EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
The purchasing process in Spain is very simple but you need to get an independant legal advisor not the one recommended by an agent.
Any agent will try to sell you a new build as there commission is higher but there are thousands of resale properties available where you can see exactly what you are getting and amenities will already be in place.
Again with regards to rental potential there are thousands of properties there now so you need to be near a beach,bars and restaurants,sea views etc to give yourselves a better chance.The majority of new builds are now inland.
I would suggest going on the inspection trip,get a good feel for the areas you like and then go back independantly and look for resales.If you drive around you will see the Se Vende boards on properties and may be able to cut out agents completely.There are bargains out there still.
you need to get an independant legal advisor not the one recommended by an agent.

I'm not quite sure why you said that. I'm not looking for a 'fight' but could you explain?

The company that I used to work for provided a list of lawyers that clients had previously dealt with and had found to be efficient (and also spoke English). Obviously, people could choose any lawyer, but it seems sensible to have a recommended lawyer.

Any agent will try to sell you a new build as their commission is higher

Nope - actually it's lower on a new build.

I'm actually with a company that doesn't sell on the Costa Blanca, but for a long time I worked for a company that did, and I was responsible for their Costa Blanca clients.

Again - I'm not looking to pick a fight - but reading the original posting, I have the feeling that a lot more research needs to be done before going on an inspection trip or considering a purchase.

(I could write a book - but let's see if anything further develops)
Don't know where you operate but commissions to agents on the costa del sol are 10% to 15% for off-plan sales. If you look at some of the other forums you will see why it is advisable to get a lawyer independent of the agent/developer.
"The purchasing process in Spain is very simple but you need to get an independant legal advisor not the one recommended by an agent"

I agree with Robert.
Don't trust the agent ! We bought a house in Javea and had a bad experience .
We heard about that from many other buyers
Hi,
There are many things to consider when buying property in Spain and one of the things which people tend to overlook is having a survey carried out. Depending on the result of the survey this can be used as a bargaining tool as well as highlighting any defects; don't forget Spanish building is very different from UK building!
Check out this website: http://www.csservicesdenia.com
I can recommend C. S. Services Denia they provide a very good service, are helpful people and the report I received was very easy to read.
HTH
Laguna
Hi all.
We have been looking at buying a house there for a year and have had quite a few trips. First was with Parador and subsequent alone.
I agree that you should be a little careful about solicitors. We loved a house in Catral. The nearby solicitors say that they are fine although built on rustic land with less than 10,000 sq mtrs. Our solictor says no way.

Your choice but with an inspection trip, the houses are usually pretty legal. :D
Thanks everyone for your advice and I'm pleased to say we have bought off plan. We feel pretty comfortable about it all - I hope it stays like that 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.