Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
i'm a worker on rhodes and have also recently had a holiday to alykes on zante and food prices were the same as ever,if not cheaper,4 of us went and in the restaurants were were having a starter each with a big salad and tzatziki for the table,enough water for all 4,a coke or beer each and a main course and not once did the bill come to more than 55 euros,pretty good for 4 greedy lumps like us,i'd say a lot of people would struggle to eat as much as we did so probably less for a family of say 2 adults 2 kids. drinks wise we were paying between 2 and 3 euros for 'local' beer or mythos but a ridiculous 4.50 for drinks like bud,4 euros for southern comfort and lemonade,much more expensive than the UK. On rhodes i'm not sure about food as being a worker i pay workers rates if and when i go in a restaurant but drinks prices are pretty much as above with wine being the cheapest drink. bus fares rarely change,it's usually impossible to spend more than 2-3 euros on any journey,taxis are also the same more or less with a standard journey in resort costing around 5-6 euros. if you go in a supermarket to get food for SC then i'd say look for the genuine chain shops like maxi-dia,AB,champion or spar-veropolis,the little mini markets and tourist supermarkets that are often named 'tesco' or 'asda' are a rip off,3 euros for a tin of beans anyone?!
Thanks for that Sambuca. We are heading to Tolo for about the ninth time on 3rd July.
Last year Mythos was 2.5 E a go so sounds much the same as Rhodes. Hope it has not gone again.
Main courses were around 7-8 E whereas a few years ago it was 5 -7 E.
In Tolo all UK holiday firms pulled out or gone bust except Sunvil so not many Brits there now.
New visitors now from Eastern Europe but they buy all booze and food in supermarkets not bars and tavernas so Greeks not happy and struggling to make a living on top of all the economic woes.
it's sambacasual and you're welcome.

I don't know if you've experienced russians on holiday yet but if so you'll know what i mean when i say they're the rudest people on earth,in my job i meet people from all over the world on a daily basis and the only nationalities i can honestly say i hate dealing with and the russians and at least 50% of the english :yikes
I can second that about Russians, so rude. In the Domincan there were lots of American Russians and one of the tour guides called them new money and said if they booked a trip with him he would not put any other nationalities with them as they are just too much to bear (loud, overbearing and flashing the money around) One evening at dinner I happened to tap a man on the shoulder (Russian) because he was standing in the way of everyone. Well the look he gave me I thought he was going to kill me or maybe send the Russian mafia after me!!! I then watched as he spoke to one of the servers absolutely disgracefully, after he walked away I uttered a few of my own choice words to describe him, to the delight of the server!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.