Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
hi we have reviews on the Alykanas Beach Aparthotel at aylkanas on zakinthos. is this the one you mean?

wizard
The accomodation is excellent and the village is very nice with an excellent choice of tavernas, however if it is a beach holiday you are after you will be very disappointed as the beach is virtually non existent.
Hi. We stayed there in June/July this year returning after 4 years. I have to say the apartments were spotless and the whole area was well cared for. We were just disappointed by how big it has got since we were there the first year it opened. The whole town seems to have become much more touristy which is a shame. Having said that it is not quite spoilt yet but we will not return again. Alikanas has some lovely tavernas, and for a good pizza if you want a change from all the wonderful greek food the apollo taverna has the drop on the others. Lovely big pizzas freshly made!

We also didnt like being hassled every night by the touts wanting you to take the free horse and cart to their particular taverna. We must have had enough paper to save a forest by the end of the fortnight. The other thing we found that has changed is that when you are relaxing by the pool you are pestered by sellers of fake cds and dvds but to be fair just say no and they go away. Im sure you will like it there if you have never been as it is still no where near as horrific as Laganas or Ibiza where the 18 - 20s hang out. Its a great place for families and couples.
Got back yesterday from Alykes (right 'next door' to Alikanas). Stayed at the Panorama Studios just across the salt flats.

I'll put a review up later but I must say we were pleasantly surprised with Alykes...and preferred it to Alikanas. It was very quiet but not dead. Seemed to be mostly couples...and young families. We went into Alikanas one evening for a meal, by horse and trap...which I initially did feel was a bit 'naff'...(wouldn't be so bad if they didn't wear cowboy gear :shock: )...but you get used to it over the holiday period.

We hired various forms of transport over the 2 weeks...jeep...buggy/go cart thing..and mountain bikes and did our own thing. The sandy beach in Alykes is excellent for young children (or non swimmers :lol: )....very calm...shallow...with sand banks.

We used to summer holiday in Greece years ago...left it for Turkey.....went to Rhodes in 2004...and thought we'd give it another try this summer. We thought Zakynthos would be VERY touristy though...but as I said..pleasantly surprised. HOWEVER.... :shock: we 'visited' Laganas beach area for about 15minutes....that was MORE than enough :shock: :lol:
I know everything is personal choice, but I have to say that Alikanas in Zante was our least favourite resort/Island. 4 years ago we thought it was too touristy and would never ever go back. If you like karaoke, music bars and places to watch premeirship football, then this is the place for you. If you want to go to a traditional Greek environment, then go to Lesbos, Alonnisos and some of the smaller islands.
ste.h

We went in 2005 and loved it so much we have also booked to go again July next year. Will probably see you at the bar for a beer :D

Yes there are touts, yes there are people selling fake CDs etc and yes there are SOME restaurants and bars showing live football but this did not put us off and we cannot wait to get back there again

We had a fantastic holiday there and a lot of people we met go back year after year - must say something about the place! The apartments are spotless, ideal for children. I would say its a holiday resort for families not for 18-30 holidays ! A friend of ours works in the travel industry and these apartments get booked up very quickly in the summer months so I think we have booked at the right time.

The only negative comment would be that the pool is small for the amount of people using it but the beach is right on the door step. THere is also the usual towel brigade out at all hours to reserve sunbeds but in saying all that you will have a fab time.

Ali x
Hi Rhombus - we only went one evening into Alikanas...had a meal and straight back to Alikes. Alikes had NO karaoke bars at all. A couple of bars that played 'english' music - like Jungle Bar.....but all the restaurants played Greek music. Yes...there were tv sets..some showing football...but I'm afraid you get that on other Greek islands, Turkey...even India I'm afraid. :cry:

Yes, you are now getting the hawkers on the beach, fake cds, massages etc. ...but then again... have you been to Thailand or India? :lol: At least a polite 'no thanks' and they went on their way! :lol: :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.