Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i was in bodrum last year and just back from marmaris early this month. on the whole marmaris is by far and away cheaper than bodrum. and to be fair, i don't think it was that more expensive than my previous visait (some 4 years ago). Found the market to be a lot cheaper than the bazaar. food was reasonably priced. local drinks were a good price, but imported drinks were extortionate

Hope this helps
was in marmaris two weeks ago, we go three times a year, every year.
food and drink didn't seem any dearer and as for the rest you just haggle for it
Thanks for the replies - bit of a relief, one of the reasons we enjoy going to Turkey is because prices are so reasonable, when were away we like to do lots of trips, drink plenty and eat out even more so was worried for a moment we might not be able to be as free with our cash as last year.

I think it also depends on where you eat and drink as prices vary so much.

Phew! :D
The only thing that seemed to be expensive was soft drinks,coke,sprite were dearer than Efes.My husband barters for everything.He even barted at the Duty Free shop in the airport and succeded!.
Can we have some prices, not it's cheap or expensive.

Most people want to know the following:-

How much is a pint?
How much is it for a G&T
How much is the Dolmus
How much are the taxis
How much is an average evening meal?
2 Course
3 Course
For Mrs Gene How much is a Fishbowl?
How much is a boat trip?
How much is a Jeep Safari?
How much is a Turkish Bath?
etc
etc

Actual figures are better than general comments.

Thanks

Dave :thanks
Just back from a great holiday in Kusadasi :D

Prices maybe a little higher but it just depends where you go.
Tansas and Migros supermarkets are very cheap on turkish brands, imported stuff is more expensive.

Anything from £1.50 (small bars, restaurants) to £3.50 (Bar Street, nightclubs) for a pint of efes.
The Dolmus is still really cheap usually from around 50p to 75p a trip.

Excursions are always more expensive if you go through your holiday rep, you get the same trips cheaper if you can be bothered to shop around.

When I'm on B&B I only have a couple of snacks in the daytime and one main meal at night which was usually around £10 with a drink.
If you go to Burger King or Macdonalds it can cost you around £5 for their meals!
I don't even want to think about the airport prices :shock:
Mail on Sunday is giving the exchange rate at 2.70 TL to the £ ! - things are looking up !.

Toffeemen
hi been to marmaris a few times each time last week in july first week in aug- yes peak times before i went first time i was reading reports saying how expensive it was i thought prices ok it strange because those who go this time of year always talk of price increases like last year they were saying boat trips had gone up and that there was no more inclusive trips i'am coming to wonder if us peak timers are getting the bargain holidays because i'am sure things get reduced again for peak time like boat trips (the simpsons boat some one said it was £20 no drink included but when i got there boat trip £10 all inclusive dont no if any one out there can second my thoughts but turkey is still ok . go to mark and spencers do good deals on currency.
I came back from Marmaris on Monday and although we were HB we had a couple of lunches out in Icmeler.we paid 15TL for a large chicken sandwich,chips and a bottle of large Efes for 2.There was a resturant near our hotel doing 5 course evening meals for £7.It was called Cafe Ibiza and everyone who ate here said it was excellent.Large bottles of Efes was 3-4TL.Trips with local companies seemed to be around £10 each.Dolmus from Armultan area to harbour was 1TL.From here to Icmeler was 1.5TL.Turkish baths varied between £18-£22 including a massage,this was with local companies.The only thing I thought was a bit pricy was soft drinks.4-4.28TL.G&Ts in hotel were 7TL.
We spent the first week of May in Gumbet on an all inclusive holiday. This was our first holiday in Turkey. We are not normally that keen on half board never mind all inclusive as we like to eat out at different places. however we booked the holiday for a really good price and though it was still worth the money even if we ate out in the evenings.

On our second night we went to a place called Planet Yukka as it was recommended. A steak for two people with a bottle of house wine, no starter or desert came to around £35. The food was very average and very small portions but to be honest what would you expect from any restaurant that serves Chinese, Indian, Italian, Tex Mex along side Turkish and Mediterranean food. As we struggled to find anywhere in Gumbet that looked any different we ate in our hotel for the rest of the holiday. A first for us.

