Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Must does are Petronas Twin Towers, Menara Tower and Chinatown at night (tacky and crowded but worth a visit). The Old Main Railway Station at Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin and the many shopping malls, including the one under the twin towers.

The Batu Caves are a Hindu shrine and entail climbing a lot of steps but should be seen. The National Museum is also worth a couple of hours of your time.
You could try high tea at Carcosa Seri Negara. Its now a posh hotel but used to be the British Governors residence and has a touch of the old colonials about it. Many heads of state have stayed here including the Queen and Nelson Mandela...the concierge may on a good day allow you to see the bedrooms heads of state have stayed in.

Theres also a nearby forest reserve FRIM you can visit to get a flavour of what the Malaysian rainforest is like. see traditional Malay houses etc. Further afield you could visit the likes of Frasers Hill to get the feel of what a colonial hill station was like...used to spend my summer holidays here as a kid. A side trip to Mallacca is worthwhile as this is an interesting town...but it would be a long trip to do in a day.

Otherwise its all that Judiths mentioned. Its worth going up the KL Menara Tower early in your visit as its handy to orient yourself with KL. They also have a reasonable revolving restaurant to visit in the evening. THe KL Central market, is worth about half an hours poke around. The Bukit Bintang area is good for a shop and has many restaurants and bars.
My favourite in KL was the Batu Caves. Oh! those steps. The cheeky monkeys run up and down and over your hands on the hand rail and give you (well me) a fright.
I loved our time there but it was tacked on the end of a day trip and we were only given a short time to see it. If I were to do it again (knee permitting) I would find my own way there and back and take a lot more time.
It's an amazing place with amazing history.
Go and see the World's tallest flagpole! We were only there for three days so did the Petronas Towers and Menara Tower and of course the flagpole. Lonely Planet guides contain some very good guided walks which take you slightly off the beaten track.
If you go the Batu Caves try looking at the caves at the bottom of the steps- not many people actually go here but its worth it. Apart from the trips mentioned I would suggest the Bird Park and a walk around the War Memorial.
There is now a hop on hop off bus that goes round KL, taking in all the major sites and major hotel areas as well. It costs RM 38 for adults and is valid all day

They also have their own equivilent of the London Eye for this year too
When doing the Batu Caves remember to take plenty of water...maybe even some plus100 to rehydrate...the shops below the caves tend to charge over the odds for it.
My Top Do's for KL:

> The Petronas Towers
> Visiting the many shopping malls
> Shopping the bottom six floors of the Petronas towers for designer labels.
> Ride the monorail
> Night markets

KL is very special for my fiance and I as its where we first got engaged! Planet Holywood of all places!

If you have more time in Malaysia you must spend a week in Langkawi, i can totally recommend the Berjaya Langkawi, excellant location.

If you have a week in Langkawi its definitly worth hiring a car.
In kuala lumpar just down from the Petronas towers they have just opened a new sealife centre it is a must see, i would go as far to say its the best seaworld i have ever been too.
We visited the sealife centre last year well worth the £5 entry fee you can get to it via an underground walk way from KLCC or just go to the convention centre it is right in the middle (if you stay at MO it is only a 2 minute walk.

We also found the Petronas exhibition on the top floor of KLCC very interesting but give your self 3 to 4 hours to take every thing in.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.