EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi Sue

I don't think we've got too many people on this forum from NZ.

Try here...........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83
Sue,

We went to NZ last year and stayed in Auckland a few days.

The impression I got was of a very safe country with friendly people who take great pride in their surroundings. The weather was pretty poor whilst we were there but it did not stop us enjoying the holiday. One thing that is predominant is the amount of time people seem to spend on the water -- you are surrounded by it and many people travel to work in Auckland by ferry.

Funny thing is that one of my mates is currently looking at moving there as he too is in the prison service. I believe his interview is this month.

Good luck - go for it - you will love it compared to the UK.

Stoop

ps -- my 21 year old son went there for 3 months last year and would go back tomorrow. He loved the slow pace of the life and laid back atmosphere. Some of the pictures he brought back were breathtaking.
Hi Stoop

Thanks so much for replying.

This along with research on life in NZ has put my mind at rest a little more. If mu Husband is lucky and gets the job, then I think we would be mad not to give it a try. From what you have said about the country it very much says the same on the research sites. Still a big step though.

Thanks once again

Suzanne

Ps will keep this site posted with the interview outcome!!
I really envy you.
I went to NZ on holiday a couple of years ago and fell in love with the place, the people are really friendly and helpful and the scenery is really beautiful. Life is a lot slower and with such a small population there are loads of uncrowded roads and towns, though Auckland is a large modern city.
I looked into emigrating but as a retired person I am too old to be accepted.
Go for it I don't think you will regret the move.
Sue,
Have been for interview, Northlands is fully staffed. Still sounds worth going for. Contact me for more info. Tony
Hi Tony

What happened at the interview?

My husbands is on 27 May.

Take a look at the link made by bawbee and access the thread saying. Going to New Zealand very soon (something like that). The comments regarding the low salary, cost of living in NZ and price of houses are worrying. Seriously re-considering, but would love to hear your comments seeing as you've been to interview and heard things first hand. On the thread people who live in NZ say as many as nine out of ten are seeking to leave the NZ corrections department due to low salary ($36000) and not very good sick, holiday package.

would be gratefulk if you could let us know what the interview was like.

Regards

Suzanne
Hi Sue,
I went for the interview last month,(April), and found Northlands was full. They guided me towards Wakerai near Hamilton. the wage is not the best, (36,999 after training, then increments upon completion of courses after that, but not annually). The house prices depend on the exchange rate but start at about $60,000, (£30,000 is about $75,000 if exchange rate is 2.5 $ to the £ but check it). Quality of life is what is important to me, but the beauty is if the job is rubbish you only have to work 3 months to get 2.5 years residancey, (for Citizenship it is now 5 years so you may have to apply for another visa which I am checking into). The sickness side is not brilliant but if it is an accident or assault at work I hear it is ongoing. The Pension is Private which is not as good. The Holidays are 15 days, (3 weeks apparently!!), but are going to 4 weeks next year, (plus 10 days bank holidays). If I can help any more then ask your husband to contact me on the intranet, at F.S. Good luck to both of you Tony
I am a New Zealander and would not choose to live in NZ. The salaries low compared to northern european countries, food is now very expensive compared to UK and it is so far away. On a normal salary most people cannot travel to Europe - maybe once in a lifetime. I choose to live in the UK and Spain. NZ is a wonderful holiday destination, beautiful country, nice people etc but take care to settle if you are from Europe. No tripping back for a couple of weeks!
Hi Nada,
I am glad to hear from someone who has lived in New Zealand and am curious as to why you left, also is the cost of living as expensive there as it is here? Obviously the wages are less so if I was on £20,000 in England what sort of wage would equal that in New Zealand?
My in-laws moved to Zealand in November 1993. My father in law lovesi t as he is the outdoorsy type. My mother in law wants to come home. She is very homesick. They live on South Island in a small town, which I think is probably too quiet and remote for someone who used to live just outside London. They cant afford to come here for a visit as they dont earn enough to afford the travel and all the money is tyed up in the house they own. but on the flipside a friend of mine went to live in South Island in 1997 with her husband and two kids and loves it out there. She visits and will never move back here. New Zealand is her home now. So I think ii is what you will make of it as an individual
To live a 'good life' you will need a salary of in New Zealand $60-100,000 per annum. I think for a salary of £UK 20.000 you will equate to $30-35,000 dollars. I am not fully sure about this but you need to do your homework. A normal/cheap house in a reasonable town (not Auckland) will cost you around $200,000 - 250,000. People in New Zealand live on cheap food eg stewed mince, sausages ( terrible compared to UK sausages!!!). There is not the variety of fruit and vegetables because of very limited imports. Fish is now very expensive and most families do not eat it. It is very cold in the south island. Central heating is rare and you will freeze in the winter everywhere. Bar heaters are the norm!!
You will not get the variety of say ethnic foods and takeaways are very expensive. That being said the scenery is spectacular and tramping is free, beaches are free and swimming is free!!
I know many people who have come back to the UK and a few who have stayed.
Thanks Nada,
What you have told me is great,I'm going to the North Island which I hear is a bit warmer and will be on about $35,000 to start with. If yourself or anyone can give me any info or tips it would be greatly appreiciated.
Tony
I think Nada got her sums wrong, £20,000.00 is approx $51,000.00 at todays rate of exchange. I had an entended stay in NZa couple of years ago. I noticed that the supermarkets were well stocked with familiar and unfamiliar brands of foods plus lots of different varieties of fruit. Petrol is also cheaper than the UK.
The North Island is warmer than the South, the South Island has a climate
similar to the UK. The scenery is fantastic and the long uncrowded beaches a dream. Property apart from the large towns is much cheaper than the Uk.
To me there is no contest between NZ and the UK,given the chance I would move over there tomorrow.
Over the last 30 years I have known many people who have emigrated, not one has come back. Of course most people get homesick (Ihave lived abroad for many years and remember what it was like at first) but after the first few months with new friends and experiences it will begin to feel like home.
I never ate sausages or mince when I was there.
Hi Judith,
Thanks for the info, I know £ for $ it is about $51,000 but I am thinking about taking into account the lower cost of living. I know house prices are cheaper but how much is a pint and gas/elec. etc... Also would $37,000 be a good or bad wage for someone living outside the main Cities in Central North Island,(just south of Hamilton for example). Any advice onthis would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Tony