I did buy a pair of earrings for £60 that I feel would have cost at least £100 at home although it hard to compare. Other than that we bought back a few T Shirts. Not hard to get three reasonable quality T shirts for £10 and if you compare this to the designer T shirts that they are copying they are a bargain but since they are just copies you could probably get the same quality at the same price from Asda.

We didn't go on any trips but those we saw prices for looked reasonable.

I generally take two holidays a year which over the last two years have been in Mallorca, Tenerife and Spain and in my opinion in terms of value for money Turkey is more expensive and leaves you feeling ripped off. However the people are lovely and kind of make up for it.
Hiya

Just back from Marmaris - And dont think prices increased much from last year - Prices as below. At the beginning of our 2 weeks were only getting 2.3 to the £ - towards the end we were getting 2.7 - So obviously getting a lot more for our money
Drinks & food
Beer - Between 3.5 & 5 YTL
Local vodka - Usually 5 but paid 7 lira in Bar X on the beach
Soft drinks - 2.5 & 3.5
Bottle of wine - Chepeast Doluca at 20 lira - though a nice medium averaging at 25
English Brekkie - cheapeast was 3 lira - though most places 5 lira
Steak dinner - About 18 lira, chicken about 15. Lots of 3/5 course deals around for 17-18 lira

Last day we tried a great place down on the beach behind where Daisy bar used to be - Sofra 2. Cheap as chips, 2 cheese pides, 2 cokes 2 waters, Aubergine casserole, Meatballs, Lavash & rice & 1 rice pudding = 20 YTL . They do do the general 'tourist menu' at greatly reduced prices - but its the turkish menu that really is cheap

Market
Towels(Large football type ones) - Paid 10 lira at Marmaris market - Though hubby battered down to 8 lira in local shops
Ladies Sandals - Marked up as 3 for a tenner in Market - Though hubby again bartered and got me 4 pairs for a tenner :love
Lacoste trackie(for 14 year old) paid 20 lira

Only done one trip - and that was lazy day boat trip. Never booked up just went down on the front in the morning and we got one for 20 lira each - this included food & all drinks - So happy with this price

Thats all i can think of at the mo

Cheers

LA
you must expect price rises where eever you go ,been to turkey many times and never thought it was much different each time , six years ago i was paying a tenner for three t/shirts so there is not much change there. i stay on a small holiday resort on the river clyde scotland where you will pay £3.50 for a bowl of soup ,try that compared to turkey .

bluepeterno1
Dont get me wrong Blue - I was totally happy with what we were paying - And didnt see any price increases since last year, though im sure there will be others who disagree. Wanted to give specific prices rather than just MHO

LA

PS - We got 5 good quality tshirts for a tenner at marm market :wink:
hi l.a we usually go to a place called belek now, and if you haggle you will get a good bargain wth anything you buy. it is the only place in turkey where we have never been hassled ,even lokking in the jewelers windows ,no one comes out and tries to drag you in , seemmingly it agaist the local bylaws to hassle tourists , it is illegal all over turkey but they still do it, i find the prices in belek to be really cheap .
hi l.a

that post on proces was spot on thanks.

i have a 14 yr old son who will only wear named clothes,

he obviously needs clobber for hot turkish weather but wont wear vests/sleaveless t shirts here or shorts or 3/4s

im not paying english prices for him to wear once, do you think i should wait and get them from marmaris markets and shops

he is my worst nightmare

thanks for any help

pam and stoppy teenager xxxxxxxx
Pammie,
I would just get them there if i were you. Last year we got 3 pairs of Quicksilver long shorts each for my boys for £10 from the shops, really good copies.
I have not bought vests over there so not sure how many you get for £10

Loulou
Hi pammie i would wait until i get there if i was you,near the bazaar we even found a shop that sold mckenzie jackets/t shirts etc.I went into one of the well known sports shops here the other day and looked at a well known make t shirt,looked at the label and it said made in turkey.My children will only wear names gear and the clothes in turkey always wash up well and last for ages. 8)
three years ago i was buying three dress short sleeve shirts , names like ben sherman , lacoste and so on for a tenner . they wash great and i am still wearing them. no wonder they are called the only original fakes in the world

bluepeterno1
What I have noticed this year is that Icmeler has prices cheaper than Marmaris in a lot of places and most places are the same price as Icmeler.

John
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.