Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
who knows!!!!, you never really know whether or not the hotel staff have kept spare keys and can access the safe when your not there. However i would say that the more reputable and larger the hotel the less chance of this happening. Should items go missing from the safe you should be covered okay by your insurance although a police report would be necessary,,,,,then again, they probably wouldnt believe you!

Ive never yet had anything stolen from a safe whilst being on holiday in ibiza so i guess its better to use the safe than stick your valuables in your suitcase or under the pillow

welcome to the forum by the way! :D
I would image that most establishments have master keys to the safes, which they keep in their safe, for the simple reason that it is easier to have another key cut if the tourist loses theirs, than having to buy another safe, but access to those master keys will not be available to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Some safes don't use keys, they require a digital combination of numbers and the chances of anyone knowing the combination that you have entered, must be millions to one.

Just be aware that most safes are not insured for vast amounts of money and if you put a thousand pounds in hard cash inside and the safe does get broken into, then you will have quite a hard time trying to prove to the insurance company that you had that amount inside in the first place.
Each "group" of hotels will insure their safes for a certain amount and if it is broken into, then I presume your insurance will pay you out and then they will make a claim against the hotel.

Valuables like jewellery, I recommend that you take a photo of them before you go and if you really want to be double sure, then take a photo of them in the safe and of the safe, but hope the safe doesn't get broken into with the camera inside.

If you don't use a safe, you may find that your insurance policy will become void because you have NOT taken the appropriate measures to safeguard your valuables, as recommended by your insurance company, the TO etc.
Then you will have to fall back on your home insurance policy, but if you do not have the appropriate insurance policy and are not insured for loss outside your home....... sadly you are up the creek without a paddle. :cry:

Always use a safe, for a small price to pay it is without doubt , better than nothing. :wink:

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
The risk of losing anything from the safe is so small, it's not worth worrying about. The cleaners and hotel staff rely on the tourist industry for theit liveilhood so to run the risk of getting caught is not worth it to them. If they were to get caught they would probably never get another job on the Island.
Last year in San Miguel a couple that we met went home at the end of our first week and the lady left a pair of diamond earings on the dressing table in her hurry to get the coach to the airport. The cleaner handed them into reception. When the lady realised she had left them behind she phoned the hotel and was told that they were safe. She asked the receptionist if she could give them to us so as we could return them to her in the UK.
The Thomsons rep gave them to us and we posted them onto her on our return.
Don't worry, - be sensible and keep the key with you at all times and just enjoy the beautiful resort of San Miguel.
thanks people for your help
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.