UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi

It's a shame people discriminate against certain breeds :?

I used to work with dogs, firstly at a boarding kennels, then for the Dogs Trust (formerly the National Canine Defence League).

I've only been bitten once, by a retriever.

Rottweilers are quite clearly not one of the breeds the Government put tight restrictions on, there are very few breeds which fall into that category.

I lay the blame for people's perception of breeds such as rottweilers, german shepherds, dobermans etc, at the door of the press.

Any dog can bite, but it's only news if it's a breed such as those above.

I've added a couple of links for you, one about the Dangerous Dogs Act, and one which hopefully may help you find a cottage for you and your pooch!

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/main.asp?structureid=675

http://www.chooseacottage.co.uk/partners/DGP/index.asp

Philippa
:D
I hope you manage to find somewhere, we have a staffordshire bull terrier who is totally loving and totally mad at times! However we do have problems booking cottages - when you say stafford they usually say about their fighting history, most places have allowed him in and the owners make a fuss of him! We always tidy up after him and take old throws for the sofas/beds. We have to book one with a totally enclosed garden as our dog has a lack of road sense and would be off exploring without us if he had the chance!

It is unfair how people judge certain breeds, ours has never caused any trouble, have more problems with certain nippy terriers that live nearby!

We have used country cottages and welcome cottages before no problems, might be worth ringing the tourist board down in Cornwall see if they can help with a list of cottages to try.

Alison :D
even though we haven't got a dog we nearly always seem to go with welcome cottages. they advertise the fact that your pet dogs are welcome! have you tried this company? medot.x
Hi there

Firstly many many thanks for your replies, especially Pippy - The Dogs Trust page most informative.

Luckly since posting I have found somewhere who is more than happy to take me and my dog and any other animal come to that!!!!

I found them by chance and they gladly accept all animals, dogs, cats, horses. They are Boturnells Farm in St Pinnock (not far from Liskeard). The owner was very helpful so we are all booked. For your information here is the website as other animal lovers may find it useful.
http://www.dogs-holiday.co.uk.

Many thanks
Marion
maybe when they ask what breed he is, you could say mongrel :?:

i'm sure they are only really interested in what size the dog will be, and as you say they are pre-judging him on stereotypes.

our jrt is a battersea fellow too :)
I did a little experiment (a bit naughty).

Last week I telephoned someone in Cornwall who was offering holiday accommodation where pets were allowed.

I told the lady what my requirements were, i.e dates etc and said that I had a dog. She asked what type of dog was it and when I said a rottweiler she said that she had nothing available for the dates I requested. Okay fair enough I thought.

I was a bit miffed because according to their website they had availability!

I then got a friend to telephone and ask for the same dates but taking a Jack Russell - Guess what they had availability!!!! My friend phoned about 3/4 hour later than I had so I find it difficult to believe that they suddenly had availability.

Not really fair is it!!!! :cry:
I'd have been really naffed off at the fact the woman told you a blatant lie, she should have been honest and said she wasn't keen on allowing that breed.

I still think it's terribly unfair.
Hi we are thinking about having a long weekend break, but taking the dog and teenagers with us. While the teenagers aren't a problem a lot of places do not welcome German shepherds. If anybody knows of such a place ie chalets or caravans well situated with nice views, would love to hear about them. I've found one or two in cornwall, but that is a bit far for us to travel for the weekend, as were based in the north.
Cheers bellana.
Hi Bellana, based in the North eh, i live in Leeds. :D Im sure if you search the web, say with a good search engine like Dogpile, you could narrow your search down to the area you prefer, say Cornwall, Newquay.........then type in "dogs allowed on campsites".....im sure this would cut down your search considerably. :wink: :) Hope ive been a little helpful there. :oops:
There used to be a book called Pets Welcome - I know we used it a few times - covers all of UK.
Hi

You might find THIS useful.

Pippy :D
have stayed at this beautiful farm house in Derbyshire twice and each time took 3 large dogs! Very dog friendly place - big garden for them to run in, loads of nice walks nearby

http://www.field-head.co.uk/framespage.htm
thanks for the responses guys, have checked them out and not found anything suitable. We've decided to abandon kids and dog and go look at lights in blackpool for a couple of nights. The couple of places we phoned were quite negative about german shepherds, which is often the case,bad reputation. Didn't try the one in derby as we wanted a sea side venue, about the only thing available was the lowest of haven caravans, and they seem to charge as much for the dog, as they do for kids.
So my sweet but silly GS dog is going in kennels for a couple of days, and kids are at school, and were are going to get some fish and chips at the seaside.
Cheers for trying, Bellana.
try here... my mum manages these cottages

Gorgeous area.

http://www.harbourrow.co.uk
How about Center Parcs, all apart from Oasis take dogs (in a dog villa) there will be lodas for the kids to do as well
I know of a great cottage in Kirkbymoorside in Yorkshire that takes dogs - any breed. Our staffie was fine there.

Let me know if you need the info :D

Alison
Hi everyone

Have recently acquired a new addition to the family by the name of Milly, a 10 week old golden lab.

My question is can anyone recommend any dog friendly accommodation, preferably Lakes. Cumbria or Wales district for a weeks holiday next summer. Accommodation must be two bedroomed as have two children (8 & 9), ideally having something to occupy the children nearby i.e. not out in the middle of nowhere. A lot to ask I know but heres hoping

Thanks for your help

Ali x
Thanks Mixter for your reply.

It does look a really lovely place to stay and I think I mislead everyone when I said not in the middle of nowhere. We do enjoy being quite remote, provided the accommodation is within a reasonable driving distance of villages, towns, places of interest etc.

Any more details you can provide re this accommodation would be great

Thanks again

Ali
I've just got back from a week in the Isle of Wight with my husband & two (small) dogs where we rented a lovely cottage and we are looking to book somewhere else later on in the year - as most beaches don't allow dogs from May - September we're looking at going in October so hubby was thinking of the Channel Islands or the Isle of Scilly in the hope that they would be warmer and I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for decent websites etc
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.