EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
banking.
6 Posts
We've got a savings account with the HSBC in Turkey (my husband is Turkish so opening the account was easy - not sure whether this is available for UK citizens).

In the past a lot of banks in Turkey have collapsed due to money swindling, so it is always worth making sure the bank you choose is reputable, hence the reason we chose HSBC.
Let me know if you can open one but I think you have to be here. You will need a tax number....no problem just a copy of your passport and fill in a form.
you can open any currency account in turkey and transfer into it. Beware that they will charge commission if you take out that currency rather than YTL

http://www.clubrena.com ..... escape
if you are buying property here then you need a bank account. the is bank is one of the best and has branches in london (say it ish) also the garanti bank is sound and Yapi Kredi they also have banks in the uk.
a foreign currency account is best as you can withdraw in your own currency if you haave funds transferred in from abroad. if you have a ytl account thenyou can only withdraw turkish currency. openi
ng is simple.. just like in the uk.proof of identity and a tax number. :D
I advise open the bank account in sterling as if the TL crashes or has a blip then your purchase will cost more - of course if the sterling falls or has a blip it will go against you but it is more likely to be the TL that falls historically. You will need a tax number here which is very easy to get. Banks I use Yapi Kredi which are fairly good and in my case give me better rate that I can get anywhere else -because I had words with the manager on this issue- Garantee bank have a reputation for poor service dont know personally but if you trawl other expat sites you will see what I mean. You can draw the money in the currency you require (GBP or TL ) but here its best to give the bank 1 days notice if you are going to pull big amounts of cash- its not the UK afterall. Yapi Kredi also have a London branch dont know where though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.