Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
The train station is linked to the airport. Double decker trains take you into the heart of the town in about 30 min , it's very easy .

You can visit Anne Franks house, they have an Amsterdam dungeon which was fun, the hard rock was good there, they have an ice bar, you can do the canal trip.
The floating flower market is worth a visit .

You will have fun x
Remember the Rijksmuseum is now fully open again, easily worth a visit, or the Van Gogh Museum is just 5 minutes from there (both on Museumplein); I love the Amstelkring, a church hidden in the attics of 3 houses to avoid persecution.
If the weather's nice, a stroll through Vondelpark is nice, and I think the Heineken brewery still does tours
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/netherlands/amsterdam/artist-house-apartments/
These apartments were in a great position. Their website photos are a true reflection. Chinatown has loads of good restaurants and its a short walk to the Dam area.
We didn't have long as we were there because OH was running the marathon. But a very short report here.
If you have mobility problems, the apartments did have steep stairs, as do many places in Amsterdam.
Get the train into town. A single ticket is €3.90 and they don't do return tickets. There are 3 regular trains an hour and the journey is approximately 20 minutes. There is also left luggage lockers at Centraal station. There is a journey planner available here for trains With a more general one here.

The public transport network within Amsterdam is also very reliable if very busy. If you are going to be using the trams more than 3 times a day then buy a day ticket (or however many consecutive days you shall be there). The tickets work very like an Oyster Card, even hour and day tickets.

Also in the Museum quarter is the Stadelijk museum that reopened last year. From the time spent in the small wing that was open at the Rijksmuseum last december I would say that the whole museum may require a whole day.

The Heinekin experience is great fun I will admit to that. It doubles as the brewery tour but is a bit more interactive.
The one surprise to me was that you can walk easily to most places you want to visit. I thought we would use transport a lot more than we did.
We booked online for Anne Franks Museum. Link.
We would have had a long wait if we hadn't. (however it was the marathon weekend).
The other tip for the Anne Frank house is to go at the end of the day as the queues all just seem to vanish. Saying that I'm generally there in the winter so I can't say for certain if this happens during the summer as well.

It costs an extra €0.50 to prebook but it is well worth it.
Thank you all for your replys will look forward to our visit later in the year.
Thanks,

Dave.
well seeing as no one else is going to say it......the red light area is only fun at night, nothing happens through the day.
I was there two weeks ago, three couples all in our mid 50s...

Had an absolute blast!!

Do a coffee shop, canal tour, floating flower market worth a look, The Heineken tour is Ok if that's your thing (but I don't think that they actually brew there any more...)
Train or bus from Airport into city centre, everything easy to get to as it's on the flat...

Avoid the bars around Rembrandtplatz - rip-off tourist traps..

Warning!! - beware of the cycle tracks, keep clear, and watch out for the trams!!

But overall have a great time, it's a really fabulous friendly city...

ATB,J.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.