EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
go into Izmir and spend a day looking around. Always buy stuff that have a guarantee, that rules out Shov and Sinbo!!!
White goods can be bought at Kartal - Ticaret in Didim town centre.we trawled every place in Altinkum,Didim and Soke.We got fridge freezer,tv,washer,dvd,toaster,kettle (you can haggle the toaster& kettle free),dishwasher from there. They have offers at supermarkets for irons,hairdryers and small electrical goods. The mans name at Kartel is Ibrahim.
We went last September to furnish our apartment. The curtains were got from a place called Tac Perde on the same side street as the Kartal Electrical Place.We went to Soke for furnishings but not a lot there. we could have bought in didim and prices were not much different. If you need any help or questions, have a drink at the Toy bar and speak to Billy.He is fluent english and a lovely man. He took us to a solicitor and got us in touch with a translator, also took us to an insurance company.He also does transfers from airport, can arrange cleaning or generally keep your apartment aired etc. You can really trust him. we have and friends of ours have too.Anything you need to know, doctor, clinic etc. he can help.We also got bedroom furniture from next door to Tac Perde.The satellite dish and box was across the road from them.So in all, we got everything from didim except settees, which we could have got for same price as Soke. We are looking forward to going soon although i have a suitcase full already, of bits and bobs. There is a one million shop in didim, like our pound shop. we got a lot of useful stuff from there. grater, mugs, cookward etc. If you want to know anything and we can help, post it on here. I'm not very good with computers so dont sent a private message, i might never find it, ha ha
thanks franny . what sort of prices can we expect to pay for eg tv sat washer cooker fridge/freezer furniture and if we went over and bought how long does it take for delivery and instillation as we have nothing in our villa at the moment we was thinking of going over in may and getting everything then been quoted £7300.00 to fully furnish (everything) our three bedroom villa with estate agent thought this was expensive what do you think?
Hi that sounds a lot for furnishing. Here's some info which may help...

http://www.arcelik.com.tr/english/
For white goods. At least you can get an idea of what you're getting for your money. We went to the Arcelik shop in Didim, it's on a corner but you can't miss it. The owner is Mr Gursoy and the delivery was spot on. His wife runs the Jewelers in the Altinkum shopping centre near the roundabout.

Curtains - come out of the Arcelik shop and turn down the side road & it's on your left. They have a guy that speaks english (he also works as a rep for Thomas Cook), They fit too and again were good. We paid about £700 - for 7 cutains with blackouts, 2 blinds & tiebacks (already had poles). Excellent service.

We bought our sofa through Goldensun - it's an Alfemo one. Sue was very helpful. They also do other bits.
http://www.alfemo.com/
http://www.goldensunhomes.com/

We bought our other furniture from Kelebek, in Bodrum. The service was excellent - I did everything from here. I have a fax/tel no & contact if you go down that route.
http://www.kelebek.com/en/default2.asp
When we went to Bodrum for the day, we went to the shop. It's out of the town (short taxi ride) and there are several others out there too.

Looked at these ones, but didn't buy from them.
http://www.bellona.com.tr/default1.asp
http://www.istikbal.com.tr/sourcedesign/ISTIKBAL.asp?web_id=istikbal&sayfa_id=
I think they have shops on the main road to Didim.

Insurance - we got through the Oracle. Well they took us to the office and we dealt with them direct. A bit hard when the agent left us & no translator was there ! We paid more than we thought we would, but at least we're covered. We're going to look around in the UK, quite a few places offer it now with that many brits buying abroad.

Hope this is helpful.

Nik
http://www.turkishprivatevillas.co.uk/
Wow! How Much!!

That is way over the odds.
I have a 3 storey villa with 4 beds and had plenty of change left of £3000.

