Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Really interesting thanks.

We've just bought a little camper and are thinking of something similar, to France, and down to the Vendee or to Ardeche. Using Plymouth to Roscoff ferry as we only have two weeks and live in Cornwall.

If we have a normal UK hook up what extras do we need to take so we can use all these different electircal set ups?
Keswick
If we have a normal UK hook up what extras do we need to take so we can use all these different electrical set ups?

the requirements are simple

1/ a continental adaptor you can get these at all good caravan shops

2/ a plug in tester to tell you whether you have an earth or not or the polarity is reversed- you can them them at DIY outlets in the electrical dept about £15 ish

3/ the last bit is easy but you need to be practical
You need to make a reverse polarity lead I made ours by chopping a metre of cable complete with plug off one of our cables and then added a socket but wired up so the +ve was on the negative terminal this needs to be labelled clearly so you remember

When you get to a site plug your tester in but make sure everything else is off connect the power lead you will see easily if you need the continental adaptor then work out if you need the reverse polarity cable

The Dutch French and Germans don't need this as their switches are double pole (both positive and negative are switched) so it doesn't matter to them where as ours are only switched on the live side and so you will still be powered up when you think they aren't -could be nasty if you spill water from the kettle
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.