General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
chickenpox
38 Posts
thanks for that , by looks of it he should be ok to fly but will advise her to get doctors letter.
Hi Audbod . If it is chicken pox hopefully by next weekend the spots will have scabed over and he should be fine to fly . Is there anyone else in the family tho that hasnt had it that could catch it from him because that might cause a problem .

lyn
Hi yes it is possible to get them twice
My son came out in chickenpox when we were on holiday in Lanzarote about 13 years ago, for the 2nd time.

Definitely get a 'fit to fly' letter from their doctor otherwise the airline could refuse to take him. We had to go back to the doctors in resort otherwise he couldn't have flown.
thanks to everyone , she is going to take him to doctors next week and ask for a letter.
What a coincidence, my daughter (12yrs) had chickenpox last week and she'd had them before when she was 3 months old.

Is this the beginning of an epidemic :shock:
The other thing you can get if you have had chickenpox is shingles
samsung753 is giving mixed messages.

You can't get chickenpox twice. It's a virus which stays with you for life, once you've had chickenpox the virus stays in your system.

For the majority of people it stays dormant, but in some people the virus makes itself known later in life. When it does it's known as shingles and is common in older people - it's painful as it affects the nervous system.

If you get shingles you can pass the virus and anyone who hasn't had them will get chicken pox (hence a requirement for two weeks in as much isolation as possible) , but anyone who has had chicken pox won't get shingles from you.
Scuse me daveyjp, you most certainly CAN get chickenpox twice, as has my neice, nephew and brother and all when they were children :roll:
Except in rare cases, chickenpox does not strike twice - once you've had it, you are immune for life. As per my medical dictionary. As is backed up by the link posted by Mark above.

Looks like some people have "rare" relations :shock:

I was always under the impression once you'd had it you couldn't get Chickenpox again......it seems that's true in 99.9% of people
My family are really exceptional :lol: :lol: :lol: believe me :wink:
Following primary infection there is usually lifelong protective immunity from further episodes of chickenpox. Recurrent chickenpox is fairly rare but more likely in people with compromised immune systems.

Well my son must be rare also as he definitely has had it twice - first time when he was very young. My mother is a midwife who was with us on holiday when the 2nd outbreak occurred (he was about 9 yrs old) and she 'spotted' it as chickenpox which was confirmed by the doctor at the medical clinic. :P
My son has also had chickenpox twice,he has alot of medical illnesses and has been under GOSH for many years both times they diagnosed that it was chickenpox.
I work in a primary school and this week we have had alot of the children off because they have chickenpox so could quite possibly be the start of an epidemic.
It's rife round where we live too. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to send the bairn to school next week, just incase!!!!! We go on holiday next Saturday and he hasn't had them yet :shock:
Ive had a letter home from nursery too saying that chickenpox is "at large" at the moment. My daughter had it really bad when she was 6 months old so hoping she wont get it again.

As a child I had it twice and the second time, mum was told that if you have a mild outbreak of chickenpox the first time around, then you are more than likely to get it again. Whereas if it is bad outbreak first time around, then you shouldn't get it again. Suppose that figures.
:)
Ive had chicken pox twice,first time I was four and on holiday in spain, my mum said I was really poorly with it and spent
nearly a week in the room,must have been fun for my parents :roll:
I then got them again when I was 19(covered from head to toe)and I was absolutely mortified that my social life was ruined for 10 whole days :cry: :lol: :lol:
samsung753 is giving mixed messages.

daveyjp

I am not misleading anyone.
You CAN get chicken pox twice.
Also after you have had chicken pox the virus can lay dormant in your body for years and can reappear as shingles.
Also you don't have to be old to get shingles.

:tut
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.