America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi Mick

You may find THIS topic useful.

Pippy :D
  • Edited by Pippy 2007-11-29 16:58:51
going to florida sept/oct, is this time of year a good time to go?
We are stuck to going school holiday times so can anyone advise me on the best time to go? We are thinking of either Easter or during the kids 6 week school holiday. Heard it is too hot July and August. Are the parks really busy at Easter??
I'm guessing you refer to Florida although you haven't said. If so Easter is busier than July and August. The weather is easier to bear at Easter but I would never go back then. Too much queuing for my liking. It'll be hot and humid in July and August.
If its not Florida, maybe you mean the California parks. I've been in July and the weather was lovely - 80 degrees and dry. Maybe someone else will know about Easter there.
Have you thought about Oct term? I have been twice in Feb half term which I would highly reccomend and July which was a bit hotter but bearable and once in October and I loved Oct weather,plus parks where not as busy and more bargains in the shopping Malls etc.
Whenever you pick you will love it!
I wouldn't recommend Florida in the summer months - to much rain, Easter is busy, but in all honestly, i think October is the best time and still hot, without the rain.

Enjoy xx
We need to go when the kids are off school for at least 2 weeks, so it has to be Easter or the summer hols I'm afraid. Are the queues really horrendous at Easter? Kids normally break up in the summer around 20th July, is the weather better then or is this the hurricane season?
Yes, the parks are very busy at Easter - but this year and next year Easter is really early, and not all UK schools will be taking Easter week off (but will be taking a Spring Half Term instead).

I'm not sure how having an early Easter will affect the US holidays, but I'm guessing that if you have to go Easter, or even at 'Spring Half Term', then this year and next could possibly be better than most. :?
  • Edited by jdybnsn 2007-02-12 10:48:17
The hurricane season is from about June to November but you'd be very unlucky to get one. What you WILL be likely get is thunderstorms and humidity. Easter is the busiest time after Xmas. There's a site somewhere that gives you figures. I'll see if I can find it for you.
We went to Disney last year for the first 3 weeks of August (as we also have to go in school holidays)Had no problems wth the weather except a couple of short but fierce rainstorms we just put our ponchos on and carried on touring the theme parks whereas loads of other people rushed for the exits.It was hot but there are loads of places in the parks to cool off-lots of water fountains and water misters to stand in/under.The queues were quite long at the more popular attractions but remember to use the fastpass system for these,generally ride queues were about 15-20 mins long.
I've been 3 times at the end of July. The weather really isn't too much of a problem, it is humid and you do get rain for about 30 mins or so mid to late afternoon which kind of clears the air and brings the temperature down. But it is pretty easy to cope with a bit of planning.

For people who don't wish their kids to miss a minimum of a week off school the only other alternative is the 2 weeks at Easter when it is busy and more expensive.
Disney have published a list of what they call the "Wonderful Weeks of Disney" which they think are quieter times to visit. You can see it here
http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_touring/WeeksofDisney.htm
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good & reasonably priced hotel for a family of 4 to stay at for 2 weeks.

i am looking at package tours which would include car hire as want to book now to confirm the dates I want for Mid May 2008, does anyone also know when holidays go on sale for this date as at the moment they only go upto Apr 2008.

Any help would be appreciated
Hi there

Have you thought of renting a villa as you can get some fantastic ones often for less than it costs to stay in a hotel. Also you have much more room than a hotel room as 4 of you will be quite cramped in 1 room.

There is lots of advice on this forum regarding villas.

You can also book a flydrive with most airlines that fly to Florida. We went last year with Virgin. We booked our flights and car hire with them and then booked the villa direct with the owners. We also costed it with a package holiday and we saved ourselves about £1,500! and the saving more than covered the cost of theme park tickets.

Happy holidays!
Bizzilady
Hi Buzzilady

I had thought of the DIY option but when I looked at flights last year together with villa costs (there are 4 of us) there was no savings.

I was a also put of with the fact I had to wait nearer the time to book flights.

