Other Destinations Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in other destinations. Inc Brazil, Australia, New Zealand.
Well Willie G -you are certainly right about not many HTers having been there before. If they have they haven't written about it. Funnily enough my neighbour has worked over there( oil industry). What made you decide to pick that destination?
How long did the journey actually take?
Thanks for the report- fascinating!
Fiona,

The journey over took 14 hours (including a stop over at Amsterdam for breakfast at Murphy's). The return journey took a little longer as I missed my connection (breakfast and a few Murphy's at Murphy's resulted in a 4 hour delay).

Almaty was the chosen destination as my partner was having difficulty getting a visa for travel outside Kazakhstan, so we met up there.

Hopefully, our next holiday will be in Egypt, but time will tell.

Cheers

Willie G
I wondered if there had been problems with KLM - I have nightmare memories of them! Thanks again Willie- I like reading your reports!
Fiona,

I know what you mean about KLM, they still hold the record as the only company to lose my baggage (transfer through Schipol on my way to Ravenna May 2004). Since then I have had no real problems.

The reason for the delay on my return flight was a combination of the dark stuff (Murphy's fine stout) and the good company that I enjoyed in the bar.

A little point of interest. I mentioned the mare's milk that I tried in Almaty. Apparently this is what the Steppe people drank instead of alchohol many years (centuries?) ago. Nowadays it's consumed purely to honour their Kazakh traditions. Well worth a try if you visit this country.

Maybe some other HT's could let us know what unusual drinks/foods they have tried while abroad.

Willie G
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.