America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Grand Canyon
145 Posts
Maz,

We flew with HeliUSA from Las Vegas to the Canyon, it was called Chariots of Fire.

They were very professional, and would recommend them to others, maybe not the cheapest but there helicopters look and feel great.

Unfortunately, I do not fly very well so we decided not to land in the Canyon just in case I would not return in the Helicopter. My fears were unfounded, it was an experience of a lifetime, we then went onto fly with HeliUSA around the island of Hawaii.

I believe the weather does play a part in what they can do, and how low to the ground they fly. Cant help with the weather in November, and would think they would make it another day if they could not fly.

We booked over the internet, and you have to give your card number but they do not debit it until you book in on the day.

Our Virgin rep on the way out, suggested that we phone HeliUSA from our hotel and enquire if they have any flights going on standby, you can save a fortune. We were going to try that for the evening flight over Vegas but ran out of time.

Happy holidays,

Karen.
Hi,

We flew Pavillion Helicopters. They were very efficient and landed on the floor of the grand canyon and handed us all our own picnic basket.

I dont think it was that expensive either but i booked 3 trips at the same time so i am not 100% sure how much but think it was approx £160. for 3 hours.
Yes I think you really need to land in the Canyon. We went last year and just flew over on a 2 hour tour but we didn't get that "wow" feeling we thought we were going to get.

Looking back, I wish we had landed.
Thanks all for your replies. I think we will definately go with the Landing
in the Grand Canyon, going that far, I want to see it all. May wait until we are there to book, as we are going mid week and there may be some deals about.
We flew over the canyon in a 19 seater plane. We obviously didn't land. It was nice, it was only $99 each, and worth the price. However, I didn't think 'wow' when I was flying over like I thought I would. Maybe that's just me though. I'm more likely to be impressed by a huge shopping mall or something!!! :P

We're off to vegas for 11 nights on 6 Sept and can't wait!!!
We flew with Maverick Helicopters, landed in the Canyon and had a bit of a picnic. Great pilot, very informative, he had created a music tape for different areas of the flight, as we approached the Canyon and flew down into it he played 'Flight of the Valkryes' - excellent stuff. We flew over the strip, Lake Mead and the Hoover dam as part of the trip as well. I'd highly recommend it.
Oh, and there's a video camera underneath the helicopter so you can buy a copy afterwards and see everything you saw during the flight once you get home!!

Cheers,

Tony
Funny enough, we flew Maverick Helicopters on an evening strip flight. Although the pilot was very sweet, I found it a big anti-climax after the Grand Canyon trip and there was a two hour wait beofre going up as well. Although, i was told by the booking woman that Maverick were the best, I though Papillion were excellent. (helped along by the fact that the piolt was very very sexy! ) LOL

(PS i did Mamma Mia as well and it was fabulous!)

Sarah
My husband and I also flew with Papillon Helicopters to the Grand Canyon. We had about a 20 minute wait at the airport during which time we were shown a safety video. Our pilot too was very nice!

Our flight was the sunset flight, so a bit more expensive but well worth it because at the end, you fly down the strip and because the sun had set by the time we did this, all the strip was lit up, so sort of two trips in one really!

Landing in the Grand Canyon was great - that's when you realise just how big it is and how small we are. We had a picnic with champagne included, so it was lovely. It's so quiet. I wouldn't want to go at any other time of the day because watching the sun set over the Canyon is the most amazing experience. We had a fantastic time with this company. Just out of interest, we did actually pre-book this before leaving to go to LV, so I don't know whether we paid that much more. I don't think we did, but obviously pre-booking ensured we had the best time of the day to fly.

Hope that you have as great a time as we did!

Gill
Gillbabe.

We had a pilot called Gale (??) He was lovely, but thinking back I dont think it was actually him that was sexy, it was the prestige of being a helicopter pilot coupled with the uniform and the excitement of the day.

At least i think so.
Yes, I know what you mean! Our pilot was quite nice looking - he was an ex Airforce pilot and quite young. It worked out well because us and the other 2 couples in the helicopter were also young - i.e. no one over 40! Great experience though.
We didn't do the heli bit but we flew to the rim on a small twin engine planes. Landed on the Indian reservation side and had a guided tour of the rim including lunch. Had a really great day. They did heli hops from the airfield on the rim but I've no idea how much they cost. We flew with King Airlines. They picked us up from out hotel and drove us the the airfield at Henderson in the middle of the desert. hardest thing was working out our weights in pounds as they have to load the planes carefully. Ours was a 10 seater (9 passengers).

He flew over the Hoover dam then up the canyon banking at regular intervals so we could look straight down into it. Headphones were provided for a commentary.

Well worth the money.
Gill
no doubt about it. Same Bloke! Very slim with a crew cut. reminded me a bit of Woody Harrellson although my mate thinks im mad saying that. He just had that look about him! :lol:
Hi again.

I am still to book my tour to the Grand Canyon while in Vegas, just be interested to hear peoples experiences of the various tours they have been on.

We definitely want to do the Helicopter tour but am unsure as the best company to book with.

Would appericiate any suggestions.

Steve
Steev,

I went with Maverick Tours and they were very good. We booked through the concierge in our hotel and got a good price :D

They flew down the strip so you get a good view of everything, then over the Hoover Dam, land inside the canyon by the river for a picnic, then back over Lake Mead and back down the strip. You can buy a DVD or video of the flight too.

HTH,

TC
Suggest you also look at "Sundance" and "Heli USA". These are cheaper than Maverick.

That said Maverick does these trips in a little more style.

I have used both Heli USA and Sundance for GC trips before. I thought the Sundance experience was best. We landed at the bottom of the canyon then had a champagne lunch (served in a little wicker picnic basket) on board a small boat that took up up and down the river.

Heli USA don't have landing rights at the botton of the Canyon so can only land at the rim.
Hi, we got recommended papillion - http://www.papillion.com - we did the grand cruise celebration tour cost arond $325, lasted for about 4 hours. They pick you up from your hotel, take you to the airport for the helicopter. Takes about 40 mins to fly to the canyon, going over the hoover dam, then lands at the bottom of the grand canyon where we had a champagne picnic under a shelter, we then got on the boat for a short trip down the colarado before getting back in the helicopter to fly through the canyon, finnished off with a flight over the strip. The best $325 ive ever spent. We were lucky enough to get in the front as they weight you 1st. Have a fantastic time x
wickchick, Think we are going to do the exact one with Papillion as you did, but did you book online before you went or when you were in LV?

I noticed on their site you need to book 5 days before you want to do it and we are only there for 6 days.
Book before you go and pay online. Print off the confirmation - this will tell you the exact pick up time from your hotel - although time may change slightly - we originally requested a morning flight but got moved to the afternoon -but this will come back on the confirmation email that you get.. All they ask is that as soon as you land in vegas then to call the free phone number to confirm your booking, the operator will then ask you your estimated weights. Once at the papillion office, you get weighted again - you cannot take any bags on board with you - the only things you can carry are camera's camcorders and water, everything else gets locked away. 8 other people who i know have all used these and cannot fault the service. Took some amazing photos and recordings of the whole experience. Think we tipped the pilot about $10 each. Was a trip of a lifetime and something that i'll never forget.
Hi All,
Having a week in Las Vegas during October.
Want to do GC, Hoover Dam tour etc.
Have seen various options.
Want to keep costs down but see as much as possible.
Any recs of which trip & company to use would be appreciated. Also whether to book on-line or wait till I arrive.

Cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.