EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
CARS
12 Posts
Hi Thomodeb,

I have never driven to Tenerife so I have no idea about the ferry from Cadiz.

I'm a little confused. Is your car a right hand drive? If it is then to me its not even worth trying to get it registered with Spanish plates. The cost of 're-matriculation' (having it as a legal Spanish vehicle) depends on individual vehicle, however, average fee is 250€ and you must have boat tickets, ITV (MOT) fee 80€, trafico (Police) paperwork normally 1-300€ and 13% of what the government deem the car to be worth. Its always worth checking on FINAL cost BEFORE going ahead.

There are companies that carry this out for you but obviosly this incurrs more costs.It would be a waste of time with a right hand drive vehicle here anyway.............Ticket issuing machines in car parks are.......on the left!!! McDonalds drive through window............on the left!!! Facilities are not deigned for R/H/D cars here. It REALLY is a bad idea to think about bringing one over unless you either sell it for nothing here or drive it back off the island.

You dont see ANY R/H/D cars here that have been re-matriculated......!!!
ok how about this.there are spanish plated cars in england can you bring one of these over to tenerife
I've seen something on another forum about the cadiz ferry, the discussion was about the cost - someone had a quote for 2000€.

google search - ferry cadiz - and you'll find a site for quotes
people are missing the point of what i am trying to do.
its not the money of getting a car to tenerife .i am going to live in tenerife
but first i have allway wished to travel spain again with a tent.so when i leave england i only want to do a one way journey.
so i am trying to buy a spanish vehicle to use in tenerife and for the journey?
so if anybody can tell me the best place to buy from england a spanish reg vehicle i will be obliged.
thank you spook and jan
regard
mark
The autotrader have a left hand drive section in their magazine. I'm sure they will be online as well. I have seen Tenerife plated cars for sale in the past in it. Just make sure its not a dog as it will have been driven into the UK and might not make it back to Tenerife.
SPOOK
i have got a spanish reg car out of auto trader.
any idear how to insure it
Get it insured in the Uk then change over once your here.
MAKUM
can you get a spanish plated car insured here ???
i thought you had to insure it in the countre it is registerd :oops:
You can get you Spanish plated car insured in the uk it might be a little more than for the same car in right hand drive but you will be able to get it done.

When you have arrived in Tenerife have a look at this company on the web http://www.abbeygateinsurance.com/ they will insure there without any problems.

If you intend to bring an English plated car to Spain or any of the islands then you ought to read this as well as this was what I had to do to get my car put on Spanish plates.

One of the things you have to consider is is the car worth taking with you when you move. I don't mean this comment to be rude against you or your car but I say it because you have to think about the economic side of the import.

You can keep a UK registered car legally in Spain for a max of 6 months then you my register it with Spanish plates and that is where the economic part I was talking about come in.

At some stage you will have to get from the DVLA a certificate of permanent export, and I would suggest you do that when the car tax runs out I would suggest you look here http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regveh_whatmustido.htm for all the info on doing the UK side.

1. When you come to register you car in Spain you will first have to get a full written Technical report from your local Motor Technical Engineer which in my case cost me €60.

2. Next you will have to take your car together with the technical report to you local ITV which is the English version of an MOT testing Station. When you get there they will fail you car even if it is very new because of the head light pointing the wrong way so I would suggest you get them changed before you go for the MOT. The test is very much like it is in the UK only you drive your car from stage to stage of each test while they play. If all goes well with the test we move on to stage 3.

3. You will then have to locate you local equivalent of our DVLA go there with all the paper work for the car including Spanish car insurance and pay you car tax for want of a better word, which for me was €1,850, but before you shoot yourself that is a 1 off payment a kind of import fee and the cost depends on the type, make, size, Cc etc of the car. At this stage you should get issued with you new car registration number to replace your UK one.

4. The next stage is to go to your local town hall to pay you local car tax which you have to each year, again this cost depends on the type, make, size etc of your car. In my case it was €165. You will get a reminder just like in the UK when this is due, nice of them don't you think.

If you do not speak Spanish, and I sure hope at least one of you does it is a very daunting project importing a car, luckily my wife is Spanish so that solved that problem for me. You also need to be aware that, at least in my case and Spanish was spoken, just like any UK government department friendliness and helpfulness is not there greatest commodities and remember the Spanish way of life manana manana and the opening and closing times of these departments.

If I can help any more please post here, also if anything is done different down Tenerefe way I am sure somebody will pop up here and tell you.

May I wish you good luck on your quest and hope you have a happy life here in Spain.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.