Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
beer
23 Posts
hi welcome to HT

member Sarges will advise you on the local brews....

have you read through the members recommended restaurant thread

you will find quite a bit of info there

wizard
member Sarges will advise you on the local brews....

Wiz, looks like you've invented a new lager......but I'm sure SAGRES will put you right :rofl

When we were there last, you could get a pint for between 1.50 - 2.00 euros. But if you search around the strip area and near the bullring you might still find the odd place selling for less.
Pat
:glynis
:D thanx for that i dont drink lager but my husband does when we went to fuerteventura last march we paid 1.50. to 2.00 euros for a pint of there local lager and just wondered about algarve as this is our first time going :sun2
The closest thing you'll get to a pint is a Caneca (CAN-NECK-CAR) which is half a litre.The main local brews are Sagres , Superbock and, if you're very, very lucky, Cristal, but the latter is rarely found in draught form, only bottled.From time to time you'll see Tagus available, but my advice is: if you can't get draught Cristal, then Sagres is your best bet; the other two should only be considered in cases of extreme emergency.
(This information is the result of many years of painstaking research and is made available as a free service exclusively to members of Holidaytruths.) :glynis
(This information is the result of many years of painstaking research and is made available as a free service exclusively to members of Holidaytruths.)

:que :rofl :rofl :cheers
Also be aware that a 'large beer' in many bars is 40cl or two-thirds of a pint, so what looks like a €2 bargain is actually costing you €3 a pint. Also some bars are using US pint glasses, which are just over 50cl (half a litre) and some 12% less than a UK pint. There are several respectable bars using real UK pint glasses and properly filled.

I have tried and failed to explain, to Portuguese persons, the difference between a UK and a US pint!

The cheapest proper pint I am currently finding is €2.25, the average is €2.50 and some charge €3 or the equivalent thereof.

This information is also brought to readers of this forum free of charge and is also the result of several years diligent research.
thank-you my husband will gat what hes given then he wont get so drunk if the glasses are smaller although it may make him drink more :rofl
Yep, agree with Sagres,

1st Cristal
2nd Sagres

.....after that anything else on the go but Superbock only if I absolutely have to ;) Superbock is Singing Ginger :tongue

Lummie
do these lager taste anything like carling or carlsberg as thats what the other half likes to drink :wave:
what about english beers..are smiths, tetleys freely available
im not a big beer drinker but my husband drinks lager tetley is bitter isnt it
Don't know about Carling or Carlsberg as dont drink them. British beers are freely available in British pubs but cost a fair bit in most cases.

I think Superbock tastes like Budweiser, nuff said really.

Lummie :cheers
I know a place that sells big bottles of Cristal Sabres and Super bock its only a small bar off the strip called Walkers bar which used to be Monkeys bar.Dont know if any other member knows about this place?? The price was 1 euro a bottle:-)
if thats the price then my husbnd will go out of his way to find that bar :tup
Easy to find really when you fon a bar called Libertos there is a road on the left side of that bar that has a few more bars like Mustangs, Green bar, Celebration. Just keep going up that road Walkers is located not far up the road,usually opens at 5pm weekdays and 12 oclock weekends if im not mistaken.
If you get fed up of the pale lagers and want to stand out from the crowd ask for Super Bock Stout or Sagres Preta which are darker and malty and actually taste of something. You could also look for (but may not find) Sagres Bohemia which looks like bitter but is almost twice the strength, a nice way to wind off the evening (well it usually ends mine!).

Details of the Sagres range here

Sagres (the beer, not our member!) is actually owned by Scottish and Newcastle.
...which in turn will become part of Heineken and Carlsberg by the end of this month...

Heineken will be the actual owners of the Portuguese brands.

I'll get me anorak...
Are there any of these beer's not too gassy?

wgipk.
Sagres Preta is not as gassy as the standard Sagres, I find; but don't worry about gas too much - you're on holiday - enjoy yourself !! :oops: :oops: :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.