Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Mosquito's
60 Posts
I ALWAYS get bitten in Turkey, no matter what time of year it is. I make sure I take plenty of repellant and bite cream.

Dusk seems to be the worst time of day for mozzies.
I've been 7 times and can count the number of times I've been bitten on one hand. It's a dry country at that time of year so although they are around, they aren't in big numbers. Just take the usual precautions if you're prone to getting bit but other than that, there's nothing to worry about.

Darren
i the same as darren, have been 6 times and have been bitten probably twice in all that time!!

have never heard any of the little blighters buzzing round me ears of a night either!!
They must just love me then! Little blighters!
haymans74 wrote:
They must just love me then! Little blighters!

Same here - no matter where I go, they still manage to seek me out. However, I must admit I've not had as many problems with them in Turkey as I have elsewhere. I've tried numerous things, but what seems to work best for me is the Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray, which I now use religiously. Last year, I got bitten on the hand just after we arrived at the airport (hadn't thought to use the spray before that!) - the bite went septic, as they usually do with me, and I had to get antibiotics and cream from the chemist. However, I used the spray throughout the rest of the holiday and didn't get another bite the whole time. Needless to say, I'll be covering myself with it right from the word go this time round!
A good few years ago me and hubby to be used to go to the Caribbean quite a lot. Whilst we where there we usually had Mosquito nets on our beds..the point is neither of us and many other guests at the time had many bites at all. Since then we bought some on E-Bay and usually take them wherever we go,especially somewhere new like Turkey although from what I have been told they might not be needed this time.

Highly recommended at night though.
I always use the local spray - Sinkoy.

Have no idea what's in it but it works for me!
Yes, we still use Sinkoy now. Excellent.
I agree with Blondescot, The sss dry oil body spray from Avon, which used to be woodland fresh fragrance is now called soft and fresh, I will be getting my supply's in ready for July when I go!
Sinkov or Johnson's Off are proabably the best things, you can get both in the pahrmacy or supermarkets over there. Also lemon cologne is quite good for keping them away and it lovely and cooling too.
I've tried sinkov and the local lemon stuff - neither works for me.

I have ordered some bottles of Avon SSS to take with me this year to give that a try.
for some reason i always get bitten in the first 2 or 3 days of being in turkey... after that its not so bad, none of my kids get bitten, just me... must taste nice lol... 2 or 3 years ago i got bitten on my left arm, it swelled up so much i looked like i had huge muscles on 1 arm... it became quiet sceptic, needed anti-biotics... this year im going armed with lemon water, just hoping the smell of it doesnt attract the little blighters! :yikes
Take Marmite and eat it - Mosi's hate it.
huge*abba*fan wrote:
Take Marmite and eat it - Mosi's hate it.

I know loads of folk recommend that, but I'm a Marmite addict (eat the stuff every day), and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me. I think some things work for some people, but not for others, and it just seems to be a case of trying different suggestions until you find the one which works for you, personally.
My daughter gets bitten as well (first year it was the fish as well) and they get badly infected on her (she got bitten in Wales though :que ). She's been advised to try taking garlic tablets for 3 months before going....quite a few people advised it so are giving it ago...was only 69p for a bottle of tablets anyway. Will post after the holiday to say if they snacked on her again.
I take Vit B complex tablets 2 weeks before i go away and while i am away, i dont get bitten
Tried the garlic, vit B, the lot - nothing seems to work for me. I even get bitten to death by our notorious Scottish midgies though... :(
The lil suckers always get me too! Mainly on an evening, how rude!

Love Nikki x x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.