Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi
Don't know the specifics of this hotel but those i worked with in Cyprus would get the maids to confiscate kettles found in rooms and they would be returned on your departure.
If you keep your kettle in a bag and only take it out as and when you need it there's no need for the hotel to know anything about it :wink:
Serena

I stayed at the Alex on Honeymoon last June and I am sure there were kettles in the room. If not ( memory not what it used to be!!) then there are two really excellent sandwich shops/take aways right across the road (one is called Poseidonos but cant remember the other) that will sort you out!!!

Jamie
Hi Serena,

My wife & I were regular visitors to the island for almost 20 years before moving here permanently.

We always brought a small travel kettle with us to make coffee and never had a problem. Suggest you do the same and keep it in your suitcase.

Regards,

Nigel
Thanks everyone, I emailed the hotel and they want 3 cy pounds per day for the hire of the kettle, so we will be doing as you suggest, take our own and hide it in a bag when not in use.
Alexander the Great is probably one of the more expensive 4* hotels in Paphos. I really think they have a cheek to charge for the use of their kettles as you would expect complimentary tea/coffee making facilities for those prices.

Happy holidays.
Hi all
I stayed in the Pahiessa hotel in Paphos last year. I had a travel kettle. I didn't see any rules about not using your own. I left mine out with the teabags and coffee, nobody said anything at all. They did have a rule about other things like wine, beer etc probably because they wanted you use the bar. I used one of those material bags, with a small hand towel and wrapped anything like a bottle or cans in that as I walked through reception. Then get rid of the debris the next morning in a public bin so they wouldn't know.. If I had wine left I put it in a cupboard and disguised it with bits and pieces. :wink:

Dawn
We had this problem when we stayed at the Atlantica Bay in Limmasol a few years ago. We and our friends took a travel kettle - they hid theirs during the day - we did not and got a polite little notice left!!

I seem to remember that it was supposed to be something to do with the safety aspect and that it was quite common in Cyprus for hotels not to allow the use of guests own kettles.

Pippa
Hi, stayed there last October.We also read the reports before departure,but we took our travel kettle and had no problem. Have stayed at this hotel several times and generally been very impressed, although we find it better to eat out in the evening. Please bear in mind the weather can still be changable yet and go cool in the evening. :)
Thanks Johncob,
Did you hide your kettle in the daytime as was suggested in an earlier post ? Only a few hours to go now and we are so looking forward to it as this is our first time in Cyprus. Hope we aren't disappointed with the place or the weather. Did the 10day forecast and it looks pretty good ,so here's hoping !
Hi there
Have a nice time. I'm off to Magaluf next Saturday and looking forward to it. 8)

Regards
Dawn
Hi Dawn,
Thanks a lot.

I love Majorca and Magaluf , have a good time there, you wont have to try hard to do it :D
Serena
Hi Serena
I'm glad to hear that!!!!!! :D

Regards
Dawn :wave
hope you get this in time. To answer your question -- no we didnt hide the kettle and even used space in the stocked fridge for milk.Just a note , none of the electrical circuits work without your key card in operation.
Have a good holiday. Can recommend the Manhatten for an evening meal.----------
4 weeks to go to Son Matias, Palma Nova. :)
hi staying here in november for our silver wedding anniversary in a cabana,anyone stayed in one as i dont know what to expect any info would be great thanks
Hi - I'm sorry I haven't answered your message sooner, but I've only been back a week myself from The Alexander. The cabanas open out onto a grassed area which is directly facing west and the sea - ie walk out of your door, and your ready to sunbathe except its November which if I remember rightly can be a trifle cool and possibly wet. The windows are filtered so that people walking past shouldn't be able to see in unless the lights are on. One was offered to me a few years ago as a loyalty present, but after a couple of hours requested a full sea-view room due (in my view) to its lack of privacy. The room is not that much larger than a standard hotel room, and again in my opinion, a full sea-view room gives a much superior view, whereas the cabana looks out directly at the shrubbery that lines the paths. I apologise if I appear to have put the cabanas in a poor light, but that is how I view them. If you care to send me a PM with your email address, I should have some pictures I can send you of the outsides.
Got back last week from our 5th visit in 7 yrs to Ayia Napa. Now that son is older(10 next year) and finances are healthier we would like to return to the place we stayed when we got married 11 years ago - Alexander the Great in Paphos. :love

Just a couple of questions if anyone can help-

Do they let you pay to have the minibar emptied so you can use it as a fridge?

Are sunbeds allocated to everyone in your party or just the adults?

Is it an ideal hotel for a 10 year old who loves the pool :fish to stay in High season i.e are there other families?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Mandy :sun
can anyone tell me if pool towels are supplied at this hotel. and also can anyone reccomend a good jewelers in paphos as hubby is buying me a eternity ring whilst there as it is our silver wedding anniversary.thanks
Yes Beach Towels are supplied. There are lots of beautiful jewellery shops, so you can take your time to choose something special!
Just as a matter of interest if anyone is thinking of booking directly with the Alex if you register on their site as a hospitality member you will receive between 10% and 15% of the bill sometimes more. You can register and then go back and book at the same time no waiting around for registration.

Gail
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.