Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
kuala lumpur
53 Posts
Hi tracy 99,
a few suggestions. You could try the night market area of Chinatown. Or for a more twenty first century experience of Malaysia you could go to the KLCC area of the city, right by the Petronas Towers which look great at night, plenty or reataurants bars and shopping. Or you could have a meal at the KL towers revolving restaurant overlooking the city.

Or maybe head for the Bukit Bintang area which again has many restaurants, bars and shopping. Actually you could probably take in a couple of these places in an evening. best way to get around is by taxi. If your hotel has a conceirge its worth talking to them as they will be able to point you in the right direction.
I agree with everything Sunbear said. I was in KL a couple of weeks ago
and stayed on Bukit Bintang and ate at restaurants at the corner of Bukit Bintang and Sultan Ismail one was a very good cheap chinese,also there are some shopping malls in this area. Plus the shopping mall under the Petronas Twin Towers is huge and you can spend hours looking around.
I visited China Town on a previous visit, it can be very crowded but lots of bargains on the stalls and good cheap food stalls nearby.
thank-you,to both sunbear & judith!
i really fancy,visiting china town & definately the towers.
really looking forward,to it,now it,s nearly here!
thanks again,as i now know,where to head for.
tracy
For cheap electrical items, video games . dvd's etc I recommend Sungai Wang shopping centre at Bukit Bintang (I have found it cheaper than chinatown for most things).
thanks rickt!
one other question,should we be taking malaria tablets?
not sure if we took them,when we went to thailand & vietnam or not!
thanks tracy
The only time I have taken malarials in Malaysia was when I went up jungle to Taman Negara and to Sabah. Did not need them for Penang when we travelled.

Which hotel are you staying in KL?
thanks sunbear!
we are staying,at the swiss garden hotel,in KL.not sure what it's like,but it's only for 1 night,then we are off to the park royal,in penang.
counting down now :)
tracy
I will be going to Penang and KL next april and will be staying at the Park Royal in Penang please could you post a report on the hotel when you get back
will let you know rickt,no problem!
have heard it's quite nice,so fingers crossed
tracy
Rickt
I have stayed in the Park Royal in the past and remember hotel being really nice.I had a drink there in September this year when staying in Penang. It has been completely renovated and looks lovely, it has a beautiful pool. I wish I was back there now.
Tracy
Do you have any time at all during the day in KL or are you just there for the night. I managed to go up the twin towers this time, it was well worth a visit though you can only go halfway up. You have to be at the ticket office (it's free) early in the morning and they tell you what time you can go up. We went up about 1030am.
Swiss Garden's have a good reputation. Stayed at the one at Kuantan...it had good local food (some of the best I have had at a hotel in Malaysia)...maybe because the hotels are popular with people from Malaysia and Singapore so they don't tone it down.
hi judith!
we land at 4.30p.m,next monday & we fly to penang 6p.m,on tues.so we will have a few spare hours,on the tues.will be up early,as i can never sleep,my 1st night on holiday,always too excited!!!
will definately,visit the towers.

sunbear,that's nice to know,because,wasn't too sure about the,swiss garden,i didn't realise,it was a chain.

thanks for all your help
tracy
Any one got any hotel info for KL good and/or bad

I have stayed at Quality Hotel (avoid - the car park actually flooded out when we were there and we lost all electricity.).

Dorsett Regency (very very average, also very very busy at weekends because of local tourists coming into the city),

Istana (good location, service in the club floors was great but furnishing could do with rejuvination),

Shangri-La (excellent hotel, average location as inbetween KLCC and Bukit Bintang so you have a 10 minute walk to either),

Park Royal(very good hotel, great location right across the road from the Sungai Wang shopping centre)
I have stayed at the

Istana - reasonable hotel...reasonable location...a few years ago now so my comments really may not apply.

Ritz-Carlton....smart hotel with on old world club feel. Excellent service..very nice suites. Pool area a bit barren and overlooked. Well located for the Bukit Bintang area.

Sheraton Imperial...another smart hotel. Excellent suites and service. Quite a nice pool area. Location a little remote but easily remedied by a short taxi ride.

Mandarin Oriental...excellent hotel and location right next to Petronas Towers and links to Suria shopping centre. Best pool of the lot - an infinity pool with views over the park.

My advice for a hotel in KL is to go for a good one..they are often only a few pounds more a night then staying in a moderatly rated one so have a few nights of luxury.
Sunbear, I don't know how long it is since you stayed at the Sheraton, but we were there last year and there's now a monorail station right next door, so it no longer feels at all remote. I agree that it's a really nice hotel, especially the suites with a view of both the Petronas Towers and the KL Tower.
xenosuk.

It is a while since I was there...not even a hint of the monorail just the unfinished shopping mall outside...but it was a great hotel and the free upgrades we got...corner suite, access to executive lounge for snacks and drinks, free laundry and breakfast just made it so much better.
hi there

anybody have any information on bali am in bali at the moment also
am visiting kuala lumpur on the 24th december for 3 nights staying at the park royal will be there for christmas day anybody got any suggestions of where to eat?and also what we could do......then we are visiting penang for 7 days staying at the paradise sandy bay resort anybody got any suggestions for a good night out and must see attractions....any feedback would be much appreciated

thanks
louise :
In Kuala lumpur come out of the Park royal turn right (jalan sultan ismail)walk up to the traffic lights and cross the road then turn left (along bukit bintang) walk until you get to KFC (about 100 meteres up the road) then turn right and walk about 20 metres and you will be in a road filled with chinese restaurants and food stalls (most open in the evening and stay open until the early hours of the morning) they are all very cheap and the food is good.
Rickt

I think the road you're talking about is Jalan Alor. We had the best (and cheapest) meal of our holiday along there last year. The dishes came in small, medium and large portions, so we ordered lots of different small portions and it was all excellent.

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.