Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I've been 7 times and never got my tourist visa in advance. It's £10 per person in advance (only payable by postal order) or $10 per person (just over £5) when you get there. Never had to queue for more than 10-15 minutes so I would save your money and just buy it when you arrive.
Hi

Sorry if this has already been asked before.

I am going to the DR for 2 weeks in May. I understand there is some charge you pay when entering or leaving DR.

Can anyone tell me what this charge is, where do I pay it and what currency can I use

Thanks
From memory entrance is 10 US Dollars and exit is 20 US Dollars. Check with your airline as exit fees are sometimes included in flight costs.
Delta is correct. I just got back 2 days ago and it cost me $10US to get in and First Choice had already paid my $20 to get out. We also got the immigration cards to fill out on the plane so it was a really straightforward and quick process getting through immigration.
Can anyone tell me if you need a visa for the Dominican, have read that you need a tourist card which you can either get at the airport or apply to the DR Embassy but my travel agent is telling me we dont need one!! can anyone tell me if i need one or not? (we are all on British Passports)

Thank you :wave:
Tell your Travel Agent to Check here they will note you DO need a Tourist Card.

http://www.dominicanembassy.org.uk/Touristcard.html
Thanks qatarman, i knew you did but when you have your travel agent saying you didnt well i didnt know what to think, saying that this same travel agent had to ask what the code for Puerta Plata airport was!

I think i better go over all my paperwork very carefully or who knows were we will end up lol :rofl
I always get mine before we leave. Much nicer than queing after a long flight. If you go onto the Dom Rep embassy link above, you can now order them online. They are £10 each and £2 for P&P. They will be with you in just a couple of days. You can order up to 4 at a time and don't even have to supply names or passport details.
Doing it by post you will have to pay by Bankers Draft or Postal Order and also need to send a photocopy of your details page from your passport.
Online is the easiest.
Lorraine
I think i will get mine before we go, like you said after a long flight you want to get to your resort asap. Do they only last a certain amount of time? We dont go until Aug next year so just wondered when i should start thinking about geting them ordered?
I would not bother until perhaps next June. As I said if you do it online, they will arrive within a day or two.
Lorraine
Unless you have private transfers to your hotel its really a waste of money to get visa's in advance, the coach can't leave until everybody is done.
I've travelled 7 times to the DR and never bought my tourist card in advance. It only takes 5 minutes to get one over there and everyone is waiting for their luggage at the same time whether they had the card in advance or not.
I've just returned from a 6 week trip out there and it cost me $10 to get in and $20 + 300 pesos to get out but if your staying less than 30 days its only $10 in and $20 out.
sam
As an update on this subject, I have previously flown into Puerto Plata airport and the queue was quite long for the tourist card.
However this year we flew into Punta Cana and there was no queing whatsoever. So I guess we did pay a little more than we needed to. However in the grand scheme of things, I was still pleased I had it beforehand.
As for waiting on the coach for others etc., as there were 55 of us in our group, we all got on the same coach and were dropped off at the same hotel, so having our tourist cards beforehand did speed things up.....as we would have formed a fairly long queue of our own!!
Lorraine
Does the Tourist card have to be filled in or is it just a printed card?? We are going for the first time.
We flew with Thomsons and they gave out the forms on the plane, you do need a pen to complete them.
Make a note of passport numbers, flight numbers in and out and the name of your hotel, the rest is the usual name, address, age, place of birth, nationality etc.
My son left parts of his blank because he didn't have the flight or passport numbers handy and they still accepted them.

We were then given the same forms on the return transfer coach requiring the same details which was different to the last time we went when we just handed over the plastic cards they gave us on the way in, I wondered if they had run out of cards this time or perhaps they were working out too expensive so they've changed things.

It didn't really take long and Punta Cana is a really quaint little airport with its thatched roofs.
Is it right you only need a tourist card not a visa if you are travelling from uk to dominican republic
Is it right you only need a tourist card not a visa if you are travelling from uk to dominican republic

That is correct, it will cost you $10 US at the present time.

You also have to pay $20 US to leave the country unless your TO pays it for you.
We have been going to Goa for the last four years and you have to get your visa from the Indian Embassy before you go, last year one couple coudnt fly because they thought you could buy the visa once you arrived so but I am getting paranoid now!

Its our first time to the DR and am i right that you pay for your tourist card on arrival and if so what currency should we use. Sorry if this has been asked many times before.

Thanks

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.