EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Moving to Bodrum
24 Posts
Just back from Bodrum. We are buying in Turkbuku on the northern side of the peninsula. Permission is not through yet, expecting it any day now. We went looking for furniture. A lot of furniture on the Ataturk Bulv. Konacik road near the Oasis shopping centre. We priced our white goods at Beko and Arcelik both opposite the shopping centre. A large fridge with small freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, t.v. satellite receiver, cooker and stereo system priced about 2000 euro, delivered installed with three year guarantee There were several furniture shops, Bellona, Istikibal, Tepe and Kelebek within walking distance along the road.
Kelebek gave us a price of 5500 euro for two single beds, one double and one super king, one 4 door wardrobe, one 2 door wardrobe, 2 dressing tables with mirrors and stools, 6 bedside lockers, a chest of drawers and two sofas. The bedroom furniture comes in a variety of finishes, there is a range of sofa materials to choose from. It takes 21 days for the furniture to arrive if you have a particular order. They have kept a list of our order and we can transfer money to pay for it when permission comes through. They will then deliver when requested. Haven't the website addresses but I think they are back in previos posts. If not a websearch should find them.
Happy shopping.
Hi Piperman, thanks for the great info - know where the Oasis Shopping Centre is so great to know the shops are all fairly close. Many thanks for the tips on prices. Have checked some of the websites but prices are a nonentity. Cheers Caz
Hi Caz

We bought a property down the road from you in Gumusluk last October. We found a couple of furniture shops in Turgetries that were reasonable value and even ending up delivering at midnight as we were going home early the next day.

If you are prepared to wait a little while a tip could be to find the furniture you like in magazines and go into one of the many wood workers shops who will make it for you.

White goods we purchased from Metro (Makro) just ask for day pass
http://www.metro-tr.com/metro.cfm?sayfa=Metro_Post

Kos tas (B&Q) are also worth a look, they have a good offer on air conditioning at the moment, my parents got 4 7000btu's installed for about £100 each
http://www.koctas.com.tr/catalog/

Both just up the road from the Oasis centre

Hope this helps, good luck
Hi Gummus,

thanks for the tips - have visited the Metro and Koscas sites on line - seen a good starter. Perhaps take your advice on furniture when we finally move out there - plan to rent to start with.

Once again, many thanks for your help. Caz.
Hi everyone. I am quite new to the site. I found it very nice and need some ideas.

I have got an villa type house in Yalikavak/Bodrum and would like to sell it without estate agencies.

I dont know what to do??

By the way, I am wondering if this site could be the place to contact people looking for Bodrum houses???

Thanks
Can
Can, you're allowed to advertise property sales in this section of the forum........

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=63

Whether or not you can sell it without using an estate agent, I would have my doubts. If there's an English newspaper over there, you could try that.
Thanks bawbee
I didnt know this anyway. thanks for it.

i dont really have any idea how people look for a house in Turkey particularly in Bodrum.
I dont think that they can solely search on the net estate agencies and trust them.
By the way it would be greate if you know specific forum for this or anywhere.

Thanks
Hi Can

There is a site for private sales:

http://www.viviun.com

Regards
Olya
Hi Gummus

We have also bought in Gumusluk, on Gumsan II

Thanks for the info on furniture. We go over on 5th June to get the keys (hopefully)

Olya
Hi gummas how do you apply for daily pass we were in that metro tried to apply could not get them to understand us luckily we met a turkish friend and we used his card :oops:
If you take your passport they will understand that you need a daily pass, and will give you a small printout to show at the till.
Hi Olya / winkey

Just got back this morning from a week in Gumusluk (only decided to go last Tuesday afternoon, and got some last minute flights)

You can get a day pass at Metro by just asking for one at reception desk and putting down your address or telephone number. I was asked the other day for my passport when paying by card but still able to pay when I did not have it. (can be worth carrying a photo copy of your passport)

Had a meal last night in the restaurant on Gumsan 1 by the new aparthotel, and can recomend both quality and value.

Hope it all goes well for you both
hello Olya,we also go on 5/6,and hopefully we also will be picking up our keys,will be staying in Turgetreis so it will be handy to check out the afore mentioned shops,also the woodwork shops about 2 miles outside the town.
c.p.
Hi
So we will be out there together then. We are using Goldtrail, not terribly keen on them, there admin is nothing to shout about, but flight is cheap enough, £139 return.

Turgetreis Geoff has been to, but I have not seen it yet, looking forward to it.

Info on the shops is excellent. We have our shopping list handy, and we want to furnish the whole place. We dont have a lot of time though, 7 days to get the keys, sort out the villa and everything!!! :oops:

Also got to source someone to look after our place when we are not there, we could also do with a cleanning lady and that sort of stuff, so we will be busy I think :( :lol:

But we are both really looking forward to it now, only a few days to go

Best wishes
Geoff and Olya
O.lya,we are also going with goldtrail on Sunday,I HOPE,still waiting for tickets,we have travelled with them 6 times to Bodrum and Dalaman and never had any problems,this time,like last in April,is with Monarch and if you accept that its not first or business class you wont be dissapointed,too many people expect the higest service for the lowest price.We also have bought in the Gumusluk area 4k from Yalikavak, 3k from Gumusluk.
C.P.
Hi Couch potato

I think we may be there at the same time then!!
We go from Gatwick 2355 (Midnight) on Sunday 5th arrive Bodrum early Monday morning, flying with Monarch 1958
Olya
Hi Olya & Geoff

Not long now !!!!!

A couple of tips you may find useful

Get your UK mobile un-locked, buy a sim card from a "Turkcell" shop, you then have a Turkish number (very useful)

Anyone can phone you from the UK for 8p per minute via telesavers just get them to dial 0871 5515252 tukish mobile then #. This is much cheaper than them phoning on your UK mobile number

Print out address labels with your name, address and telephone number, can be useful to give out when wanting goods delivered

Check items work carefully as getting it sorted out once you have paid is much more difficult. We had a nightmare with an air con unit.

If you want air conditioning buy from Kos Tas, they have an excellent offer on at the moment and will also arrange installation for 60YTL (£24) per unit.

Buy a large 15L water bottle, cost about 10YTL for the first one then a van will come around sounding like an ice cream van with refills for 2YTl (80 pence) Go to Aygas in Gumusluk village. You can also buy a little hand pump that fits on the top in many shops.

Carry a copy of your passport

Check out your sites caretaker for cleaning etc ( his wife will usually provide service, and could cause offence if you go elsewhere)

If you eat in the fish restaurants in Gumusluk, make sure and agree a price up front for fish or items not on the menu, as they can sometimes be over priced.

On the dolmus ask for "Gumus Karya" when getting on, occasionally you may have to change at Gumusluk bay when coming from bodrum or Turgetreis.

As you are only there for 7 days, you may need to look for furniture ASAP as much of it is made to order or has to come from izmir. We were only there for the same duration and it was amazing how the prospect of an order made the delivery times reduce to fit our timescale (even delivering furniture at midnight before we left)

Most of all enjoy a fantastic place
Also

We flew with goldtrail (Freebird airlines) and they were very good, reasonable leg room and friendly staff, but no on flight entertainment. Using them again in August.

Bodrum airport prices are ridiculously expensive for anything other than duty frees so take snacks for the way home. (9 euros for a coffee)

Duty free is also available on entry to Turkey so stock on ciggies at £12 for 200 and spirits which are expensive in Bodrum.
Hi
Thanks for all the info.
Will make like a lot easier!! :lol: :lol: :P

Really looking forward to it now, we have shopping list, and things to do list

Olya
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.