I may have all this completely wrong therefore appreciate your advice

Thanks
We've been to Florida a number of times over the years - most often d.i.y. but in summer 2005 we went with a package provided by Travel City Direct. We stayed at the Parkway International resort at 6200 Safari Trail, Kissimmee. (001 407 238 0007 if dialled from UK, fax on 001 407 396 6165)

This is part of the Island One resorts - Liki Tiki is another member.

The Parkway International resport is very well positioned; it's off Parkway Boulevard which is immed. opposite the main entrance to Disney's Celebration area and very close to Water Mania. The resport is a 100 yds away from the main junction of the I-4 and the Irlo Bronson Highway - route 192 - the main "drag" in Kissimmee. So access to the parks is quite easy - Disney being 5-15 minutes drive depending on which theme/water park you visit. Universal is probably 30-40 minutes drive depending upon times/traffic on the I-4.

The rooms at this resort are spacious and feature a full kitchen. It's almost like having a small, private villa but with the social benefits of being with other people. We once rented a villa and felt somewhat isolated.

I'm no great fan of TCD - we had a major complaint that trip re. late dep. from Manchester. However, the hotel was fantastic and I'd stay at either this or the Liki Tiki (further away from Kissimmee) anytime.

You might try contacting the resort directly and negotiate a rate - bargain as there's sometimes some movement in prices.

Scheduled flights are not necessarily expensive compared to a package and you do usually suffer less delays and hassle. I've just flown Man-Newark-Fort Lauderdale and back with Continental and it went like clockwork. Continental have connections to lots of places from Newark, New York. You might also find that spending a couple of days in N.Y. costs no more than the room cost.

Car-hire can be booked in advance in this country. Check out the complains section of this site and look for the car-hire info. provided by fwh who was active in that industry and shares his knowledge on h.t. to help avoid being under or over-insured on car-hire.

One thing to bear in mind if you d.i.y. - you'll not have the protection of the Package Tour rules. Delays by a scheduled airline causing lost days holiday and car-hire cannot easily be reclaimed. Ensure you have a firm reservation with the hotel. Pay where possible with credit cards even if there's a percentage fee - you get cover under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Look to buy your own insurance - even if you go with a package. Insure and Go have provide our annual couples cover (about £80) including travel to the U.S. Make sure you have $5,000,000 or so medical insurance cover.

Remember, there's an increased APD (Air Passenger Duty) applying now to long-haul flights, make sure your scheduled airfare quotes include ALL taxes and duties.

Beware with US hotel rates - they do NOT include the local taxes with can add a further 12 or so percent to the nightly rate. Clarify the inclusion or otherwise before booking. Get confirmations faxed back to you rather than emailed where possible.

d.i.y. gives you flexibility. You might think of a few days in Orlando doing the parks, then perhaps a trip to the gulf coast for a few nights, or the Keys. You could even fly into Orland (or Sanford) and out of some other airport often at little or no extra flight cost. If you do this check if one-way rental costs on the car apply.

Park tickets, especially for Universal can be purchased here in the UK, often online and using a credit card. We've done this a couple of times and saved money on the Universal. But BEWARE - you MUST take your credit card that you used to purchase such tickets with you the States as you'll need to insert into an automated ticket machine at the park entrance and after validation, your entry tickets are printed.

I mention this as you might have a replacement credit card provided by your issuer for any number of reasons - the original card number will differ from the replacement.

Whilst I also remember, pay as you go top-up facilities for mobiles tied into your credit card will also fail if you forget to update your records. I had my cr. cards stolen and replaced a week before travelling to the states - my top-up couldn't work.

You MUST take your driving licence if you are driving the rental car. I once forgot and realised mid-atlantic at 36,000 ft. It was no fun.

Enjoy :lol:
want to book for october this year staying near to universal studios, where the best place to book for whole package will we need to hire a car 2 adults 1 child aged 14 flights from manchester, never been before scary
have alook @ TravelCity Direct website,it allows you to go through entire booking including car hire,attraction tickets,etc.Only downside is that they only book for Max 14 days, also check out the dibb website
I was wondering if anyone knows what is the limit to draw out of an ATM machine in Orlando, international Drive....... I am using it for spends as i get paid whilst i am away. Can anyone help :wink: :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.