DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
Good morning, methodman,

When you check in for your outward flight, ask who the airline's handling agents are in Ibiza.On arrival in Ibiza, find the handling agents' desk(e.g.Servisair)and ask for their 'phone number.You can then confirm the flight before you plan to leave your accommodation.
In reality you probably wouldn't know until you turned up at the airport but is it any different with a package tour?

How many people find out about flight delays before they leave their accomodation?
You should always ring (in theory) to confirm your return flight...normally you will find instructions to do so, with the appropriate number, in your paperwork and/or airline ticket.

Not only does this ensure you do not have a wasted journey to the airport in case of delays, but technically the airline can resell your seat if not confirmed (particularly in the case of late arrival at checkin) - this is RARE as most planes do not fly full - but I have seen posts on this board where it has happend. The other consideration is that occasionally the flight may be rescheduled to leave earlier - so you need to ensure you are aware before hand !

In the case of DIYers, confirmation of flight is in my book, essential as you do not have the services of a holiday rep. whose job it would normally be to confirm your flights, and inform of changes.

Many people will tell you that they never bother, but neither did I until I saw the phlight of one poor chap on these boards left stranded for a week in a remote part of Egypt - now considering I have a family in tow, and a job to get back to, for the price and effort of a simple phone call I would not risk it. :roll:
I agree with the above. If you are not on a package then very often you need to telephone 24 - 48 hours before your return flight to confirm it.

We use Air Berlin to fly to Palma and we always telephone and confirm the return flight - in fact it does say on the paperwork to do that. Not because we are concerned that they might sell our seat but simply to check that the flight time has not changed. Air Berlin are extremely good in letting you know about changes - even a 10 minute one!!

Friends of ours did not confirm their Ryanair flight and got to airport to find that the flight time had been changed to 7 hours later! Fortunately as they had their own villa they were able to return to it.

Pippa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.