Sorry that I haven't been on the site for a while.

Could you give me your e mail address as I could not work it out from FS what you put on this site.

On Friday 13 May, (spooky I know) we went our into our local town to one of my husbands colleagues leaving party. He has got a job with the NZ prison service in Auckland and leaves in just over a weeks time. He has the advantage, however, of having been there to visit his in-laws quite a few times and his wife's sister lives in Australia. I mentioned my worries to him from what I heard on the web site's on the net, but he's not too phased with this, as because he has been there he has seen it first hand and also knows about cost of living from in-laws.

He is not going to sell his house for first few years but rent it out just in case. The UK prison service have also said that they will keep his job open here for 6 months if he doesn't like NZ.

He says he is going for the lifestyle not the income and but mostly for the security and to give his children a better chance in life as the UK is become quite unsafe in many cities. His wife is also due their second baby in August so they want to get settled before he/she arrives.

Anyway, still got to go for the interview on 27th yet. What have you decided to do Tony? Have you heard any more. Also spoke to a chap from Hamilton NZ who said it is a beautiful place.

Well better go, but keep in touch.

Suzanne

PS did you stay in London overnight before your interview?
Hi Sue,
Glad you got back in touch. I am still going for New Zealand, like your friend I feel it is a better quality of life. I had my interview 4 weeks ago, (They said they would let me know in 2-3 weeks), but have since heard the Interviewers now have to send the information to the various diffirent regions in NZ, (depending on where you apply for), which means we have to wait a lot longer, (staff who were interviewed before me have'nt heard anything yet). I share the same concerns about the wage, and unlike your friend, cannot keep my house in England if I go but will not burnt all my bridges. Contact me either via my internet site or via the intranet, (first name Anthony, F.S. is where I work). Hope to hear from you soon,
Tony

As per T &C, email address removed for personal safety. Can you use PM facility, thanks. Bawbee
Hello Tony

Received your reply. I see for security reasons they have removed your e-mail address, so I will just have to stay in touch via this web page.

My Husband's interview is getting ever closer now, with only 1 week to go. Still undecided as to whether we will go or not but had a lady where I work going lock, stock and barrell and all young kids off to Australia today. I was dead envious!!! She said she will let me know how they are faring.

Our friend fly's out to Auckland next Wednesday and said he will e-mail, so will let you know what he says. If you go on the ex pats web page, of which there is a link earlier up on this discussion thread, then there are a few areas where it says that someone's husband is waiting to hear like you, but was worried when I said North Island was full. Anyway they rang NZ house who said that this is not the case, so maybe they are not singing from the same hymn sheet! I hope not as if we were successful then Auckland area is where we would want to be placed.

Better go to bed nowTony. But will write soon.

Regards

Suzanne

Ps where in Uk are you from? We live in Notts
Suzanne, I've sent you Tony's email address in a PM.
I have an interview for NZ early June and would appreciate if anyone has been if they would inform me of interview content etc.....

Cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.