Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
goa vs. gambia
10 Posts
welcome to HT papistak- Parga, that is a place I've fancied going to. Can't help you with your comparison I'm afraid though :D
Parga is great, Fiona, I have been here for almost 20 years! Not really at liberty to say too much more because I am have 2 tourist businesses with the o/h here, and it would look like I was promoting my own cause!
But we have time for Parga...more pressing is my Goa/gambia comparison...perhaps there IS NO comparison, but I tell you, Goa looks like it might be too good to be true! What say ye????
I have been to Gambia twice and I can only say that after going to Goa for the first time, I will never return to Gambia. We venture out in to the country a lot and apart from the odd pack of dogs, have never felt threatened in Goa, this is not the case in the Gambia. The food, the prices and the people are all better in Goa. Please don't take my word for it, try them both and see for yourself.
Thanks for the info, sandyboy..anyone else want to comment?
visited gambia in november and think goa is by far the better place,the people are alot nicer,we were hassled on the beach so much,they wouldn't take no for an and became quite nasty.as to the quality and variity of the food there is no comparrison we.re off to goa next friday for the third time,can't wait,have only discovered this forum in the last week and have found it so helpful,i,ve been able to book for teeth whitening and now know where to go for my glasses happy holidays!
welcome to HT manxcat and I hope you have a lovely holiday! :D
Had 2 weeks in Gambia in January(our 1st time) and we are going back to Goa in 3 weeks time (for our 10th time). IMO the Gambians are more aggressive in their manner,more likely to get angry if you say anything that does not suit them and do not know the meaning of the word NO. I would go back to Gambia again,but only for a week as not enough to do for 2 weeks. Goa wins hands down every time (as you may have guessed).
definately goa walking out of the hotel in the gambia felt quite threatened saying that i thought the restaraunts were very nice also cheap the poverty i would say is about the same as goa
Been to Gambia 3 times, Feb 98, 99 and 2000. Very difficult to form a direct comparison as we are talking about 2 different continents.

Getting There

Flight time to Gambia is about 6 hrs and they are on GMT (no jet lag). Flight time to Goa is about 10 - 11 hours (feels like 2 days) and is 5 1/2 hours ahead of GMT so jet lag is a problem for most people.

Climate

Day time temps are similar but Gambia has very low humidity making it feel more comfortable. It can get quite cool on a night in Gambia, still warm on a night in Goa.

Food

Both places are fab for food but Goa wins here due to choice and value for money. I understand that there are a lot more eating places in Gambia these days but prices in Gambia tend to be closer to prices at home.

People

Here is where you will find the big difference. If the Gambian Government could solve the problem of the beach bumsters once and for all, this would be a huge step forward. Yes there are a few Gambians that will leave a negetive impression on you but most Gambians I found to be friendly and quite funny at times. The further away from the beach you get, the better the people are. The Goans are fantastic! Even the beach sellers leave you alone after a polite "no thanks".

Corruption

Gambia wins this one. India has got to be the most corrupt place on earth! I won't go on about it here but you will understand when I write my trip report.

Gambia 5/10 Goa 7/10, would i go back to Gambia, YES!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.