Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
change to flights
120 Posts
Just a thought about the flights that are now landing at Bourgas not Varna, is it a possibility that Bourgas is a cheaper option than Varna for the tour operators (fees etc to be paid to the airports). Presumably it is still more cost effective even when bussing customers to Varna area. It appears to be quite widespread this diverting to pick up other passengers from British airports, we had the same at Easter had to go via Manchester from Gatwick, only informed after we had booked. Still looking for a cheapish flight for the summer to Varna, may have to end up paying around £250-300 as I just cannot do late/early flight times both ways, it takes me days and days to recover...... oh to be young again.
Hi Nels,
is it a possibility that Bourgas is a cheaper option than Varna for the tour operators (fees etc to be paid to the airports).

As Fraport now operates both Airports, ground handling, landing fees, etc., are likely to be similar at both, I suspect.

Baldur
Hi Baldur, had not realised they were operated by the same company, it was just a thought as Varna is now an 'international' airport that they might have found a way to increase fees, if they have not then I dare say they will eventually. You are up early/late today, or is it the time difference!
You are up early/late today, or is it the time difference!

Time difference? - I'm in South Wales :wink:
It's still plain old Летище Варна (Varna Airport) as far as the website's concerned.

Baldur
Just back from Bulgaria, with the journey from hell both ways, courtesy of Bulgarian Airways.

Firstly, our daytime flights, booked last year, were changed to nighttime flights with around 3 weeks notice......this was annoying because the kids want to look out of the aircraft window and the times were just generally convenient for arriving at a sensible time...no particular reason was given other than 'operational'.

Then the flight out from hell: an hour late leaving Gatwick, we were diverted from Bourgas to Varna, apparently due to weather conditions, it was foggy at Varna when we landed so presumeably it was worse at Bourgas, but then we were kept sitting around the airport with no information at all for around 4 hours to await transfer.

What was particularly annoying was that one flight's passengers were transferred by plane when the fog cleared, a 10 minute flight, but the Gatwick flight we were on was transferred by ancient coach- a journey over two and a half hours long with a driver who spent his time yacking on his phone whilst overtaking.......after leaving Gatwick at around 10pm we finally got to Sunny beach at around 8:30 Bulgarian time.

The homeward journey was worse. The flight was due to leave Bourgas at 17:15...we arrived at the airport to be told we wouldn't be leaving until 02:15....a 9 hour delay, due to unspecified "problems at gatwick" .....at around 20:30 the airline served us up some food, which was a chicken and rice dish which they didn't bother to thaw out first, so all we actually could eat was the bread roll........

We finally took off at 02:15 as they'd said but we never found out why we were delayed, I think it was because they didn't have a plane and already knew it long before we were due to leave.

To cap it all the Airbus they took us home on had the shortest seat pitch of anything I've ever been on and the seatback and table were both broken, not just on my seat either, and |I'd have thought a locking seatback would be a safety thing.....not forgetting the floppy armrest... :roll:

That was the first and last time I'm going anywhere on Bulgarian Airways!!
we were diverted from Bourgas to Varna, apparently due to weather conditions, it was foggy at Varna when we landed so presumeably it was worse at Bourgas, but then we were kept sitting around the airport with no information at all for around 4 hours to await transfer.

That I can understand in a way. It happened to us once in the UK when a flight from Varna to Leeds & Bradford was diverted to Manchester, and yes you do have to wait hours for a transfer even here, because the bus sets off from the airport you should have landed at when you land. It is also the case that both Black Sea airports are susceptible to fog.

However, the rest is horrific, and you prove one thing we have been saying for a while. Bring back the Tupolevs, the Airbuses are garbage scows by comparison!

Peter
Hi bxbodger,

That's not at all good.

That was the first and last time I'm going anywhere on Bulgarian Airways!!

I can understand your feelings, however, just some clarification for the benefit of others, there is no such airline as 'Bulgarian Airways'.

You appear to be referring to Balkan Holidays Airlines, as the scheduled airline which flies from Gatwick is Bulgaria Air, which uses Boeing, rather than Airbus aircraft, and does not fly to Burgas.

Baldur
is there a website for bourgas airport baldur :?
There is.
I cant post the link as I am not yet allowed having not posted enough. But Google is a wonderful thing just seek and thou shalt find.

Cheers
Cham
is there a website for bourgas airport baldur

If you click on the Varna one that I posted above, you'll find a link to Burgas from that. :wink:

......or you could just click here

Baldur
cheers baldur your the best :D
An airline that uses Airbuses is BH Air, which is used by Balkan Holidays, but it matters not which airline really.

The fact is that there have been an unprecedented number of flight changes this year which indicates to me numbers of UK tourists are again seriously down. It's a worsening situation year on year and the Bulgarians never seem to learn. I am told that numbers from the UK in 2006 were a third down on 2005, so why do Balkan Holidays sell a flight schedule which I don't think has changed for the best part of a decade?

The more people they sicken off this year by mucking about with flights or building site problems, the fewer will come next year because bad news spreads like wildfire.

The Bulgarians are experts at shooting themselves in the foot.

Peter
Hi Peter,

The fact that late bookings for 'flight only' deals from Balkan Holidays are available from £54 (plus ancillary charges) indicates just how low the booking rates appear to be.
I think you have made a good point Peter. I'm sure both you and Baldur are like me and have noticed that this forum is a lot more quiet than this time last year as it is. Annoying potential holidaymakers just makes it worse.
I also think it is reflected in the 2008 brochures. There seems to be very little in the FC brochure compared to those for this year. It does surprise me in many ways though since prices are still so reasonable especially for the school holidays.

Pam :D
not many people have written and the forum as yet but i am sure it will pick up when i few more people go over. Not sure about less people going over our two apartments have been booked up for 2 years
our two apartments have been booked up for 2 years

In that case you are lucky, I've heard of some people in York losing a lot of money.

It will get worse as prices rise due to EU entry.

Peter
letter arrived this morning going to manchester from newcastle on 10 sept (just as expected)
oh the joy sitting on the plane for at least an hour looking at manchester airport :lol:
still it makes the first beer all the more welcome
I fly from newcastle on the 1st of september now acording to burgas airport flights this is still coming from Newcastle no via or anything do you think its to early to think am safe? But it does seem just looking at these that this is very and i mean very common place with BH Air eg.. Liverpool vir exeter,Edinburgh via Birmingham and Newcastle via Manchester.Why dont they say this on the web site they are still selling these flights online without the infomation of these extra stops even though the people who have bought these flights holidays have already been informed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.