Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Well, we did the mt sinia/st catherines trip last year. we booked in naama bay bus was 45mins late picking us up and it was a mini bus and not a coach, and not a very new one!!! it took well over 2 1/2 hrs to get there, not a trip i would recommend. the climb up the mountain is hard going we made it in time to see sunrise and it was lovely, but you have to walk all the way back down again!!!! there was a huge que to get into st catherines and there is only one way in and same way out so you were packed very tight!!!!! it was hot and i could not wait to get out and back to the hotel for a swim. think hard about this trip!!!!!
hiya all thanks for the info. :D
well.......what can i say. I was really looking forward to the st cathrines trip- but with 3 kids in tow i dont think that it sounds such a good idea now. :cry: I am so glad that there are people out there that are so helpful.Iwas also gonna go to the pyramids but dont fancy going on a long coach trip or a little tiny plane so will also give that one a miss. I think a glass bottom boat trip will be our limit. Lol.
A couple of nice days out, especially if you have little ones, are to Ras Nasrani or Ras Mohammed. These are really beautiful places - Ras Nasrani you have the opportunity to go snorkelling so can take it in turns to stay on the beach, that is only a half day. Ras Nasrani is usually a full day. you can walk out through warm shallow water to an old shipwreck through the mangrove swamps. There is a bedouin village there - they are nearly all deaf & will try to sell you jewellrey.
Another good day out is to Coloured Canyon, followed by a stop in Nuweiba for lunch & some time on the beach, lastly a stop in Dahab which I found good for shopping. The Canyon is not really suitable for very small children though & there is a bit of climbing/scrambling about involved.
Hi claypole
my hubby and daughter went to petra about 2 yrs ago we were holidaying at the Taba Hilton then right on the Israel border and it was a long trip. they left the hotel around 5.30am and did not arrive back until 8pm, both thought it was the most amazing place ever, me i stayed by the pool. petra would be a long trip from sharm but is amazing when you get there, hubby and daughter would recommend it and both want to return it is a vast place and they want to see more of it. elaine
I forgot to say in my report re:Sonesta Beach in Sharm that it seems to be the norm to canvas now on the beach. Most are staff from the Sonesta and some of their trips seem to be ok, but my experience panicked me, i wanted to share this story, especially if you are in a couple. Might be long winded, but i was always told i should have had a job on jackanory

............................................................................................................

CAMEL RIDES IN THE DESERT

A guy canvessing on the beach asked us about any of the trips on the pamplet, as we hadnt done any as only there for a week, i decided to go on a camel ride to see the sunset with hubby.

The day of the trip, i had tummy problems big time, and asked if we could change it for another day. He told me i would be fine, and to drink mint tea, which i do anyway. Luckily we only paid him half the money, not the full amount until the day of the trip, just in case of problems like this.

Suffice to say, although i never ate anything at all that day, we went on the trip.

We got picked up at the Sonesta Beach reception, taken over the busy peace road, into a clapped out old jeep that stunk of petrol. We were the only two travelling :cry:

Our man that took us was Egyptian and called John.

We actually booked a camel for two of us to ride as a double. When we got there it was in the desert, miles away (at least 2 hours walk) to the sea, there were some Beduoin tents, and mountains.

Our guide was a young 17 year old and although tried, couldnt speak much English.

I pretended i was ok, but i was begining to have worrying doubts about this trip, why were we the only ones on a camel ride going off in the desert, and being driven further and further away from the tents. I could see millions of quad bikes zooming by, so i knew we wernt alone in that respect. But i didnt like the fact we were on our own.

We were on the camel about half an hour and made to get off, so the camel could rest near one of these mountains. Next the guy brought out a beduoin bracelet for peace each. Of course tipping required, Sam didnt give him any money to start off with, and the guy asked for money for present, Sam said well i never asked for one :lol: But gave him couple of quid.

Next he said walk up the mountain to see the sunset, i said no because of safety and the fact i only had flip flops on :shock: he said they would be fine, and there i am climbing up this steep mountain. I didnt like this at all and was scared. I am 5 ft 10 tall, briar has seen me, so she knows i dont get scared easily. He was getting abit impatient with me (the guide not Sam)

We had some good photo opportunties in this time, they came out really good.

