Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
Banks
9 Posts
Hiya,i have come to the conclusion that euro travelers cheques are a little bit of a rip off,the spanish banks and exchanges seem to allways charge a commision even though it is there currency.take sterling travelers cheques at least you you wont be charged commision at 'no Commision' exchanges.
Has anybody actually changed Euro cheques in a bank? Do they defo charge commission if so how much is it? I am not keen to take sterling cheques as then I have to spend my holiday hunting for a rate I am happy with. That is not my idea of fun. I would rather do it once at home and be done with it.
Does anyone still use travellers cheques? Take a bit of cash to get you started, pay for big purchases on your credit cards and use your debit card to get money out of the holes in the wall. It's a lot less hassle than trawling around trying to find a bank when you could be on the beach or worrying that the hotel charges 1% more than the bureau de change which in turn might or might not be more expensive than the bloke behind the bar who accepts them as payment for drinks!
Funofthefair it will depend on what bank the issuer of your euro cheques has an agrrement with. Find out from your cheque issuer who they have the agreement with first. Normally the cheque issuer has an agreement with one of the main banks in Spain to exchange them for no comission.

You'll find a listing of banks here along with their websites. Just scroll down the page a little.
I found last year in Menorca that the apartment admin office charged 1% on Euro Cheques but the bank in town charged me about 5%. This year I'm going to take some cash and me debit and credit cards.
Just a wee reminder to everyone to check what their banks are charging to use their debit cards abroad. It may not be free like it is at home! I am not using traveller's cheques because I like living in the dark ages, but because my bank charges 2.75% commission to use my debit card plus £1.50 per transaction! I believe Nationwide don't charge anything but they knocked me back for an account!
Thanks to Allmen I have looked up who American Express Travellers Cheques Fee Free Partners are. In San An you can cash AMEX cheques for free at Banco Santander Central Hispano which has 2 branches, 6 Ramon y Cajal & Maritim s/n
Glad to be of help. Enjoy your holiday remember to explore the island a bit as it is worthwhile and won't take long and send a report to the hotel reviews forum of where you were staying. All reports on hotels and apartments are welcome.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.