Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Sharks!
34 Posts
in the main the eastern Med contains 3 members of the shark family
1] Musteus musteus ( the smooth hound) also found in British waters sometimes locally called the smooth dog

2] Squalus acanthias (the piked dog) not usually found around the UK

3] Prionace Glaica ( the Blue Shark ) also found around the UK this is the largest resident shark in the med

for info on each goggle the Latin name for best results

wizard
Thanks for your reply

are they BIG??

Could they eat us?

Not meaning to be flippant. :shock:
The blue shark makes the best souvlaki. Good, solid meat.
Sorry, misread your message. I hadn't understood who was eating whom.
Yes there are sharks in the Med - and if I read your concerns right, yes there ARE Great Whites. But the chances of you coming across one are practically nil.

http://www.sharkinfo.ch/SI2_98e/mediterranean.html

is a good scientific and rational treatment of the subject. (And yes, the though of sharks terrify me (having seen a couple of smallish ones) and no, it doesn't stop me going in the sea!)
They normally drive the taxis !
Get real, - they can't drive. They sell timeshares!
Stop worrying, you are probably more likely to die in a plane crash than suffer a shark attack. I have only ever seen one shark in 25 years of holiday snorkelling. That was a Nurse shark about 5 feet in length and I came face to face with it when crossing a reef in Florida. Like most sharks, unless threatened, they just swim away. I will admit I was shocked at the time because they do have a menacing appearance. Jaws has a lot to answer for!!
i am a professional swimmer..i am going all around the islands of Aegean with my brothers boat.WE NEVER NEVER saw a shark or fishes like sharks. there are no sharks in greece guaranteed.if anyone can show me a foto with shark from greece i will give him 100.000 pounds...
Thats a great offer, I'll be spending a lot more time in the water with my camera next year :D
Me too!! That'll pay for a few rakis - shall I post the links to the sharks caught off Tilos and Hora Sfakion now or later????? I think they were both Thresher sharks....
http://www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-crete/travelogues1.html

Page down for the 450 kilo shark caught off Gavdos.

Still trying to find the Tilos picture!
Oh dear Makispol,
just because you hav'nt seen them dos'ent mean they are'nt there. If you have kids I doubt they will get many toys this Christmas :(
thats not a shark..thats a dog-fish we call it in greece
Thats no dogfish but even if it was, a dogfish is still a shark. I feel you may have to concede defeat on this one. I've seen plenty of dogfish, also known as Huss or Rock Salmon in the UK. The original post concerned fear of shark attacks in Greece and nobody has produced any evidence that this has ever happened so as mentioned previously, STOP WORRYING.
Great pictures Elenitsa, have a terrific Christmas on your new windfall!!!
try this also http://tech.pathfinder.gr/tech/159442.html . its a shark that doesnt eat meat at all. it is fed only with plants...7,5 meters
Nice one Makispol, I'll take your word for that, a vegetarian shark must be quite unusual and I dont read Greek.
I think it's a basking shark....don't they eat plankton and that type of thing?

Anyway, I should know better that to try to tell a Greek that they are wrong!! But I'll give it one more go - Makis there ARE sharks in Greek waters and some of them are ones that don't eat tiny plankton (can't remember the exact species but I believe that there's a stuffed blue shark in Rhodes aquarium that was caught off the island). There is a research project on Great Whites which live in the Med and although they seem to be mainly situated around Sicily, they are migratory and almost certainly make their way into the Aegean very occasionally.

It won't stop the majority of people coming to Greece - I've been coming for over 20 years now and I still go in the water despite having seen 2 large "dogfish".

Shall we agree to disagree?? I say "shark", you say "dogfish" - doesn't really matter in the great scheme of things!

Kala Christouyenna!
there are 135 kinds of sharks in the world.12 of them attack to humans.we dont have anyone of these 12 kinds in greece..this shark was caught in north aegean.its name is pilgrim - worshipper (Cetorhinus maximus) it can reach 15 meters long and it :lol: EATS ONLY PLANTS OF SEA 2,5 TN WEIGHT
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.