the late afternoon but they rarely last for very long and the sun soon dries everything out.

I would think twice about travelling in the hurricane season to elsewhere in the Caribbean or to Mexico or Florida because, frankly, I don't think that the authorities there have a good track record with regards to evacuation plans etc but the Cubans are well organised and they have a good track record of organising safe evacuations etc and it's the safest place to be in the region in the vent of a hurricane making landfall. TOs are required to have contingency plans in place and one year we had to cut out a planned visit to an 'eco village' because of hurricane damage but that was all.

SM
any idea of the weather in november? my husband is convinced its the hurricane season.
thanks
I thought that I had answered your question the first time that you asked it just above :) But the short answer is that, yes, he is right - the hurricane season can last until November with the associated risk of tropical storms - but the chances of one are relatively low and the Cubans are on top of the game compared to other Caribbean destinations. The weather is likely to be hot but humid with the ocassional short sharp cloudburst in late afternoon.

SM
sorry - you had answered my question, but i didn't see your reply! i think i posted this on the main page and it has been moved to the weather topic. i had actually forgotten that i had already asked this question!! think i had a "senior moment"
thanks again.
We've been to the caribbean late Nov/early Dec for the last seven years, including 2 visits to Cuba...

we haven't had any probs with weather, Antigua was a bit rainy for 2 or 3 days out of 14, otherwise you can only expect showers (sometimes heavy, agreed), but the sun comes out soon after and dries it off quickly!!

ATB,J.
I was just wondering about the weather then i found this thread. Useful Info - thanks guys.

We're off to Cuba on November 29th, by the looks of it hurricane season will be over by then. You have put my mind at rest. Time to start buying bikini's and dresses!! :tup
I am looking at travelling next February and wonder if anyone has any advice on weather. I have looked historic reports on Wunderground but there are a lot of days where it shows thunder and rain, can you let me know whether this is at night, or are they quick storms which clear quickly. Does anyone have any advice on what time to go? We wanted February as it's my 40th and this was my birthday present but if the weather isn't going to be great don't mind going another time.

Also any other advice greatly appreciated. Looking at either Sol Palmeros or Blue Veradero.

Many thanks
Hi

has anybody been to Cuba around February. Looking to book for 2011 and hoping the weather is ok that time of year. I know hurricane season will be welll and truely over but should we get decent temperatures??

Thanks

Jan

Hi Stanjan, you might get more responses if you post your question on the new Cuba only forum (just below this one) but I think that February would be a great time to go depending on what you mean by 'decent temperatures'. It will be a lot less humid at that time of year compared to our summer months, so there will be less rain too and overall it will be a dry heat. Expect the temperature to be consistently in the upper 20s/low 30s but this will depend on whereabout you are staying. As my Spansih teacher in Santiago de Cuba once memorably told me, 'Sometimes in Havana in the winter it gets really cold, as low as 23C and people have to wear their woolly jumpers'. Never had to do that myself in Havana in early March. And the pals who regularly go in December January have never experienced that either. Generally temperatures will be lowest in the northwest and highest in the southeast at anytime of year.

SM

PS You'll find weather history info for the southeast here:

http://uk.weather.yahoo.com/climo/CUXX0 ... oeid=68043

And the northeast here:

http://uk.weather.yahoo.com/climo/CUXX0 ... oeid=63817

Bear in mind that those 'lows' are night time temperatures - not what you can expect in the daytime.

Hi Stanjan

I can't add much to SM's post other to say my only visit to Cuba was in February 2007. I toured the island from the southeast to the northwest and the weather was pretty similar most areas(around 27°-28°), apart from the southeast where it was hotter.
The only rain we had was in Havana when there was light rainfall for about half an hour one afternoon, it did feel a bit more humid after the shower but not unbearably so.

Judith

SM
i am just about to book a 2 week holiday at the riu varadero 18th may - 1st june.we have not been to cuba before and would like to know what the weather is like at this time of the year there.it is a surprise trip for our 15th wedding anniversary
Having had Cuba cancelled for February next year (Varadero) as Thomas Cook are pulling out, first flight is 29 March but we can't afford it, then there is 10 May or 7 June. Can any comment on whether these are good times to go weatherwise. Can't really find much information about when their season is, or whether there is one. Travel agent said June very good, but would prefer to hear it from people who have been?

Many thanks
Hottest months are July/August...but Cuba enjoys all year round sunshine...

ATB,J.
I went to Cuba a few years ago. We found it was quite common for a short sharp shower around 4pm, but this clears as soon as it starts! But even that didn't happen everyday. The Cayos are beautiful.
Hi everyone,

We are just about to book a trip to Cuba on a 2 centre holiday taking in Havana and Varedero. We would be departing Manchester on 21 May ( next year this is..don't normally book this early but...things have changed...)

and I am wondering what the weather is actually like at the end of May, is it the start of the rainy season?
I expect it to be hot and humid of course....

Is May a good time to go or would we need to go a little earlier or later in the year?

I know this seems a daft question..so sorry..but I want this holiday to be really special as it takes in a birthday too and would not want to be sat in a bar watching it Monsooning when we could be out exploring Havana....

Thank you in advance for any answers.
I could be wrong but From what I remember End of may is officially the start of hurricane season Val but very unlikely I would of thought . A little guesswork here but Im thinking steady build up humidity wise from then with sweaty and humid being at it's worst July/aug heading into more downpours end Aug /sept . We went middle/end july and were home by early August . very humid but hardly a drop of rain still.
We have travelled to Cuba in March,April & May.March, in our experience, is the best balanced weather from a British perspective - hot and sunny most of the time with cooling offshore breezes.
In general, humidity was much higher in Mid May than we experienced in March BUT we have had a few torrential downpours whenever we have been - but it never spoilt our enjoyment!! (even when we were stuck on a catamaran trip in a storm :yikes )
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.