General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
my mum and I just chat most of the time! We save weekly magazines for a month, use the seatback tvs, and this year, after 6 months of strict dieting, we'll be looking forward to the revel game!

Last year, we were in premium with my auntie; and we played charades, that was great fun!

I don't think people realise it's not just kids who get bored during flights! I'd like to hear others' advice :-)
I would prefer to sleep for most of it, but I can't usually manage that. Last time I took a Sudoku book and that whiled away an hour or two. I'm not one for watching films either, but watched a bit of a film just to pass the time. Sorry I don't have any decent suggestions.

luci :wave
What with all the feeding, duty free, more feeding, drinking etc watch a couple of the films, chat to someone in the next seat, have a kip and before you know it you're there. Don't forget to have a walk around to prevent those dvt's.
On a 12hour flight to Malaysia last year I took my MP3 player which had all my favourite tunes on it, I bought some noise cancelling headphones and the journey flew by. Only problem was that I had left spare batteries in my hand luggage in the overhead bins and it was a bit difficult finding them in the middle of the night.
When I was on a nine hour flight I watched the longest film they were showing, I think it lasted about 3 hours, read some mags and listened to my cd's. It was my first long haul and I was dreading it but I'm flying long haul again this year so the boredom certainly didn't put me off.
If your a quick reader like me you could also finish a book from start to finish and then pass it on to someone on the plane to read on their hols.

sam
Simple really - leave everything to the last minute, stay up all night packing and shoving in far more 'just in case' than you will ever actually need, rummaging for the passport that you know must be here somewhere, panicking because the 'safe place' you put the leftover travellers cheques from your last trip is so safe that you can't even remember where it is, dash out of the house and halfway to the airport remember that your toilet bag is still on the bathroom shelf, dash round Boots at the airport buying all the essential items that are in said toilet bag and hoping that nobody asks to weigh your hand luggage etc, etc. By the time you actually get on the plane you'll be so exhausted that you'll flop asleep even before the seat belt sign is turned off. Works for me every time :-)

SM
For such a long flight boredom can set in, try reading, watching tv, sleeping (no doubt you will have more than one meal on board), puzzle books are good too. Take some relaxing music to play as on board music always seems the same to me. Think of it as part of your holiday!! RELAX :lol:

Laura xx :)
Just a word of advice...don't kip too long in one go on the flight...I did and got a dvt. Won't catch me sleeping on a plane again.
I find it so hard to drop off to sleep on a plane :evil: , does any one / or would any one recommend staying up the night before for a 09.30am flight the next day ? this way i will be so tired by the time i get on the plane i am certain i will just drop off ! like to hear others views on this please :?:
I admit sleeping on a plane is not the easiest thing to do however I don't find it too bad being smallish, I just crumple myself up and hope for the best :shock: . Being a smoker I find trying to sleep as much as possible the easiest thing to do. I find really that the time passes fairly quick, I certainly don't find it much worse than say travelling to Cyprus. You get 2 meals which breaks up the flight, a walk about, a bit of reading and quite a lot of sleeping and you are there before you know it.

Certainly worth it for the pleasures at the other end :lol: :!:
does any one / or would any one recommend staying up the night before for a 09.30am flight the next day

I personally wouldn`t anymore. :wink:
I`ve stayed up all night on many occasions when we have been leaving for the airport in the early hours like 3 or 4 am.....I don`t normally go to bed before 1 am anyway.(retired)

This has achieved nothing, because I am too nosey, there`s too much noise and things happening on the aircraft, :oops: I fight the sleep and then I am soo tired by the time we arrive at the hotel, that I unpack and collapse in bed with a splitting headache.
The first day is wiped out, and it takes a few nights to get back into routine.....now I MAKE myself go to bed, probably 2 hours before I would normally go, get 4 or 5 hours sleep and I have found that I can remain awake on the first day of the holiday and get back into sync quicker.

It`s not good to sleep on planes :shock: ....a quick nap here and there is ok.

besos xxx
Sanji
It`s not good to sleep on planes ....a quick nap here and there is ok.

I would agree with that in as far as D.V.T is concerned. However, if you are flying Long Haul, Business or Executive Class with one of those reclining seats that transforms into a bed at the touch of a button, surely then its ok to sleep? Not that I'm ever going to get to experience such luxury :cry: on my short hops to Benidorm.
Did a round the world trip in business class a couple of years ago, 3 of the flights were overnight with two in flat beds, I slept for at least 8 hours on the first and 6 on the second, even the cradle seats were comfortable enough for stretching out and sleeping. This was the first time I had arrived at a long haul destination without being tired before. Unfortunately this was a one off. Far too expensive to afford it again, maybe I'll win the lottery then it will be business or even first class.
I get bored on a 2 hour flight to Spain!!! :)
It wouldn't be so bad if they just put the programes on the tv but we have to sit through Martin Clunes dressed as a woman and all other rubish before they put Only Fools and Horses on and then they have to cut it short because we are landing!
Bored on flights try Tapei/Hong Kong/Dubai /Doha,all in 1day,this in Buisness class is still a pain in the backside literally.Total time 19hrs.
To help me sleep on long haulflights, I have an inflatable pillow, eye mask and earplugs. Lord knows what I look like, but I can easily drop off for a short nap or two. :lol:

I read somewhere that a tissue with lavender oil dropped on is also a good relaxant - not tried it personally though.

In the past I've only had a book and crossword puzzle book to keep me occupied on long flights but since xmas I've become the proud owner of an ipod and a nintendo DS so that's bound to keep me boredom free on our flight to China in September! :D
adding to all the above, I also have a travel scrabble and a travel Yahtzee, 2 of the best items I have ever bought, keeps me and hubby going for hours.

why dont they have a few games of bingo on the flight!! listening via headphones and touch screen cards to mark numbers off, time would fly by them :lol: and imagine the prize money :shock: :lol: spends could be tken care of :P
Personal DVD players are pretty cheap now if you haven't got a seat back tv on your flight....that way you can watch your favourite films as long as you have a spare battery. My husband has to take his laptop with a dvd drive in it on holiday so we usually watch a couples of movies on the way if we haven't got seat back tv's. By the time you've had a drink, had some dinner, gone to the loo etc theres very little time left.
:wave Ozzie bird
I agree would that just be fab having a game of bingo on the plane.
After reading through this thread I attempt to 'nod off' but dare not go into deep sleep. I just imagine me with my mouth open and slobbering :oops: not as I do of course :shrug
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.