Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
HuddersfieldTourist,

Are you meaning the way in which seating is allocated? Thomson Airways flights are allocated using the computer model. flights chartered by other companies are allocated to whatever system they are asked to do. In the case of P&O charters, the airline operate the flight, P&O sort out everything else.

Darren
hello Darren

Yes I was intending that which you queried. In your comment " the airline operate the flight " - I assume you meant everything to do with the flight including where they want the passengers sitting ( for weight distribution etc if it is not full ).

Thanks
HuddersfieldToursit
My wife and I have booked premium seating for our transatlantic cruise next month. We did not expect anything in the way of extra's on the short haul flight out to Portugal, but when choosing our seats on the internet the layout of the seating (2-3-2) gives the impression that it may be a similar type of aircraft flying both short, then long haul. For what we have paid (£99/pp) we will be more than happy as long as we have greater comfort on the return leg, but is there any way of knowing beforehand what we may get for our money?

Flying out Gatwick to Lisbon (TOM4728) on December 6th.
Flying back La Romana (TOM023) on December 20th.

Auldyin.

P.S. We have already had a bad experience when booking premium seating for Cape Verde which we did not get.
When a long haul aircraft is scheduled to operate a short haul sector the premium cabin is operated as extra legroom rather than a dedicated premium cabin. There isn't the time to do a premium service and a half hearted attempt/service usually causes more problems than its worth.

I have just checked there is no service exceptions mentioned about this flight. If I here about any I will PM you.

Your flight home will be the full premium service, including complimentary drinks.
man to cmf tom2626 12th december what plane will be used ?
buster27,

MAN-CMF-MAN (TOM2626/7) are operated by a Boeing 757-200.

Darren
going on a ski holiday just wondering is it possible to pack my board bag with me clothes as long as dont go over the 20 kg to save on ski carriage ?
buster27,

As long as it conforms to the luggage regulations, then yes. However I suspect your snow board will exceed the dimensions for a suitcase so it'll have to be check-ed in as outsized baggage with the appropriate charges. More details on Thomsons website and sporting equipment here.

Darren
hi guys been reading this part of the sight recently, i must say that some of the people here go out of their way to inform and advice.

So my turn, Thomson Manchester to Kenya is that operated by First Choice or Thomson a/c? Has anyone done this route or visited kenya with thomson/fca?
Richard1987,

It just so happens I have!! I went last March and had a wonderful time watching the animals in Tsavo East / West and getting up close and personal with the Black Tip Sharks off Bamburi! I posted some photos here. Flights are normally operated by a Boeing 767-300/ER from the former First Choice fleet. I assume you're travelling summer 2010? You might want to ask again closer to the time just to confirm it. I didn't do a trip report for those flights as I've already written 4 and they were up to their usual high standard! You'll find them linked from our What Aircraft? guide where you'll find lots of other aircraft information, eg aircraft photos and seating plans.

Darren
is there anywhere you havent been?
or someone you havent replied to?

thanks alot, yeah its 2010. looking forward to it, travelling in premium class, did you travel the same way or know what the quality is like in premium?
about how much did you spend on trips in kenya? were going to Nyali Beach and the Voyager Hotel

thanks for your reply
Richard1987 wrote:
is there anywhere you havent been?

My want to visit list is still the length of a piece of A4 paper!

Richard1987 wrote:
or someone you havent replied to?

Plenty but we're here to help!

I don't bother with the premium cabin as I personally think the economy cabin offers everything you need. Premium is a very nice experience though, there's plenty of passenger opinion on this thread. I'm sure you'll have very pleasant flights too.

I can't say too much about Kenya itself here as it's off topic, we have the Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum for that. You can spend from a couple of hundred pounds to well over a thousand depending what you want to do. You can view the excursion list and prices on Thomsons website. There are others that offer excursions other than your tour operator. The Voyager is a nice looking hotel. We went there to pick people up while diving so I had a quick nosey round in my wetsuit!

Darren
Hi everyone,

Hoping you can help me please. We are flying Gatwick - Male (Maldives) on 31st Jan 2010 flight TOM 0054/return TOM 0055 for our honeymoon. I was wondering if you know what aircraft will be used please so I can check the seating plan? We have already paid to pre-book our seats, but as I don't know the seating plan I have idea which seats to book. I have read if you sit over the wing your less likely to feel turbulance - anyone know if this is correct?

I have a fear of flying (actually rejected a good deal on a honeymoon because it was flying with Monarch and I could not stand being cramped with little leg room and not to have IFE!) but I have flown with First Choice the last 4 times and really like them so we booked with Thomson purely because of the flights!

Thanks in advance
Whats happening with the 787? when do Thomson "expect" to see that? do they intend to open any new routes with the introduction of the 787, i heard Hawaii.. :que

shame Thomson dont want Airbus, but i can understand its cheaper to operate 1 type.
kellyjordan22

welcome to HT.. i will let one of the boys advise you of aircraft type, as to your second question, the area 2 rows in front to 2 rows behind the wings are the strongest part of the airframe and offer the advantage of bring in the rotational pivot point so you will feel less turbulence in this area, wing exit seats have qualifications to enable you to book [must be adult must be physically fit to assist if the need arises] they are also charged by most airlines as extra leg room, the down side is you wont get a decent view from the beginning of the wing to the a couple of rows back from it..

wizard
Richard1987,

The 787 (aka 7-late-7!) is an ongoing saga. There are manufacturing and design problems that Boeing didn't envisage that has delayed the programme over 2 years. The aircraft should have already been delivered but the type hasn't even had it's maiden flight yet. Problems lie with a structural problem and a need to reinforce an area within the side-of-body section of the aircraft, and problems with composite materials. Boeing seem to have resolved the problem though with a redesign. First flights is now expected around 22nd December 2009. Providing everything goes to plan, Thomson Airways probably won't start to see the delivery of aircraft until April or May 2011, airframe number 46. Given the current economic climate and overall reduction in capacity, I wouldn't think any new routes will be opened up for the time being. I very much doubt Hawaii will be introduced!

Darren
kellyjordan22,

Welcome onboard :tup
LGW-MLE-LGW (TOM054/5) are operated by a former First Choice Boeing 767-300/ER. You'll find further aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide, including seats plans (you want the 258 seat aircraft). As Wizard mentions, the wing area of the aircraft is around the aircrafts centre of gravity and therefore aircraft movements are felt less. It's a good place to be if you don't like the feeling of flight. You'll still feel turbulance, but it'll be slightly less than the extreme ends of the aircraft.

Darren
Wizard and Darren,

Thank you both so much for your replies.

I take it the plane is a 2-3-2 seat formation then, as its the an old first choice boeing?

I'm not too worried about the view as I would rather make believe I'm not thousands of feet up in the air!!! However I have heard the views of the Maldivian islands are something not to be missed from up above, so maybe after 10hrs up there I may pluck up the courage to look out lol.

Darren - have read your flight reviews and they are really good - have calmed me, and reinforced that my decision in booking with Thomson airways was the right one! Really wish I could get over this damned fear of flying...........
kellyjordan22,

I take it the plane is a 2-3-2 seat formation then, as its the an old first choice boeing?

That's correct. All the information is on the What Aircraft? guide.

Really wish I could get over this damned fear of flying

We have a Fear Of Flying thread hat you might want to have a look through. There's plenty of useful tips on their. te most common reason for the fear is not being in control of the situation and not knowing what is going on through the flight, what all the little noises are etc. Although the fear of flying thread is quite long, there are some detailed answers to common questions (fears) provided.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.