Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Airport Lounges
143 Posts
Hi there
I used the lounge at Birmingham a couple of years ago and it was really nice. I was on my own and it was really quiet, you can help yourself to everything, from cakes to alcoholic drinks. I cannot drink coffee or alcohol before a flight, as it makes me queazy but I had plenty of tea and biscuits, read the news paper, it was very relaxing.
I always wear trainers, as they are ideal for nipping on and off planes. I wasn't turned away from the lounge wearing them.

Dawnie-Rob
I use them all the time as I'm a gold card BA holder and similiar with BMI. These 2 are pretty good at the big airports but obviously smaller at Southampton and Glasgow etc. They can get very busy at times though and no children allowed!

When I go on my family holidays I use the servisair ones as they allow in quote "well behaved children", they obviously get mine on a good day! :evil: Not quite as good as BA but still pretty good.

The price discrepancy can be huge in booking though. I think servisair direct is about £58 for three of us or £37 on holiday extras. Worth shopping around! :D

http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/airport-lounges.html

https://www.executivelounges.com/en/index.asp
I've just had a text from my brother in law saying that they were in the executive lounge at Cardiff airport before their flight to Mexico. He said that it was well worth the money. Can anyone enlighten me what do you get for this extra expense?

I use the Executive Lounges for my annual trip to the sun. Its a great start to the holiday and like people have said on previous posts - its very relaxing.

I've used the ones at Heathrow, Manchester, Gatwick and Bristol. I've used the one at Bristol 4 or 5 times (as i live 15 minutes away) and it is obviously the smallest of the 4.

I've only ever had 1 problem and that was at Bristol about 5 years ago when they were having their carpets shampooed believe it or not. I had booked it months in advance - before they stopped accepting bookings for that day. However, there was still a receptionist there for any problems (like me!) and she authorised a full refund and 2 complimentary tickets for the next time we fly AND i could still have free booze but had to sit with the poor people (sorry but thats my sisters phrase when looking down into the Departure Lounge from the Executive Lounge!)

Anyway - get to the airport nice and early, check-in, go straight to the Departure Lounge, browse the Duty Free then go the the Lounge and relax with a nice stiff drink before your flight :wink:
Servisair Lounges at Glasgow airport states "complimentary hot and cold drinks". Does anyone know if this includes alcohol? I've checked other airports and it actually mentions alcohol, whereas Glasgow doesn't.
Thanks.
Hi can anyone tell me if the internet access in the lounges at manchester airport are also included in the cost.

many thanks

gazz
We used the airport lounge at Aberdeen last month. We arrived at the airport early so we wouldn't be travelling in evening rush hour traffic. It was cheapest booking through Servisair direct at £16 each. For that we had free drinks including alcohol (beers and spirits) crisps, cakes, cheese and biscuits etc. It was very relaxing although it was quite busy and well worth it. Also allowed me to have my pre calming drink before boarding the plane :lol:
PS Does anyone know if you can pay to use the BA lounges?
Hi sugarbabe

Is the lounge at Aberdeen before or after security? If I remember correctly it's after security at the left hand side as you go down the steps.

I am now a bmi Silver Club card holder which entitles me to use the bmi lounges free of charge. I wondered if I would be allowed to use the Servisair one seeing as Aberdeen doesn't have a bmi one. Think I might email them.

luci :wave
Hi Luci

The Servisair is after security on your right after you pass the Duty Free shop then the Cafe. There is also a BA one (which looks much nicer than the Servisair) straight ahead of you walking that same walkway (past the shop and cafe) and is next to the new Dixons shops.

I think Eastern Airways have a lounge down through the gates although I maybe wrong on that.

I would really like to try the BA one but not sure you can get access to that.

Good idea re emailling them although don't hold your breath for a reply. I emailled then with a query on my booking and never got a reply!
Thanks sugarebabe, I think I remember seeing them now. I try to spend as little time as possible airside at ABZ partly because I'm a smoker and partly because there's not much there.

