General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
hiya sweetiecurly,

i saw the programme airport on lately, there was a child on who took chicken pox abroad, was allowed to fly home with doctors conscent as the rash was fully out and said not to be contagous, good luck hope the little one gets better soon.

wgipk.
thanks loads for that i was thinking of sneeking her on board but then was worried about if my other children got it while we were over there and they didn't let us fly home. Also i have read it is very bad for people to catch it if they have aids or cancer and i would hate to do that to anyone. such a dilema or what :cry:
hi sweetiecurly

several little ones in my family have had them within the last month, one sure way of finding out if they are chicken pox is to put her in a warm bath :D if she has them they will appear all over as if by magic :D

take care
chazy :D
Hi sweetiecurly,
I've had a good study of a few websites since you posted your message and they all say :you are most infectious from two days before the rash even breaks out and until all the blisters have scabbed over (usually about 3 days) They also say that have been no reports of transmission of chickenpox after 5 days of the appearance of the rash.And they only recommend that children with the virus don't need any more than 5 days away from school nowadays.So really it looks more than promising for you now to have your well earned holiday.I really feel for you and I wish you all the luck in the world.I hope your little one gets well soon and I hope its over quickly.(my kids hardly even noticed they had it) best keep as cool as you can and nowadays antihistamines (non drowsy) really help with itchyness so by the time you go next week the blisters won't look so angry.All the best,Mel.
Oh you poor thing sweetiecurly. They wont let anyone fly who is still infectious, so the one who has it now should be fine but if the others do get it while they're out their they'll only be allowed home if all the spots have scabbed over. Not being a doom and gloomer, just letting you know. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Shorty
Hi,
I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago, my middle son got chickenpox 10 days before we flew to spain. I asked the travel agent what we would have to do and she said that he would be ok to fly as he was no longer contagious but if any of my other boys caught it then we definately could nt go. She also said that as it was nt our fault(unforseen circumstance) then the insurance would enable us to get a full refund for the holiday.
After we kept our fingers, toes and every thing else crossed we were able to go.
Day 2 of our holiday, eldest son got them, Day 4 of our holiday youngest son got them. I was really worried that i would have to stay behind with them but when i told the rep she said that as the incubation period would nearly be over by the time we went home, just to get on the plane.
She could nt guarantee that we would nt be stopped from boarding if some one noticed but they did nt. It was our 1st holiday abroad as a family, we had saved for ages to go and i sure as hell was not going to let chickenpox spoil it.

If you go take with you
Piriton medicine for children,this was a god send to stop itching
Plenty calamine lotion
calpol

You will be able to get these in turkey but the last thing you need is to dashing around trying to find a chemist.
I hope you are able to go and that no one else gets it.

Loulou.
thank you all you are being so nice, i am sitting here getting really stressed she has still only got the one single spot, definately looks like a chickenpox one though i have put her in the bath about and hour ago and it still looks the same no more no less i am ready to stick her back in again to see if i leave her there long enough it will work :lol:
Hi sweetiecurly if you go to mckinley health centre varicella (chicken pox)
you will find out all you have to know about chicken pox not sure of the web site but you will find it ok if you type in the title above ,good luck
:o If its chickenpox, by morning you'll be able to play join-the-dots on her! Good luck x
Apart from piriton which is a godsend the only other tip I can give you is this; Last year my sister in law rang me from the states saying that 2 of her 3 kids had come out in chicken pox 2 days before they were due to travel home, she was desperate to get home on the original flight so this is what I advised her to do, face paints :!: She covered the kids with long sleeved clothes and decided a butterfly would look good on my niece and a spider on my nephew. If customs thought they did not resemble their passports then she would wipe it off and if any spots were spotted it was going to be announced as an allergic reaction cos of the heat :!: or possibly mossie bites with all that gunk on who would know, do not tell child it has chicken pox- they tell everyone, good luck - Ron
that is so funny and so so true about the kids knowing about it that would be just my luck, excuse me madam what are those spots ' dunno sir must be bites' 'no they're not mum thats my chickenpox' yes i can hear that conversation now ooh didn't think of that :wink:

and the face painting idea wonderful ha ha i shall try that one i was thinking like polo jumper etc as we are flying in the middle of the night i was going to tell her to pretend to be asleep and bury her face in my neck as i carry her on board gosh how sneaky am i :twisted:
My son caught chickenpox whilst we were in Lanzarote a few years ago. Whilst the spots were out (not scabbed) he wouldn't have been allowed to fly (Dr. in Lanzarote)
I think the problem with trying to disguise them, tempting though it may be, is that on the plane the air is constantly re-circulated so you really would be putting other passengers at risk, and you never know who on the flight may have auto-immune problems or whatever....there is a reason they won't let you fly with these infectious conditions. I'm not trying to be moralistic, just pointing out all the potential outcomes..
Shorty 8)
this is a very contagious viral infection which can be very dangerous to some people with serious ailments ,not to mention pregnant woman ., i would ask you to please remember this before you decide to hide the fact that your daughter has it . I know it is a difficult situation but one which has to be thought very carefully about . good luck
I agree with Shorty - think it would be quite irresponsible to disguise them.
At the same time realise how heartbreaking it would be havng to cancel a hol because of them!!

LA
Both my husband and myself caught chicken pox from our youngest daughter. We were both extemely poorly with it as is so often the case when adults get these childhood illnesses. I sincerely hope that your daughter does not have it and that your holiday will be fine but I urge you to think of other people who are also looking forward to their hard earned holidays.

Barbara
Sweetiecurly, now some practical advice, check you daughters head thoroughly, one of my daughters only had 2 spots the first was found by our hairdresser 2 days before the second appeared. Check with your gp what the incubation period is, I think you may just be ok, can dry spots up quickly with salt water baths.
Really hope all will be ok, you need a lot of luck now lovie and i've got my fingers crossed for you x
Just a thought but it may not be chicken pox, how old is your daughter and where is the spot? Does it look shiny and water filled? I am a practice nurse and there is a virus (harmless) caaled molluscum contagiousum which is common in kids. My kids had it and it starts with just one spot but then spreads locally ending up in about 10 spots.

Just a thought, hope she is ok

Rhonda
Ooh pager that just reminded me of hand, foot and mouth, extremely common kids infection and the spots are very chicken pox like but confined (as name suggests) TO HANDS FEET AND ROUND MOUTH. mY SON HAD IT, i'D NEVER HEARD OF IT AND WAS HORRIFIED BUT ITS SO COMMON THAT (sorry, caps lock) nearly all adults are immune and I don't think they stop you flying with it! Good luck!
Shorty 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.