That included absolutely everything, even voile pleated nets and pleated heavies and tracks and fitting. All my white goods, 4 single beds, 1 double bedand warbrodes,2 sofas, tv, sat, dvd , dining table, 2 patio tables and chairs Even the cups, cutlery etc. Bear in mind though that i did not buy top quality as afterall it is just a holiday home, but i am more than happy with it.
Be careful when shopping, and dont part with the balance until you have received everything and you are happy.
Best Wishes
Lorraine
Just got out paperwork.Fridg/freezer,washing machine,dishwasher,extractor fan,cooker and microwave was £919 with a kettle and toaster thrown in.Coffee table £25.Dining table (chrome with glass top)4 chairs £140.patio set (big rectangular table and 4 chairs)and pillows for bedrooms £65.TV,DVDplayer & stand, satellite and dish cost £600.Insurance for 3 bed apartment was 128 for earthquake cover, building and contents.Bedroom suite - king size,triple wardrobe,dressing table and bedside cabinets £490.2single beds,wardrobe and drawers £420.
The electrical goods were in the top category and not the cheapest make.Air conditioning for 130sq metres was £800.You will not believe how quickly they aim to deliver.some items were delivered the same day we chose them,bedroom furniture were got within days.we paid a deposit on goods at each place we shopped and the rest was given in cash when it came.the lads had a problem with a signal for satellite. they were with us from 4.30pm till 11.pm trying to get at the problem.as it turned out the cable fed through the wall on building was faulty.they were all smiles.the curtain lad took us back to the apartment with rolls of stuff we chose for curtains and measured the windows.we chose the colours and he took us back to didim to carry on shopping for other stuff.the curtains came 2 days later and he fixed them in 1/2hr.he helped his mum in the shop although he was at university.It all was a pleasant experience.our builder had originally told us to go to a lot of these places and we still tried to source prices everywhere else and came back to the original shops.Whicker seems expensive out there, dont know why.just be careful how they deliver your settees.we laughed in the end but ours and friends came on an open topped lorry from Sok'e the same day we had chosen them.it was like a dustbowl in the valley where they are continually building. the settees and chairs were filthy.we had to go get vanish to clean them up but we still laugh about it now.Just watch some satellite sellers in tv shops. one told us we could get absolutely all channels.we took our builder back with us and he backed down and said he handnt said it. the builder took us to people who he dealt with.
Bom66 - forgot to say that all white goods came with printed guarantees.we also got guarantees for furniture.we have a drawer full in Altinkum.You should be able to go out there and get it done within the first week and use your second week for general shopping (plates,pans cups etc. on didim market on saturday) and any delivery of stuff that was on order.Buy a loyalty card at the Supermarkets for about £1 and it saves each time you go shopping as they sell small electrical goods.we are taking lamps with us.they are expensive for what they are in altinkum and not very modern looking.
Hi, thanks for the very useful posting above my wife son and i go out to altinkum to golden park soon and are going to furnish it so it is so helpful to read shop names and actual prices of goods and what to pay as we have been worried about the cost as we have heard so many conflicting storys,we are just furnishing our one bed room apartment and are not sure wether to do it ourselves or with oracle who will no doubt be on commision,what would you recomend for peace of mind etc.Hope to hear from you soon,all the best,Simon. 8)
Migros in Bodrum sells white goods and it might be worth looking in the supermarkets for these types of things. The only thing is that you can't haggle in there.

Would suggest you buy as much as possible from one shop and then get the price down to what you think you should pay for them. Turkey does seem to be more expensive than the UK when it comes to electrical equipment, but they do deliver immediately (sometimes arriving at the house before you do!).
Personally i think it would be best to buy the goods yourself.you can see what the quality is like.their tv's etc. are like ours, there are so many makes and qualities. we chose goods made by arcelik which are supposed to be good quality.the guarantees are the same as ours.also, why bother to go too far afield for goods and furniture when they are in the town itself and can be delivered that day or not long after. we looked at most shops before we went back to buy. if you buy electrics from one shop, try and ask for money off or if not, ask him to throw in an iron,kettle or toaster.a lot of goods bought by us and friends too, were the goods in the shop, dining table etc. when they are removed from the shop, they fill the space with something else, so be aware that you will get those goods and not one in the storeroom. check its ok. furnishings (settees )etc. are priced according to the quality, so its what you want to pay for and what you like.Take a notebook and write the prices and colours etc.down and describe the shop and street.its surprising how you forget where you went looking for things.Good luck.By the way, bodrum marmaris are places where property is more expensive than altinkum, so one would expect their furnishings to be dearer too.
Hi, Just back from Altinkum where we bought a place. We have yet to furnish it but the only advice i would give is sort it yourself and not through an estate agent and especially not Goldensun Homes! Just had a really bad experience with them and suffice to say i would nt buy a watch from them.!
Hello Tibbs
We have bought and are yet to furnish.We bought through Goldensun like you and were looking at there furnishing.Can you tell me the sort of problems you had with them so we can hopefully avoid it please.
Thanks
Sue
I am in the process of purchasing a property in Altinkum and was interested to read you had purchased your furnishings and fittings for your Villa for less than £3000 could be plaese advise me the name of the store in which these items were purchased? Cheers
Can anyone Please advise me costs of tranfers from Bodrum to Altinkum and any suggestions of low cost options?? cheers
The general on importing white goods and other electrical appliances is don't. The duty customs will charge is very high.

Beko and Arcelik are the main Turkish brands and are reliable. All of thier goods come with a three year garauntee you will also get a garauntee from the spot shops. The supermarkets also give the manufacturers garauntee.

Spot shops do not deliver but delivery from the others is very good. We have found after sales service also very good.
Hi. Bodrum to Altinkum by taxi is about £40 one way.Tibbs.
best company to insure with and idea of cost for a 2 bedroomed appartment and a four bedroomed villa with pool require both building and content insurance
re have read on the forum various prices for transfers but odviously need someone safe and reliable any recommendations bodrum to altinkum
does any one know of a reliable cleaner also general maintenance and the rates of pay

pool cleaning also
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.