Next he told us we were off somewhere else, and alarm bells started ringing. I looked across to see how far i could run to do a quick getaway to the sea, estimated 2 hours with no drink with us. By this time the quad bikes had gone on a ride, no one around only at the tents. I said to Sam i wanted to go back to the hotel. I said to him did he feel uncomfortable, and he was smiling to the man, i could have cracked him over the head with camel dung :roll:

The man started taking the camels behind the mountain into the desert now getting dark, i asked him where we were going, he said to meet some friends for 10 mins, 10 mins somewhere else, rest, then off to the beduoin tents for a rest and drink.

All of a sudden i noticed that our 4x4 wasnt there, i said this to Sam, by this time, he was worried, i said i extimated a getaway of two hours down to the sea, he reckoned we wouldnt make it, as it was getting dark.

I said to the man i didnt feel well, (i was, but made out i needed loo as bad tummy)he said at beduoin tent, toilets are there, i asked him to take us back to the Sonesta, he said camel wont go that far, i said, Noooooo in a car, i want to go NOW :oops:
He realised i was getting upset and angry, and eventually after 2.5 hours on a camel, took us back., I could see the hotels near the sea again, and felt a bit better. Another tip required for taking us back and the actual camel ride by guide £8 UK, on top of the actual trip £40.

As we were coming up against the Beduoin tents, more people were there, selling stuff, we didnt buy any. We got asked if we wanted a drink, i wanted just to go back, but had to stay till our lift came back.

Everyone asked us, the Egyptians if we liked it, i said yes, i wasnt going to admit i was terrified. The man came to us in the jeep, and we set off. I did notice at the end of the trip there were some Tourist Police there. I wished i had seen them first.
This taught me one thing at least, do not go alone on trips without a person that is staying with us, eg, a rep. We felt very uncomfortable, and sick. We were under the impression that a lot of people would be there, but no, we were there on our own, in the heat of the desert, with no one to scream to.

I was glad to get back.......SAFELY and alive

Michelle xx
Homestead

Just got back from Sharm. Thomas Cook do a day trip to Cairo by plane for $299 each (approx £150). Kids are only a little bit cheaper. We did it by coach for $100 each. Although it was a much longer day (1am pick up rather than 5am), we were able to sleep on the coach as it was half empty so we could have seats to ourselves. Glad we did the coach trip rather than the plane.

The itinerary for both was the same - 2 hour tour of the Egyptian Museum (it was very hot and personally I found it boring listening to the guide, I prefer to wander around and look at things at my own pace), lunch at a restaurant overlooking the Nile, visit to a Papyrus factory, see the Pyramids (AMAZING) and the Sphinx then finish with a trip to a market (didn't enjoy this as we got lost and had a lot of hassle from traders).

It's worth doing the trip for the Pyramids alone.

Hope this helps.
Hightower, your tour rep will almost certainly offer excursions to Cairo, but don't forget, if you book through someone else, do please ensure that they carry the necessary insurance! This applies to any excursions, quad bike rides etc that you may go on.
Hi

I wonder if anybody has any advice about the above

My boyfriend and I are going to Sharm in 5 weeks. :D We really want to do the above trip, however we are unsure whether to pay the extra to fly as opposed to taking the bus. The price difference seems quite a lot, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice/experience that they could let me know about.

Also are there any companies that you would recommend to book this trip through?

Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks
Lorraine
hi loz 26, we have recently returned from sharm and did the trip to cairo by plane and believe me, if you can afford it,it is well worth the extra. plane trip takes approx 55 mins as opposed to over 6 cramped hours on a coach especially in the heat. we actually booked our trip with med hotels but there were people in our hotel who went to naama bay and booked through a travel agent there and payed a little less than we did. we payed £135 each and they payed about £10 less. make sure you pay in egyptian pounds as we found by using debit card we ended up paying extra money in exchange rate charges as they charge you in usa dollars then it gets changed back to gbp when taken from your account

tina+t :)
I have read through all the posts regards excursions to Cairo and the pyramids - does anybody know if it is possible to go to Luxor and if so can it be done in a day or do you really need longer. Also how much it costs (approx). Haven't yet booked we are thinking of going next year and just wondering the best resort to stay in. We quite like the sound of Sharm but would also like to see some of the sites, although with two children don't want anything too long and involved. Many thanks.
denyse

its up to you really. there will always be places free so you won't miss out if you wait til you get there. we went with first choice because we were worried about other companies being properly insured seeing we had 2 kids with us and also because they used what i call a proper plane instead of a propeller one! didn't fancy a little plane as we wanted to get there as quickly as possible. naama bay has plenty of places offering trips but do ask about insurance if you choose them and find out what plane it is in case you have to flap your arms!
My husband and I are going to sharm el sheikh in Oct. Our first time in Edgypt :D We want to see the pyramids on a day trip. How much will this cost?? where should we book for the best price and will the day be too long for the kids aged 6 and 8. My boy really wants to go but am worried it might be a disaster if they are tired etc. :( Any advise atall will be really appreciated. Do chilren usually go on these trips. Is there anywhere to get snacks or do you take food and drinks with you.
Representative prices here.

