France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
In most places you'll find men have to wear proper swimming trunks, but bikinis are OK.

Patka
Seconded - 'proper' swimming gear is required in almost all campsite pools I have visited. Football shorts, bermuda shorts etc definitely not allowed!
Yes - we had to go and buy swimming trunks at the nearest supermarket - much to my teenage sons horror!

Gill
hello weve just got back from carnac in brittany,and they didnt have a policy on our campsite.If they did no one enforced the law.everyone was wearing shorts.that i coud see!! if you have to you can buy them over there for a couple of euros!
Hi
the sights we've been on in Normandy, Picady and Paris have all allowed shorts. This was in the height of the season too.
We did take 'proper' swimwear with us just in case though, but it didn't come out of the case!!
La Yole specifically specify NO Shorts as do several other sites.

The last site I stayed at Chateau les Eaux enforced the rule very strictly.

Patka
Thanks for the replies :o , I think I'd better invest in some trunks :shock:
wow, i didn't know they stipulated rules like this!!

I have to say i will make sure that i bypass any such campsites, in addition to the bathing cap rules that some italian sites seem to enforce!!!
The rule is actually a very simple one

shorts have pockets and some folk forget to empty their pockets (usually because they forget due to a little drink)
the debris goes into the pool and filter system
the system breaks down

then there's NO POOL

then the holiday makers blame the campsite for their poor maintenance when it's their fault not the sites

so the rule is no shorts - simple
Fair point, but i would say that any modern properly filtered system should be able to cope with a little bit of debris that can be cleaned out - it should never cause a break down

I can imagine this rule will annoy a lot of people ... not everyone is comfy in Speedos!!! Maybe they should sell pocketless shorts in their shop!
I can imagine this rule will annoy a lot of people ... not everyone is comfy in Speedos!!! Maybe they should sell pocketless shorts in their shop!

BUT
Why are people not comfy in Speedo's

the UK Press that's why

they constantly go on on how non fashionable they are and they are only not fashionable in the UK despite being a UK export too
The merits of why they are or aren't popular is fair enough, but i think people should have the choice. Personally, i wouldn't walk around the streets in a pair of y-fronts, so i feel the same way about speedos!!

Pocketless shorts should be the new big seller!! :lol:
I live in Germany and middle aged and older often overweight men wearing speedos is not something I enjoy seeing. Most younger here men wear shorts and wouldn't be seen dead in speedos. Shorts are also popular in the USA.
I don't very often see the British Press so I have no idea what is deemed non fashionable in the UK but I do know what I find attractive.
We have stayed in about 10 different campsites in France over the years and most have stipulated that shorts are not allowed, but this rule has never been enforced on the sites we have been to. The first time we went my husband bought trunks but was relieved not to have to wear them. This year he will probably pack the trunks, just in case, as it seems that most sites don't enforce the rule, but some do.
we just got back on wed from acapulco site st jean de monts and the policy according to our broucher was proper trunks . hubby nd kids bought some but this rule was not inforced;
hubby was worrying about this before we went :lol:

thankfully @ La Croix Du Vieux Pont, in Berny - Riviere swim shorts were allowed :)
Does anyone know the swimwear rule at the swimming pools in Eurodisney?
Speedo's are not a problem in our family, my son swims competively and so is used to wearing them. I also bought some for my husband when we were on holliday in the US, he used to wear them around the villa pool which meant his legs were tanned to the top!!
Why not take both then you are covered so to speak for either eventuality!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.