Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
I stayed there one night - but it was 1980 so possibly not really that relevant! As i remember it was like a collection of different styles just banged together, there was a quite pleasant stylish bit, an almost provincial town bit and various port bits ranging from seedy to industrial. And all this was in walking distance. Not a place I've ever felt the urge to return to!

But that said, around 30 - 60 miles either side there are some nice resorts so if you had a car and the concert was in an accessible area it might be worth it.
Hi- have only called there for one day on a cruise. It was interesting, and we enjoyed it, but one day was enough, not a place I'd go to for longer. That said, there were attractions at the harbour, aquarium, pirate ship from pirates of the caribbean, a viewing tower, a rainforest dome etc. There was a hop on/ off bus ride, Columbus' house, some attractive squares and architecture. The streets between the harbour and town were VERY narrow and dark with tall buildings- atmospheric in the day time, but possibly a bit spooky at night. As steve said, there are the cinque terre towns just along the coast (west), accessible by train from Genoa. Going east, Portofino and Santa Margarita about 25 miles by train. Hope this helps.
kate
Thx for taking the time to reply.
Not convinced it's be worth the trip. Still pondering! :think
Hi- that info about Cinque Terre towns is wrong, sorry! It's actually south East of Genoa, and about 1hour 50 mins on the train. Sorry about that- senior moment! (The rest IS right!)
kate
Whilst the Cinque Terre is east (definately!) the likes of San Remo and the Ligurian riviera are west so the choice is still there. The west side gives the option of using cheap flights to Nice (much more choice) if you hire a car.
I too was there for a couple of nights on a choir tour, and would strongly recommend that you avoid any hotels close to the port that overlook the elevated ring road!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.