I just looked on bmi's site for an email address, but couldn't find one although there were phone numbers to try which are closed now. I have emailed them in the past so I'll have to dig out the address.

luci :wave
Luci

Sorry I didn't explain very well, it was Servisair I emailled who never responded.

As you say there is not alot to do at ABZ that is why we booked the lounge last time. Airside is soooooooo boring in Aberdeen with a small Duty Free, WH Smith and the very exciting (not) Dixons. You are also lucky to get a seat at the gates as well!
Whats the stansted one like ?? looking to book for next year
We're flying economy with Lufthansa in December going to Abu Dhabi via Frankfurt. We have a few hours stopover in Frankfurt and were thinking of booking a lounge, but can't find any information on how to do so. I've tried Lufthansa website but we have to be members of certain clubs to use their lounges. I can't find any information on Frankfurt airport's website.
Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
There probably aren't any Lounges that you can pay to use, almost all are connected to Airlines ( can only be used by their members)or possibly Diners Club. I live in Germany and travel from Frankfurt occasionally I used to have access to Lufthansa lounges and and don't recollect seeing any other than Airline lounges when I was looking for directions. You may be able to buy a pass for one visit through http://www.PriorityPass.com as they have access to hundreds of lounges worldwide but I think you have to buy membership of the company.
I havent read all of the posts, so someone might have already covered this, but we are flying with Flyglobespan from Glasgow on 12th September Business Class, and as part of Business class it says you have access to the lounge before departure - what lounge do they mean? Is there more than one lounge? Is it the lounge that you usually have to pay £16 for?
Glittergirl,
There are 3 lounges at Glasgow airport, one land-side and 2 air-side. Unfortunately I don't know which one you would use. If you go onto the customer relations page of their website you can enquire there.
This year, unable to get Premium flights for the dates we wanted, are considering paying for the exec lounge in Manchester before departing to Goa.

Hopefully this will add a bit of luxury and excitement (?) to the holiday, but also help to reassure my nerves about flying.
My OH is more concerned that he can watch the football scores ( which I think is FA cup day) . Last year the jobs worth behind the bar would not change the channel from some crappy music channel to BBC1 . Luckily there was a change of personnel ( english first language) who after realising it was FA cup on BBC1 , changed the channel and everyone in the bar cheered.
To add insult to Injury Monarch had replaced the plane to Goa, so it was late and there was no Premium class which we had paid for. I pay extra to get the personal entertainment ( just had normal uk gold crap) the extra width on the seat for my large posterior, and the extra luggage allowance for the extra suitcase full of kids clothes.

Providing the upgrade to terminal one has happened, I might not bother with the lounge.
What does free drinks and nibbles mean? Do they monitor how many you have so you can't drink too much?
I kind of hope they do so people don't drink too much, but I kind of hope they don't stop you after 3 drinks within 3 hours. Afterall, I am not flying the plane.

Thanks
sorry whizzylizzy i dont know but will be intrigued to see if anyone does...we are thinking of doing this also....i know the cheapest way to purchase is online....if you go through quidco you can get cash back too...so works out £19 each.
;)
I was thinking about this also thought it mite be a nice surprise for the other half.I could tell him its his xmas present :rofl

Pip
x
I dont think its worth it, we went in exc lounge at Manchester last year its nothing special, no service you just help yourself, cans, bottles and nibbles, newspapers etc, spirits! as much as you like just help yourself from the bottles you could get yourself in a right mess if your not carefull, I took some cans of stella out of the lounge with me in the OH bag! the steward on the plane was not impressed when he saw them, he told me it was against the law to open them on the plane :( , he was even more upset with me when I put the empty cans in the rubbish bag. :rofl :rofl :rofl

Dont think there was a tv and to make matters worse the OH is teetotal when travelling so a bit of a waste of money, overall not good value, having said all that maybe its a bit of a treat to the start your holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.