Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Dai,the Conrad hotel which is near yours were charging 45LE(£4.50) to take people to the airport.I dont know how much it was if they came to pick you up.I would contact your hotel and ask if they offer this service but pay no more than £5.00.Petrol is about 50p a gallon or so we were told!.
i never had any probs, just agree and stick to that price, say la la this means no no or phone the hotel you stay at am sure they arange for you have a great time am sure you will am there again in march
dai king
why dont you contact the hotel and ask them to send a taxi you will then be met at the airport saves any hassle, expecially as you might be delayed and get there later... and the pyrisima is close to the airport.
just looked on google and had up a page http://www.holidaytaxi.com quick quote for sunday £37 single trip £63 return trip - i think you will be better using taxis at airport this seems pricey.....
Just got back and from my brief experience, sharm taxi drivers are the least trustworthy people I've ever met. After 4 harrowing taxi trips we stuck to the hotel "limosine" service a little bit more expensive but far more trustworthy.

Trip 1 - Airport to hotel on sunday night. Could only haggle the £30 fare down to £10. Got in the car for driver to change his mind to £15. Got out of taxi and eventually got another for £10. Still more than double what it should have cost. That's a £10 for a 5 mile transfer in a 20yr old car in a country where petrol costs 10p litre. I'm generalising a little but that's a reasonably accurate description. Met other english tourists who'd paid £20 for the same transfer.

Trip 2 - Agreed a fare of 25LE from Naama Bay to hotel only for the driver to change to 30LE as we get to the car. More protests and eventually we agreed on 25LE before getting in.

Trip 3 - Old Town to hotel. Got driver down from 50LE (hotel car cost 45LE) to 30LE. Half way there and he says "Its further than I thought, It'll cost you 50LE". At which point my fiancee went PMT mental. In the end we paid 40LE got 10LE change but the driver didn't say a word to us. He didn't get a tip.

Trip 4 - Trip to Old town. Driver quoted 70LE and wouldn't go less than 50LE so we went to hotel cars for 45LE and only as we were getting into the hotel car, the taxi driver said he'd take us for 30LE. Needless to say we said la shokran and took the new, air-conditioned, clean car the hotel offered not the ancient scabby dirty smelly peugeot estate that all the sharm taxis are.

I'll happily go to Egypt and Sharm again but I'd avoid taxis where possible and stick to the more expensive but more regulated taxi service our hotel offered. Haggling and banter is all part of the egypt experience but dishonesty and extortion?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.