France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Ah .................... do you mean on 5 May?
Pigalle is near Montmartre and the Sacre Coeur, which are worth a visit.

If you haven't been to Paris before, you could get a coach tour, or a boat trip, there are several firms advertising these.

Alsacienne - what's happening in Paris on 5th May?
Thursday 5 May is Ascension Day and is therefore a Bank Holiday! There will still be shops and restaurants open but some museums may be closed. I'm taking advantage of it to fly back to the UK for a day and vote!
Take a little time to plan and you will be able to fit in an incredible amount! One word though I believe the metro station at Pigalle is closed at present so you will need to use one of the other stations nearby such as Anvers or Abbesses.

The area you are staying in has so much nearby. Sacre Coeur at the top of the hill and all those wonderful little shops and restaurants in the narrow streets surrounding it. It is actually a little cheaper to eat and drink around Montmatre than it is in the more central parts of Paris. I would recommend returning to that area in the evening.

A tour bus might be a good idea or if you are willing to study a few maps, save the euros and get the metro and walk. Go down to Invalides, walk past the hotel, taking in that stunning building and architecture then walk past the Ecole Militaire, turn right and walk through the Champs de Mars and enjoy a full on view of the Eiffel Tower. Time to queue and enjoy the views from the tower. Then walk over the Pont d'lena, on the opposite side of the tower to where you walked in towards the Jardins de Trocadero. Hop on the metro to Place de Concorde, choke on the traffic fumes, dodge the traffic and then walk through the Jardin des Tullieres towards the Louvre. You probably will not have time to visit the Louvre itself because once inside all sense of time disappears, save it for when you have more time. Walk past the Louvre and keeping near the Seine walk again towards Pont Neuf and the Isle de Cite. Passed the Conceierge and then on to Notre Dame.

We actually did this walk and took in an hour or so on the Eiffel Tower, with two children age 4 and 10 last October. It took all day with frequent stops for drinks and ice creams. We stopped for rests and enjuoyed the views. it wasn't hurried at all. I planned the route in advance and that proved to be the success behind it. If you don't fancy that and are more chilled then just go with flow and see where it takes you :-) Have a fantastic time.
Thanks for your replies... Yes, I do mean May 4th. Hope the bank holiday in Paris doesn't cause us too many issues.... but it will be a nice break anyway!!!

Thanks for the advice on the Metro about the Pigalle station. I might of panicked otherwise if it just didn't stop!! LOL

Do you think we could do the tour bus on a bank holiday?
I'm sure the bus tour will be running as normal! Have a great time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.