Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi steve here,
Please could you advice on any vegy restraunts we will be staying at the capo bay hotel june, first time to cyprus. This is our first time without the kids grown up now you see ah! at last. Would you book now for september or do you think we should leave it until later? We hope to go again in september dont know yet i have been reading all the discussions it sounds great in protaras cant wait.
thanks for any replies in advance steve
I've never been to Protaras (will do next week! hehe) but, if it was me, I would book sooner than later. Last time we went in oct, it was hard getting bookings exactly where we wanted to go.
Don't think there are any veggie restaurants in Protaras but they are always really helpful and will certainly sort you out.
Do you eat fish at all? if you do you will be spoilt so for choice.
We stayed in Pernerra, Protarus last summer.We are all veggie,and managed to eat in most places. All had one or two veg choices at least. Our favourite was the Indian restaurant which had lots to choose from.
Cat
The place to eat in town has to be Nicolas Tavern, a traditional Greek Cypriot taverna. The kleftico melts in your mouth. Also worth eating at is No 1 Restaurant.

Nicolas Tavern is an absolute must to eat out at. Even if on full board, all-inclusive, take one night out at Nicolas Tavern.

The kleftico is to die for. Very succulent and tasty, the lamb melts in your mouth. Whether it is the lamb they select or the long slow cooking in the traditional wood-fired clay oven, the results are perfection.

Also very good are the steaks and the grilled swordfish.

Nicolas Tavern is a culinary experience not to be missed.

No 1 Restaurant, in the centre of Protaras, is also a good place to eat. Try their pancakes in the middle of the afternoon.

No 1 Restaurant and Nicolas Tavern are also quiet places to drink.

All the other bars are very noisy. Do we really want drunk karaoke singers or the mindless US sitcom Friends?

Almost every bar, even hotels are getting in on the act, has an Elvis wannabe. All are absolute crap. The one exception being the 'Elvis' at the Love Boat in the centre of Protaras. The Love Boat also has a very good 'Tom Jones'. The Love Boat also has a Kyle wannabe, if as good as 'Elvis' and 'Tom Jones', then probably worth seeing. As too is the hypnotist.

Bars worth visiting are the Love Boat and Rockafellas. The coolest bar in town is the Sfinx Bar at the Paralimni end of Protaras.

Two bars to avoid are Bells and the Ghetto Bar. Both are dumps and attract undesirable elements into Protaras. Whilst other bars are good neighbours and turn down their music at midnight, and off at 1am, these two crap bars cause sleepless nights for nearby hotels. When the music finally stops, the noise continues from the drunken yobs who visit these two bars.

There are three nightclubs in Protaras, or there were three, one always seems to be closed - Q Club and Boogies. Boogies is the better of the two.

http://www.heureka.clara.net/sunrise/protaras.htm
Couldn't agree with you more Keith the food at Nicolas Taverna is authentic Cypriot food and the kleftico is to die for,I think its cooked for hours making it sooooo tender,also the pork stew is just as good.Infact everything on the menu is delicious.
We are due in Protars on the 19th and should arrive into the resort by about 5pm,so it will be a quick unpack,then into Fools and Horse for a few keo's then onto Nicholas's for some calamari and then the kleftico!.......
yummy!!! can't wait
Afternoon All

So many people talking about the food in Nicolas's Tavern must be good. Any ideas of average prices per head adult and children we taking 4 kids so i want good food and resonable prices - not forgetting the wine though!!!!!.

Thanks all

Sylvie
Sylvie,we normally pay about £24cyp for the two of us,starter,main,couple bottles of wine and a sweet between us.Not too sure how much for 4.the portions are massive though!
Hi All

Heard a lot of people mention this place will definately be trying it out, the prices don't seem too bad at all - Does anyone know if they do a kids menu?

The kids are a bit fussy as are all kids!!! :roll:

Thanks Tracy.
Depends what you have to eat, but around Cy£5 each!

You will not regret it. The food is excellent.
I will have try Nicolas Tavern sounds very good, my favourite has to be Diva's food is excellent especially the Halloumi!
try these restaurants - anatolia- excellent food good service good set menus- rocks- excellent food excellent service and if you have a car - faliros in kapparis
Prices at Nicolas Tavern

A sample of the prices at Nicolas Tavern .....

soup Cy£1-95

kleftico Cy£6-45
ttavas Cy£6-45
souvla Cy£5-95
pork chops Cy£5-25
sword fish Cy£6-75
steak Cy£9-25

house wine Cy£6-25 per carafe

To drink try the local lager, Keo. Local cocktail, brandy sour.

Many of the wines are from small local family vineyards. Some are even organic, or as described in Cyprus, ecological.

http://www.heureka.clara.net/sunrise/nicolas-tavern.htm
hi everyone just got back today.
the best restaraunt we found for quality and value was the anatolia this is 100m from the sfinx bar on the pernera road you have to que for a table if you go between 8 to 9 pm always solid and regular customers great with kids and the ladies get a rose when they leave the restaraunt. try this restaraunt you won't be sorry prices range from 3.50 to 9.00 depending what you want, about 8 set three course menus to choose from,
willy
Rice,jacket,chips? :lol:
Yes, Nicolas Tavern does a kids menu .....

Micky Mouse (egg, bacon, sausage and chips)
Burger with chips
Fried meat balls with chips or spaghetti
Kalamari
Pizza .......

Alternatively, ask for a small portion of main course for kids, or an extra plate and share some of your own. The portions are huge!

The place for Cypriot families to eat, especially weekends, is No 1 Restaurant in the centre of Protaras.

Anatolia is ok, but not a patch on Nicolas Tavern. Nor does Nicolas Tavern have to resort to gimmicks such as giving out roses. A nice touch, but a gimmick all the same.

The Sfinx Bar is worth a visit, not so much for the food as a cool place to go for a drink. Surreal Egyptian surroundings, and quite good music.

For first class cypriot food on a budget try Flokkas taverna just along from Flintstones pub walking toward perena end . It does not look much from the outside but food and service is first class and also very , very reasonable . Meal for 2 with drinks for £10 cypriot and local dishes were the best we tasted .
Noufaro in Pernera gave free bottles of wine with the meals (meals from about 5Cy£ to 10Cy£) which made for a cheap night if you like a drink. The food was excellent (we had no complaints), they even did a meze between two of us at lunch time, which they don't normally do as it takes a while to prepare, but we had free wine so we could wait... lol

http://www.askcy.com/cyprus/021noufaro.jpg
People in Protaras are spoilt for choice for good food. The food in the hotels is good, there are many good restaurants.

Nicolas Tavern is though in a class all of its own.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.