Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thanks very much that's great. I used Portland for egypt last year and they didn't have screen's in the back of the seats, only 3-4 situated along the middle row.
I've been looking for budget flights to Florida. Many charter line operator have really low fares for flight that start tomorrow or the same week. Do these go all year round or are certain months more certain to have these offers. Has anyone flown on "standby" fares like these? I am looking to tickets for five persons. What is the low season when standby tickets are more available?
DC888,

We're coming up the the high season for flights to Florida (school hols and Disney World means very busy!). There are flights to SFB/MCO all year round but frequency is higher at this time of year for the summer rush. Last minutes fares generally aren't standby tickets, not on charters anyway. They can only sell available seats. It might be different with schedules carriers. I have a friend who's flown standby with Virgin and he didn't have a problem although he was a little worried when there were only 11 seat left 24 hours before his flight home and if they were sold, he'd have to wait 2 more days for the next flight and cross fingers for available seats! Low season is winter and between school hols.

Darren
We are crusing from Ft Laudedale in Jan 09, would we be better to book flights now or wait a few months, flights at the moment are coming out at about £450 to Ft lauderdale but involve some silly flight arrival times, or to Miami (direct for the same money) but then we have to get a £40 cab ride each way to Fort Lauderdale, for the same price.

Anyone used any online sites apart from Expedia,Opodo.
£450 is too steep. I've found tickets starting from £240 from Thomas Cook. They are seling empty seat to flights next day/same week. The price I found was for 17th June.

So far London Gatwick <-> Orlando Sanford seems to have best deals for Thomas Cook.

What about flying from Ireland? Some carriers/charters have cheaper flight starting from specific airport and going to yet another specific airport in the USA. Fox example Dublin <-> Fort Myers and Manchester <-> Fort Lauderdale.
DC888,

You'll find the charters fly in to SFB only. There are no flights from MAN to Fort Lauderdale, only to SFB and MCO unless you go via a US airport (with CO, BA, AA, Bmi, DL or US). I'd be surprised if you get anything cheaper than £240 with anyone else. Zoom are starting LGW - Fort Lauderdale, might be worth a look.

Darren
Thanks for the info. £240 is a GREAT price but unfortunately I can't take it at this time. I am planning a september of october vacation as my dates are flexible. My destination is also flexible: somewhere in the US! Preferable FLA.
Thanks Dazbo

Zoom only fly to Fort Lauderdale April - Oct, we had the same problem when we cruised from San Diego in apil, they only flew to to there April - Oct.

We are crusing Jan 09, whoch is peak season for crusing from Fort Lauderdale Im am surprised that so few airlines fly there, we are not bothered about changing planes i just think that £450 each is abit steep considering we only paid £325 each for San Diego which is alot further.
huskypup,

Trouble is, Fort Lauderdale isn't a winter holiday destination and lacks the attractions of further south. That's why the charters don't fly there. I think demand / supply applies here as well. Somewhere like San Diego has the capicity to keep fares lower, Fort Lauderdale doesn't. Just have to try the main schedule carriers and hope you get a good price.

Darren
Hi can anyone tell me when the flights or fly-drives to Orlando are on sale for November 2009 it only goes up to October 2009, i know Virgin flydrives are out but very expensive i hope they come down a little or we wont be going. We flew with First Choice last time.
We're planning our first trip to Florida for next April and would appreciate advice on which are the best airlines to use and which (if any) we should avoid. We don't want to pay silly money for business class etc but we would like plenty of legroom and good food and service.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum Sparkie! :wave:

I've moved your post to the flights forum where the experts hang out ;)

Pippy :)
sparkie,

For direct flights, you have the choice of (in no particular order):

Virgin Atlantic
Travel City Direct / XL
Thomsonfly
First Choice
Thomas Cook
Monarch

They're all pretty similar these days in terms of what they offer, apart from Monarch. Have a read through the relevant airline threads on here for opinions. It comes down to price really. Of the list, I would try First Choice first, followed by Virgin, but that's just me! I wouldn't say avoid Monarch, but given they haven't (and have no plans to) improved seat pitch in line with the other charter airlines, they wouldn't enter the frame unless they were silly cheap.

Darren
brother and family just back on monday they went with virgin which they said was an excellent flight the staff onboard the plane could'nt do enough for you food etc was really good he says this is the best flight to orlando he has had through the past couple of years. the kids were well catered for and what the kids get on board is excellent . :tup
Best from manchester?

First Choice/Thomsonfly- they'll be one by then
Virgin

Top tip though, if you don't live too far try going from Birmingham airport as you will be guaranteed what was a First Choice aircraft which are a lot more comfy than the existing Thomsonfly aircraft.

Virgin 31" in Economy- they are good and they have got the "Orlando Experience" for the kids down to a fine art.
Monarch 30" in Economy(I believe) and 34" in Premium
XL
all have less legroom than

Thomson Airways(First Choice/Thomsonfly) 33" in economy and 36/37" in Premium
Thomas Cook 33" and 35" in premium

Please do bear in mind,the flight is only 17 hours combined and a small part of your holiday, don't let the airline rule your choice. Save the pennies and spend them on mickey mouse! :tup
Many thanks for your helpful replies. This is the first time I've used this forum and it's fantastic to have such a great response.

Thanks again to all concerned.
Hi all, we've decided to go back to Orlando in July 2009.....my question is

A..... has anyone booked their flights yet for around this time? (and if you have, can I be nosey and ask what you paid)
B......Is it too early? or should I wait for better deals???
C......Should we book our car hire this early????

We always book a villa direct...........

Look forward to your help

Many thanks
My advice would be book the flight when your happy paying the price on offer. It "could" go up/down there is no set date when it is cheaper or more expensive.

I don't think you'll struggle to get a seat even leaving it right upto the last minute- unless you are adament you want to fly out of a regional airport like GLA or EMA however prices can go up and down more than the spiderman ride at universal studios.

Car hire, I would wait- but not too late, and certainly not less than 4 weeks before, I struggled with car hire abroad recently but still managed to get a good deal.
A good tip is hire a basic car and upgrade when your in resort (if you want)
e.g.
a convertible prebooking was £140 but a economy car (small focus) was £54, Once in Orlando I paid an extra £50 for a convertible PLUS sat nav total £104! only £36-but better in my pocket than someone else's!
Just thought I'd let you know we have booked our flights to Orlando £449 for next June with Ocean Florida (Thomas Cook) :sun2 ................cant wait :D woo hoo!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.