Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
wow- love the look of the Lanna Mantra. What a beautiful setting! I've never got to Chiang Mai yet as my holidays aren't at the ideal time- not too keen on going there in the summer. But I really would love to go. It does seem to be different from the rest of Thailand. Is there any similarity between it and Siem Reap??( without the huge temple complexes of course)
Hi Fiona,
I wouldn't say Siem Reap and Chiang Mai are similar. Siem Reap is a small town while Chiang Mai is a city, more like a small Bangkok but much more managable. Theres lots to see and do - perhaps more than Bangkok. Some great temples, hip restaurants and boutique hotels and great countryside. Quite chilly in the evenings and early mornings in the cool season.
Great report Sunbear and there's me thinking you was a lady :rofl

We are back to Phuket again in October, they will be sick of the sight of us. We never know one day we might even get to actually visit mainland Thailand... it sounds lovely.

Cheers Geri :cheers
Hi Sunbear,

Once again an interesting trip - you seem to have had a good time although the sprained ankle must have been unpleasant for Mrs S - always painful but with the state of the walkways in Thailand this must have been amplified. An interesting combination Khao LaK and Chiang Mai via KL. We too have considered KL for flights to Thailand, but still prefer EVA to MAS and we are not overkeen on KL for stopovers - although the last one was OK, save for the weather (I really must do a report on our September trip :really )Thanks for the update on your other post regarding current ATM charges. I've never been a fan of TCs but 150 baht seems an excessive overhead. We seem to be taking more and more in cash. You mention difficulties with £20 notes what denomination was acceptable? We normally take £50s to cut down the number/bulk of notes.

Just over 4 weeks to go to BKK/Krabi/Hua Hin so will try to be good and do a report!

Cheers

Peter
No gerib I've been a fellah all my life. Plenty of male sunbears you know. :) . Well maybe not, sunbears being endangered and all that. Going North is great - actually my favourite part of Thailand as there is so much to do, the climate (at least when we visit) is pleasant and the people are really friendly.

We've been via KL a couple of times recently. To be honest don't like Suvarnabhumi very much. Find KLIA to be a more relaxing airport for returning home - just get ourselves to the Satay Club in KLIA to chill and get some proper satay before the flight home. Also we got a deal with KLM this time which meant we could use our local airport half an hour away rather than trek to and from Heathrow. Saves quite a bit on petrol and bridge tolls, overnight hotel and parking charges. Not too much to do in KL though we nearly took a trip to Frasers Hill, but we got a nice five star for a reasonable price so were happy enough.

TC's were fine in Thailand but a real pain in Kuala Lumpur...took an age to get them changed at an RHB bank and other banks and exchange counters were not interested in taking them. However like the security of them, not keen on using cards in the region. The problem we had at Phuket airport changing 20 pound notes was due to the normal bank exchanges being closed, so the only option for exchange being a taxi counter who weren't interested in them. Got round the problem by using one of the many ATMs at the airport, as needed some baht as I knew the hotel we were going to was remote.

Pete - where you going in Krabi?
Hi Sunbear,

Sorry for the delay - very busy at present and don't logon that often!

In Krabi, we will be staying at the Sheraton, Klong Muang. It seems to be in a quiet location, but we don't know the area. We initially expected to stay at the Sofitel (we are staying at the Sofitel in Hua Hin, afterwards - which seems to meet with Fiona's approval!!), but it gets very mixed reviews on TA.

Any knowledge that you have of this area would be most welcome - especially must do's.

Cheers

Peter
Stayed in the Klong Muang area a couple of times, and have eaten at the Sheraton. It is a quieter area but there are a number of resturants and bars just outside the hotel. The beach is OK and when we were there they used to bring a little elephant out from the hotel to play in the sea. Its a good area to catch a long tail to visit the nearby islands which have the best beaches and snorkelling.

About 20 mins by taxi to Ao Nang for more bars restaurants and shopping. We quite enjoyed a trip to Tiger Cave temple which has spectacular views over Krabi and Phang-Nga bay but be warned its over 1200 steps some very steep. Railey Bay is worth a visit as it is a spectaclar setting. Most people do a few island hopping tours. Ko Hong is an easy long tail trip from your hotel with nice beaches, good snorkelling and a nature trail - take your own food though as no facilities. Sea Canoe (esp John Greys) is a great trip allowing you to snorkel and enter the hongs which have hollow jungle clad interiors.

Saw the Sofitel in Krabi being built, looked like it would be a nice hotel, but across the road from the beach which isnt that great. Fiona's right about the Sofitel in Hua Hin a very nice hotel. Had high tea there back in 94.
Thank you Subear - as usual very helpful.

We do prefer quieter locations (see below re the Anantara) so the bars and restaurants close to the Sheraton will, hopefully, be able to provide the low key evenings that we enjoy.

I am glad that you mentioned the steps at the Tiger Cave temple, I cannot see Janet climbing 1200 steps - probably 12 times too many! We do intend to take island trips - Ko Hong sounds good - does it get busy, or does the lack of facilities put people off? We really intend to just soak up the sights in Krabi, which is the longer and restful part of the holiday before going on to Hua Hin.

We normally stay at the Anantara, but thought that we would try being nearer the town (it can be a pain getting a Taxi or tuk-tuk and the Anantara has started to charge for their "courtesy" transport). We will only have 4 nights in Hua Hin and will be with an ex-work colleague who lives there, in the evenings. Being close to the town is a plus for the evening but the beach has always seemed rather too busy. If we had been going for more than 4 nights, I think that we would have returned to the Anantara for the location.

On our September trip via KL, we spent 4 nights at the Shangri-La. Couldn't be faulted (club room and yes, a copy of the book!). We also found an excellent Indian restaruant, just across from the American Embassy - Bombay Palace, great food, excellent service, reasonable price http://www.bombaypalacerestaurantkl.com/Location1.htm . If you like indian food, it really is worth a try, but you need to book.

We also tried the KLIA Ekspress VIP service from the airport to the hotel - very reasonably priced, very helpful, very efficient. For me it beats the airport limos or DIY via train and taxi. Would definitely pre-book on the web and use again.

Cheers

Peter
Not been to Koh Hong for about three years. We stayed a couple of times at the Krabi Sands a small bungalow resort between the Sheraton and Sofitel - as the hotel beach area was nothing special Ko Hong became our local beach, a ten minute ride on longtail. It is popular but due to our (and your) proximity we could arrange to be the first on the beach and pick best position. Its a stunning island so worth at least one trip. Look out for the hornbills in the cliffs.

We also would visit Tubkaak beach on the local bus...bit dusty as you pass through the cement works but a nice beach with great views. However that was a few years ago when only the Tubkaak hotel was there.

Ah the Anantara - stayed there when it was the Royal Garden Village, on our only stay in Hua Hin. Lovely gardens as I recall.
When we last visited Klong Muang there used to be a beach restaurant right next to the Sheraton along with simple massge facilities. The restaurant was quite good. Don't know if its still there.

You can check to see whats happened to the Andaman Beach resort, which was closing down the last time we visited. It was between the Sheraton and the Nakamanda in a prime beachfront position. The Nakamandas worth a look around a nice boutique hotel.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.