It is a very long day trip. Though from Sharm by plane is better than some of the other resorts that only do the day trip by coach.
With young kids the 2-day might be better.
  • Edited by alanwall 2006-09-10 13:37:13
I have done one day trips to Cairo several times and believe me, without wishing to be too negative, its a long and tiring day for adults let alone young children, whether you go by plane or by coach. Of course, what you see when you are there is truly spectacular and I wish i'd seen it all as a child.

It can still be very hot in october and I suppose you are the only ones who can imagine how your children will react in the heat. Of course your transport in Cairo will be air conditioned and parts of the Cairo Museum are too.

I cant ever remember seeing a lot of children on this trip but I am reminded of one young chap, who, after we'd all made the long and uncomfortable climb to the top inside the Great Pyramid, looked into the sarcophagus in the burial chamber and exclaimed, "Dad, it's empty!!!"
Tour operators do a two-day Cairo + pyramids trip, would that help?
Example, details here
Hi
Can anyone suggest places to go/see or excusions to get the best of sharm? Only problem we're only there for 1wk???? Egypt first timers!
Go on a days snorkelling with the dive school, go to Dahab, see St Catherines Monastery, ride a camel, play in the sea and spend a couple of evenings wandering Naama Bay...bliss!!!
I am thinking of doing the moses mountain trip from the LTI GA next week. I have figured out I don't need a Visa, but how strenuous is it?
Is it the long walk up the camel path or the shorter steeper climb up the Moses Steps? Is it suitable for middle aged ! people with controlled high blood pressure? Do you get much of a look around the monastry?
Cairo by Coach from Sharm

We didn't book our trip with Thomas Cook as we deemed it too expensive. In NAAM bay there were a few places advertising a day trip to CAIRO, whether you wanted to go by plane or coach. We chose the latter and paid £32 each. The cost of the trip included the following:

Coach trip return
Local tour Guide
Entry into Egyptian Museum (normal cost £5)
Mini boat trip on the nile. Approx 45 mins (normal cost £3)
Lunch at the pyramids
Entry into the Sphinx (normal price 50p)

The coach departed from our hotel on the Monday morning 0130am. We were picked up from the hotel in a minvan then taken to sharm market where all the people going to Cairo are taken from the hotels and met there. We were then transferred to a coach. It had toilet facilities onboard should you need them. We also had on board an Egyptian tour rep and two security staff. We left at approx 2.30am and arrived in Cairo at 9am stopping on the way to eat breakfast for which you are advised to ask your hotel to give you a takeout breakfast.

On arrival in Cairo at approx 9am we were taken straight to the Egyptian Museum where we were met by another guide for Cairo. We spent 2 hours in the museum where we were shown around many artefacts. However there were so many we were informed it would take you about 3 weeks to see everything.

On leaving the Museum we were taken to the nile for a 45 min boat trip. After that it was back on the coach straight to Giza where we had the choice of a buffet meal. The view from the restaurant was amazing right in front of us were the pyramids. After lunch we were taken to the pyramids and our guide gave us a quick talk on them before we had approx 45 mins at each pyramid. We did not go inside the pyramids as time unfortunately did not allow this. We finished at the Sphinx as the place closes at 4pm. We were then taken 200 yards to a perfume demonstration for approx 30mins. There was no obligation to buy but it was interesting nontheless. After that we were back on the coach and then taken to a shop which demonstrated how the Egyptians used to make paper from the papyrus plant. Again this was informal and there was no pressure to buy anything.
We departed Cairo at 6.30pm back to Sharm. Unfortunatley on the way back there was an accident involving 9 cars, we were stuck in traffic for about 90 mins. We arrived back at sharm 02.30 am.
Overall the trip was amazing and well worth the money. I would like to say that I do not think the coach trip would be suitable for families with young children as it is a long day.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.